Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Really strong side given the circumstances, and some great impact to come from the bench in Jenkins, Baird & Harry Byrne (hopefully). Good to see Vakh hasn't been totally jettisoned either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

A very nice team with the internationals "away".

We are truly spoilt, for so many games like this we have a very strong back row and half backs, and tomorrow is no different. With Baird to come off the bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Mad that Kelleher only has 38 caps. Himself and Sheehan really have exploded onto the scene. Hope Deegan can keep his good form going. I think this could be a big season for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We can’t afford to totally jettison him. Furlong and Ala’alatoa have both been on international duty. He’s now fallen behind Clarkson though and it will be interesting to see just how much time he gets tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Harry Byrne having 36 caps at his age is pretty impressive too, considering he has barely played in 18 months.

Also, I'm slightly surprised that Jamie Osborne has been selected at fullback. He was excellent there for Ireland U20's, but I thought the Leinster coaches saw him as a 13 at pro level. Im not worried about him there though. He has played at 13, 11 and now 15 this season. And he has gone well in every game. I think he has the potential to go to the very top. He's a huge talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Hopefully Harry gets a good 25 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Interesting to see Osborne at full back. He's versatile and can play anywhere. Baird coming back in is great. I'm excited to see how Ngati goes with Turner. I really like Turner and think he can be very good.

The pack has lads coming back in too. Delighted to see Kelleher. Clarkson getting a start. Here's hoping he plays well. I don't know many of the Glasgow players, since I don6know what to expect. I did think Henshaw would have played. He must still be nursing an injury.

The HB train is back! It's been an age for him. It would be great to see him get 20 minutes. The lad probably needs a few games to get into a rhythm. This block of matches could be ideal for him.

The young academy lads have done very well. Some of them are capable at the league level. Though, with the upcoming fixtures they won't play for a while. I really hope Milne gets a good outing under his belt. Coming off the bench he could add power in the loose. I would take any kind of win here.

Glasgow have 9 internationals back in their squad, but are still some of their bigger names (Zander Fagerson, Richie Gray, Matt Fagerson) and some longer term injuries (Scott Cummings, Rory Darge, Ryan Wilson, Ali Price, Sam Johnston, Huw Jones).

Team: (15-9,1-8) Josh McKay, Sebastian Cancelliere, Kyle Steyn (c), Stafford McDowell, Rufus McLean, Tom Jordan, George Horne, Oli Kebble, Fraser Brown, Murphy Walker, Sintu Manjesi, Alex Samuel, Gregor Brown, Sione Vailanu, Jack Dempsey.

Reps: Johnny Matthews, Jamie Bhatti, Simon Berghan, JP du Preez, Lewis Bean, Euan Ferrie, Jamie Dobie, Ross Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Would have liked to see Prendergast involved in this with, H.Byrne putting a few games together for Lansdowne before being parachuted back into the Leinster team.

Is Prendergast playing club rugby at the moment? If he was English or French he'd be starting week-in week-out.

He's still U20, and seems to be behind Charlie Tector in the pecking order, for Leinster and Lansdowne.

Do you mean to say he'd be starting at a Top 14 level week in week out? That's obviously easier for the French to facilitate when they've got 14 teams there. Sam Prendergast hasn't earned any starts yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think Osbourne is being considered as a potential 23 shirt for big games. As such you want to give him bits of experience in different spots for cover.

Prendergast hasnt even started at 10 in the AIL.

Physically he isnt ready for pro rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The French have an 18 game U23 season. Maybe he means he would be starting in that.

Prendergast is on the bench for Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The shiny new toy bollox on here gets really tedious at times. We have seen time and time again, that players get promoted on their ability, not their age. That if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

Prendergast has been behind Tector at under age, is behind him now at club level and provincial level going by last week. Yet somehow he should be in the senior squad ahead of a capped international and Tector. You would really despair sometimes at posts like that.

It's been a month since Leinster last played competitively. Always a bit of an ask to have the squad slip back into gear seamlessly. So with that said, I'm very glad Ryan Wilson isn't in Glasgow's squad for today's game. He's an ultra shithouse that plays with so much niggle that he can drag you down to his level.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Ngatai and Osborne playing in the same side. Both have massive kicking range and that could be used as a very effective tactical tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm looking forward to seeing McCarthy start. Delighted he got an international cap last week.

Deegans made two decent carriers in the opening minute.

That's a good try. Nice hands from Ngatai and Ross Byrne in midfield.

Thought Osborne did excellently to spin it wide 20 metres out to Kearney.

• Advertisement

McCarthy has some rough edges to his game, but he has strengths that no other Leinster lock has. He's excellent at stealing ball from the breakdown. And he has a carrying game in the tight nobody else does.

He's still so young too so he can iron out the silly penalties he tends to give away.

I think given the question it might not be given but that's a sublime offload from Ngatai.

Charlie Ngatai that's utterly incredible.

Absolutely world class offload.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Incredible bit of play from Ngatai. Looks to be settling in nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very well played so far, pleased to see how energetic and switched on we are, but Glasgow are a feckin rabble, Jesus wept.

Think Byrne might be in trouble here.

Glasgow have been their own worst enemy. They're failing to make touch from penalties and taking quick taps when they aren't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

Tbf that's excellent from Luke McGrath. Leinster have been under some pressure, conceding penalties and lucky to not be carded. But one attack in their 22 and a great offloads leads to our third try.

Advertisement