Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭theVersatile

This will be a handy signing, assuming at least one of Furlong and/or Porter tour this Summer for the Lions and have have an extended break when they return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

mun1 wrote: »
    Isn’t this signing gong to severely limit the gametime and development of <insert Leinster academy tighthead name here >.

This signing will help to develop <insert name of Leinster academy tighthead >.

The Leinster academy THs got shipped out to Munster and Connacht. Which is probably why he's signing.

Anyway I find it a weird signing from his point of view. I don't know a massive amount about him but I gather he's pretty good, so why is he signing in a position where Leinster have two internationals (i.e. he doesn't make the 23 for Europe), and also why would you move from NZ to Ireland during the Covid timeline? Anyway hope it works out for all involved. He seems like the player Munster should have been after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Clegg wrote: »
    They're all playing for Ireland.

And the ones who aren't are playing for Ulster, Munster and Connacht.

It's not good news for Vakh but after him, we're very bare and need cover for the prolonged absences of Porter and Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

mun1 wrote: »
    Isn’t this signing gong to severely limit the gametime and development of <insert Leinster academy tighthead name here >.

This signing will help to develop <insert name of Leinster academy tighthead >.
    What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭crisco10

I almost forgot the feeling of signing random NIQs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Terrific signing, Vakh is only returning from a long term back injury and Tom Clarkson is out with what I here on the Leinster forum is supposed to be a serious knee injury so strong cover is needed with Porter/Furlong on international duty and Lions as well. Our only defeat in the Pro 14 came from a very young front row getting minced against Ospreys in the scrum. Without Bent I don't think Leinster would have had such a comfortable time at top of the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wonder if we made an effort to sign Oli Jager? Would make sense seeing as Irish.

Although I'm pretty sure I read he was very happy in NZ. Maybe he just didn't want to come back.

Oli Jager might make sense for Munster but he is not going to move to Leinster to compete with Furlong and Porter (even if he would move full stop).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Jager was interviewed on Second Captains a few months ago, didn't sound like he'd any interest in coming back.

He'd come here for the money which would be far more than what he is getting in Crusaders as he is not Kiwi qualified. He's going on 30 and has won everything he can with the Crusaders so why not in the next few years go North make money ad live mortgage free in New Zealand when you retire or buy a second property or more etc. Your earnings as a pro are finite so make hay while the sun shines

Juventu4 wrote: »
    He'd come here for the money which would be far more than what he is getting in Crusaders as he is not Kiwi qualified. He's going on 30 and has won everything he can with the Crusaders so why not in the next few years go North make money ad live mortgage free in New Zealand when you retire or buy a second property or more etc. Your earnings as a pro are finite so make hay while the sun shines

He's 25 and why wouldn't he be qualified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Terrific signing, Vakh is only returning from a long term back injury and Tom Clarkson is out with what I here on the Leinster forum is supposed to be a serious knee injury so strong cover is needed with Porter/Furlong on international duty and Lions as well. Our only defeat in the Pro 14 came from a very young front row getting minced against Ospreys in the scrum. Without Bent I don't think Leinster would have had such a comfortable time at top of the league.

Selective memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Podge_irl wrote: »

Deja vu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bazzo wrote: »
    Selective memory!

The connacht game was abandoned and declared null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Money probably is better here but he isnt going on 30.... he's 25.
    capped by Samoa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He's talking about Alaalatoa, not Jager

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Then somebody needs to update his wikipedia and let the rugby media know, they all have him down as 29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Watched the match again tonight. On about 27 minutes the Exeter number 3 enters a ruck from the side and puts a big hit on Healy just above knee level. it could have seriously damaged him except for the fact that he has legs like tree trunks. These sort of deliberate attempts to damage knees should be a red card offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Cracking signing. It's a weird one in that he's not in the European squad with Porter & Furlong there, but he would probably be the starter for any of the other provinces.

On the Crusaders website they have his DOB down as 28-08-1991 so that's where I'm going with 29, yeah forgot about the Connacht defeat the one Leinster game I didnt watch this season.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Jager was interviewed on Second Captains a few months ago, didn't sound like he'd any interest in coming back.

I've read several interviews with Jager - He has no interest in coming back to Ireland.

Enjoying the rugby , settled down with a local girl etc.

• Advertisement

He's talking about Alaalatoa, not Jager

Gotcha.

No one is doubting why Alaalatoa would come to Leinster though.

I think I'd prefer no NIQ signings going forward with an eye on development for Ireland. We've only four professional teams. Gametime is at such a premium that plenty of leinster players are leaving already.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gotcha.

No one is doubting why Alaalatoa would come to Leinster though.

