Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Err..

Has it been confirmed that Furlong has signed a new contract?

I wouldn't panic. This signing follows the departure of Aungier, Salanoa and now Bent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

sydthebeat wrote: »
    he'd be very very good for a 3rd choice tight head..... as hes pretty much crusaders 1st choice

swiwi would give us a better inside track on him

Good to know, thanks!

Little bit leery about what this means for Furlong/Porter. We know money is tight right now. Hopefully it's not a case of either leaving the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I hear you're a racist now, Clegg.

I'm still a bit baffled by the post tbh.

To think I'd ever soil my my person stepping foot in Willow Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Van Grann on the blower desperately asking to swap for Salanoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Err..

Has it been confirmed that Furlong has signed a new contract?

Thornley said a few weeks back he had signed a new 2 year central deal. Don't think there was any confirmation of it though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/bountiful-years-ahead-as-tadhg-furlong-enters-third-phase-of-career-1.4514651

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Watching against the head on rte2 and not a clip from the Leinster match?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,219 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Watching against the head on rte2 and not a clip from the Leinster match?

They don't have the rights to it. Simple as dat.

They're discussing the outcome now.

From whats been posted Ala'alatoa looks like he'll be a good signing. And we'll certainly need a quality tight head when Porter and Furlong are away.

Tbh I think this is a signing that would've made more sense for Munster though. We've seen that Archer and Ryan arent good enough to get them competing at the highest level, but no moves have been made to strengthen that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,219 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It might have made sense, had he wanted to play for them.

Munster means no more to the SH lads these days than a Montpellier or a Gloucester. He's coming, I daresay, because its an opportunity to play for Leinster, not any random Club.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It might have made sense, had he wanted to play for them.

Munster means no more to the SH lads these days than a Montpellier or a Gloucester. He's coming, I daresay, because its an opportunity to play for Leinster, not any random Club.

Oh, I'm not saying Munster should have went for him specifically, but rather they need a quality tighthead and there doesn't appear to be any signs of them recruiting for that position.

Leinster took them apart up front a few weeks ago. The difference in quality between the front 5 forwards was very noticeable in particular. Just seems like Leinster have been more proactive in recruiting there than Munster who desperately need more quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Is Alaalatoa not first choice at Crusaders? He isn't coming here to be 3rd choice behind Furlkng and Porter surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Are they switching Porter back to LH? I have no idea why that came to mind but I think I read it on here

I wonder if we made an effort to sign Oli Jager? Would make sense seeing as Irish.

Although I'm pretty sure I read he was very happy in NZ. Maybe he just didn't want to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wonder if we made an effort to sign Oli Jager? Would make sense seeing as Irish.

Even if they did and he was available, this summer is hardly the best time to be convincing a young Irish lad to move from New Zealand to Ireland!

molloyjh wrote: »
    Is Alaalatoa not first choice at Crusaders? He isn't coming here to be 3rd choice behind Furlkng and Porter surely?

Yeah he's started most games for them so far this season.

It's an interesting one, be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next couple weeks when more information comes to light about the signing.

Could be a case that the money was just significantly better as he's played for Samoa and isn't qualified to play for the ABs, or else there might be a plan in place for Porter to shift (although I still doubt we'll see that), but Thornley is saying it's being discussed

Even if they did and he was available, this summer is hardly the best time to be convincing a young Irish lad to move from New Zealand to Ireland!

Very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

NZ doesn't really do marquee non-eligible players so I don't imagine he'd be on much.

I assumed this prop was a backup at the Crusaders. If he's a starter there, he's not replacing Michael Bent like for like.

• Advertisement

hahashake wrote: »
    NZ doesn't really do marquee non-eligible players so I don't imagine he'd be on much.

He is eligible isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

He is eligible isn't he?

Played for Samoa.

He is eligible isn't he?

No he's been capped for Samoa a fair few times, played in the RWC against us

hahashake wrote: »
    Played for Samoa.

Sorry got my wires crossed with the Oli Jaeger conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I assumed this prop was a backup at the Crusaders. If he's a starter there, he's not replacing Michael Bent like for like.

Not really a back up. 49 appearances for the Crusaders in the last 4 seasons. 34 of those have been starts. Not a key player for them by any stretch but his profile in NZ rugby seems closer to Nathan White than Michael Bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

No one:
    Absolutely no one:
    Stephen Jones: toner for the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭mun1

But, but, but................... like what happened to the conveyor belt , goys ?

mun1 wrote: »
    But, but, but................... like what happened to the conveyor belt , goys ?

Munster and Connacht decided to give Leinster's youth a chance! :)

mun1 wrote: »

They're all playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭mun1

Isn’t this signing gong to severely limit the gametime and development of <insert Leinster academy tighthead name here >.

This signing will help to develop <insert name of Leinster academy tighthead >.

Advertisement