Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seeing as lancaster is going...

would i swap a Lancaster / Cullen management for a Robertson / Goodman one... ??

hell yes !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd need more that one Twitter post to get on board with a rumour like that but it's fun to speculate.

Regarding the status of the coach/ head coach/ senior coach I don't think it matters all that much to Razor. I think he knows he'd be top dog here and could go anywhere with that title even if Leo remains as Head Coach.

Let's be fair. Lancaster could have gotten any job he wanted in rugby with his credentials from Leinster. I think his reputation is well and truly rebuilt after England and probably in better standing than he was.

In terms of the attraction to the job - Leinster would have to be the top 3-4 coaching jobs outside of international rugby. We have the strongest mix of players in every age bracket and a culture of being extremely coachable and successful.

If I were Razor and had serious ambitions about coaching New Zealand, I'd want to do my due diligence and get a proper taste of the best that northern hemisphere rugby has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'd prefer Robertson stayed in NZ and became the next ABs coach but if he is going overseas I'd rather he went to a club team than a national side. And I'd prefer it was an Irish club. Except for Connact because that would be a waste of talented coach 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Cian Helay's red overturned and he is available for Racing match.

Wonder what side of the scrum does he bench for??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Panel said that it should have been a yellow card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Bizarre decision about Healy's red card. I didn't see any mitigation. It was an offensive tackle, head on head, no sudden change in direction by attacker and the defender was very upright and not bending at the hips.

Glad he's available though!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

IT reports the reasons as Healy’s tackle was passive,his feet were planted and noforward momentum. He appeared to have a high degree of control. Ulster players change of direction and dip caused him to adjust too late.

Had another look and all above is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't know, with all the issues around head injuries and the current legal proceedings. The citing committee have made a mistake. There was no harming intent by Healy but, the tackle fits the bill of a dangerous tackle. World rugby is all over the shop with the head hits.

There's always going to be collisions and injuries and there's always going to be mitigation but, how are the officials going to be correct if the initial decision is reversed? Reading the comments, it makes sense but still the collision was head on head. Is there going to be better guidelines? Each incident is different and each ref is different but, there must be a consensus on these incidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

If all tackles had to be below shoulder height it would solve the problem and be much easier to police. It’s up to world rugby to simplify the decision for both players and refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It is at shoulder height. The new variation at age grade is below armpit. Though it probably should be chest.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We play nipple height and we had two concussions last week with head on hip/knee contact. I know the mantra is 'get your position right' but at very low level there's going to be miscalculations and differences in body shapes that mean head injuries are unavoidable.

I really don't know what the best compromise is.

There will always be head injuries in contact sports. It’s about making it as safe as possible. Not safe

While I only know about the research anecdotally so wont die on this hill if presented with better findings, it would appear that you're more likely to get concussed as the tackler rather than the tacklee.

From positions as you said like getting the head on the wrong side.

Unfortunately playing contact sport is going to result in head injuries of some sort occasionally.

Sexton and Furlong not traveling. RB, HB and Tector are the three traveling OH’s. Have seen Al'alatoa and Vakh but haven’t seen Clarkson or Ed Byrne yet. Be interesting to see who the bench option for TH is. Plane delayed by two hours, will mess up the captains run.

No Sexton or Furlong which we knew TBF.

Healy in at Sub Tighthead. I forgot he was an option there. He's done well enough in the past at it.

That's still a strong team. Let's go get them

15. Hugo Keenan (45)

14. Jimmy O’Brien (59)

13. Garry Ringrose (108) CAPTAIN 

12. Charlie Ngatai (7)

11. James Lowe (66)

10. Ross Byrne (137)

9. Jamison Gibson-Park (117)

1. Andrew Porter (97)

2. Dan Sheehan (35)

3. Michael Ala’alatoa (32)

4. James Ryan (63)

5. Jason Jenkins (8)

6. Ryan Baird (43)

7. Josh van der Flier (118)

8. Caelan Doris (59)

16. Rónan Kelleher (40)

17. Ed Byrne (91)

18. Cian Healy (253)

19. Ross Molony (148)

20. Jack Conan (121)

21. Luke McGrath (182)

22. Harry Byrne (37)

23. Jamie Osborne (23)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team is out. No Sexton, Henshaw or Furlong. Will be a massive ask to get a win against Racing when we're without three world class players. But we've a seriously good pack which is probably full strength bar Tadhg. Baird has made huge strides this season and haa deservedly beaten out Ruddock and Conan to make the starting team. I think the latter is a bit lucky to keep his place as well. Deegan has made some excellent cameos off the bench in recent appearances. We'll give them a game at least.

Delighted to see Osborne get a shot in the 23 as well as Harry Byrne. Been a long time coming for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Two interesting calls in that Sheehan looks to be the man in possession of the starting hooker jersey, and Baird is now first choice 6.

Racing team is tasty. I've lost touch with Top 14 and was totally unaware Christian Wade had signed.

15. Max Spring, 14. Christian Wade, 13. Francis Saili, 12. Gael Fickou (c), 11. Juan Imhoff, 10. Finn Russell, 9. Nolann Le Garrec, 1. Eddy Ben Arous, 2. Camille Chat, 3. Cedate Gomes Sa, 4. Cameron Woki, 5. Fabien Sanconnie, 6. Wenceslas Lauret, 7. Ibrahim Diallo, 8. Maxime Baudonne.

Replacements:

16. Janick Tarrit, 17. Hassane Kolingar, 18. Trevor Nyakane, 19. Anton Bresler, 20. Boris Palu, 21. Baptiste Chouzenoux, 22. Antoine Gibert, 23. Olivier Klemenczak,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Racing have gone for a 6/2 split on the bench. Clearly looking to beat up our pack and deny us possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great team that we're putting out. I don't agree at all with the doom and gloom around Sexton and Furlong missing that we're now in serious trouble as others are making out. A tougher ask, obviously, but we've a great team and very capable players stepping into the fold. Bookies have Racing as 3 point favourites which is about right for me. Looking forward to the game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

If Leinster manage a result without Furlong, Sexton and Henshaw, it would be very impressive. Hopefully, the earlykick off time and match not being in Paris make the venue feel more neutral and Leinster can sneak a LBP in a scrappy affair.

It's not a gargantuan French pack by any means. Obviously some big beasts in the front row, but Sanconnie and Woki are like two big blindsides and both have played plenty of rugby in the back row (Sanconnie 6ft 5in, 114kg, Woki 6ft 5, 109kg) but probably undersized second rows by French standards.

Their lineout is going to be very strong, but we're the bigger side probably (especially when you include some big carrying backs like Ngatai & Lowe).

Two guys who are at best 5ft 9 in their back three as well in Wade and Spring (both of whom are obviously electric though), so we should be really looking to test these guys in the air as well.

I hope Racing have a right go at that team. Show them how far off the top table they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Tough outing without Sexton. Furlong also . Osborne on the bench! He's making strides. Big game for RB.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so healy covering tight head??

or is it more likely Porter will push across and Ed Byrne will remain as a "break glass" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I struggle to see us winning with Byrne at 10. That's a very strong Racing team and if our discipline is as poor as it has been so far this season, they'll dominate possession and we'll really struggle. Their backline posses far more x-factor than ours. We're in for a tough day in the scrum too. I'd probably take a point now if you offered it to me.

Advertisement