Anyway I find it a weird signing from his point of view. I don't know a massive amount about him but I gather he's pretty good, so why is he signing in a position where Leinster have two internationals (i.e. he doesn't make the 23 for Europe), and also why would you move from NZ to Ireland during the Covid timeline? Anyway hope it works out for all involved. He seems like the player Munster should have been after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

prawnsambo wrote: »
    What are you on about?

The same thing he was on about on LeinsterFans. Drawing a false equivalence between this and the Jenkins signings (and complaints that went along with it). Because signing a 3rd SA in the same position to play alongside a Leinster player all ahead of local talent is somehow the same as signing a single Kiwi to play behind 2 local lads who are the 2 Irish THs on the national team and ahead of 1 local lad is somehow the same.

For me, I'm a bit confused about it. Is he really coming here to play a bunch of P14 games? Whatever about Leinster, is that what he really wants? We do need another TH. With Furlong and Porter away with Ireland and/or rested we only have 2 THs in the squad. But you have to wonder if one of Furlong and Porter are off somewhere (doubtful) or if Porter is maybe moving across as a longer term successor to Healy at Leinster and Ireland (possible). It will be interesting to see where this is going.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well bent has played 15 out of a possible 21 games so far this season, not bad for a third choice.

Alaatoa will be 30 at the start of next season.

Maybe he is actually happy to come for a few years as third choice, make a few quid, while playing a decent chunk of league games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's a interesting signing. Good cover for when Porter and Furlong are away during 6 Nations but during the AIs, he'll be away with Samoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭swiwi_

How good is Ala'alatoa?

If he's first full strength 23 good then we could see Porter move back to loose head? Or to Munster probably.

Since he plays for the crusaders he’s by definition the greatest TH prop known to man.

I’d say he’ll be in a battle with Porter for 2nd vs 3rd TH. he’s an upgrade on Bent IMHO.

I rate him higher than Jager but ironically this will probably keep the Irishman at the crusaders as he’ll have a good chance to nail down a starting spot.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It might have made sense, had he wanted to play for them.

Munster means no more to the SH lads these days than a Montpellier or a Gloucester. He's coming, I daresay, because its an opportunity to play for Leinster, not any random Club.

Nailed it! Any kiwi always has the ultimate career goal of representing the blue of Leinster :)

molloyjh wrote: »
    Is Alaalatoa not first choice at Crusaders? He isn't coming here to be 3rd choice behind Furlkng and Porter surely?

Yip first choice. Basically since Owen franks moved on.

So my assessment:

More than a decent scrummager. Crusaders scrum has been a weapon at times this season. Will at the very least hold his own. Does the prop basics such as lifting, cleanouts, ruck pillar well and gets the odd tackle turnover too. Generally pretty athletic, but this is probably where his age is beginning to tell a little - slightly less dynamic this season.

IMO will be comfortably the best 3rd choice prop in the Irish provinces. Whether he is good enough to deplace Porter I'm not sure: Porter is a very decent prop and he is younger. But for Leinster you have got to be pretty smug getting a 3rd choice TH prop who would have challenged for starter at the other provinces...

Edit: as an aside molloyjh, do you think Porter might move to LH on a permanent basis? Do you rate Porter a better TH or LH? I cant for the life of me remember which side he played when he tore up the U20 tournament, but I'm thinking LH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Yip first choice. Basically since Owen franks moved on.

So my assessment:

More than a decent scrummager. Crusaders scrum has been a weapon at times this season. Will at the very least hold his own. Does the prop basics such as lifting, cleanouts, ruck pillar well and gets the odd tackle turnover too. Generally pretty athletic, but this is probably where his age is beginning to tell a little - slightly less dynamic this season.

IMO will be comfortably the best 3rd choice prop in the Irish provinces. Whether he is good enough to deplace Porter I'm not sure: Porter is a very decent prop and he is younger. But for Leinster you have got to be pretty smug getting a 3rd choice TH prop who would have challenged for starter at the other provinces...

Edit: as an aside molloyjh, do you think Porter might move to LH on a permanent basis? Do you rate Porter a better TH or LH? I cant for the life of me remember which side he played when he tore up the U20 tournament, but I'm thinking LH?

Yep you're right he was a LH right up until he played senior rugby. With Healy and McGrath at LH we converted him to TH. He was pretty exceptional at LH but that was as much because he was a freak athlete who was enormous from whenever it was I first saw him play as anything.

I think this may be an indication of him moving back there all right. Both Leinster and Ireland are struggling for a top class LH to replace Healy. Killer can do a job for a year or two for Ireland but his age profile isn't great. Milne could be good, but needs a year or two to show it for Leinster before ever being an option for Ireland. It makes a lot of sense to move Porter across in some ways.

But then he's a class TH and Ireland would need to replace him on that side too. Not sure we have any one to do that so it's hard to say really.

From a Leinster perspective the thought of a front five of Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Baird and Ryan is fairly Venjur. :pac:

Advertisement