Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Maybe Leinster should start to think about using European games like these to give exposure to select promising guys who aren't first choice, like Harry Byrne, Cormac Foley, Jamie Osborne, Joe McCarthy (I know he's on the bench).

There's not much value in the first team putting 50-70 points on outmatched opposition. It's good to see some nice tries run in, but it doesn't really aid the team to grow.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leinster will want to make certain that they finish in 1st place in this phase , that guarantees that they stay at home for the rest of the competition.

Points Difference might actually come in to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ideally we put a record score on them for points difference, tries scored etc but they deserve to be on the wrong end of an humiliation, some of their supporters will have planned a trip to Dublin months ago and then the day before the game realise what they forked out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I saw Ross Byrne pointing last week. This pleased me greatly. I hope we see more of this at the weekend, even if perhaps the opposition likely won't be at the standard of most URC games.

A pointing 10 keeps the pigs in the pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

Byrne had a very good game against racing. He picked some lovely passes and his decisions about when to kick were good. It helps that a lot of the moves were clinically by executed by those around him but I thought he played with a lot of confidence and creativity.

• Advertisement

He's still 27, so really should only be coming into his prime now in the coming years.

The pointing though, that's the key. I want to see all the pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Anyone know what the craic is with Jenkins and Baird?

They injured? They weren't mentioned in the squad update.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I heard they eloped

• Subscribers Posts: 41,626 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jenkins has played 9 out of 10 games so far this season so it's safe to say he's been rested

With Baird I think it's simply a case of a different selection for this game. It's hard to argue Doris at 6 is a step down from Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The Pointing🙂

You know who are excellent at the pointing? The English football team. I've never see a greater collection of pointers in my life.

I find most of the pointing pointless. I look at the pointers with a great deal of suspicion.

However...i take your point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It may not be that. It may well be that they know they can make the KOs with 1 win and a couple of BPs. They may look to target the Bordeaux game in Jan. Win that and they are through. It’s a massive issue with the competition as a whole right now that teams can qualify for the KOs while also sacrificing half their pool games. It’s turned the cup into a bit of a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leo is close to finding a replacement for Lancaster according to the Indo. The article doesn't mention any names other than Scott Robertson, but that seems highly unlikely to me.

It's good to hear Cullen dismiss links to Leicester however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Again, the "link to Leicester" was Jim Hamilton thinking aloud.

Drives me bananas seeing that reproduced in a newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Jenkins has a hamstring injury. Likely to keep him out over the festive period. Baird picked up a few bumps and bruises against Racing so being rested this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Jenkins has been great for Leinster. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that we are also seeing James Ryan performing at his previous best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chief_sim

Giving away two spare tickets (1 adult, 1 child) in the North Stand for the match tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

To be fair Ryan finished last season strongly and was stratospherically good in NZ but didn't grab as many head lines compared to Beirne (which is fair - Beirne was excellent that tour)

But I think there is definitely a link between Jenkins arrival and Ryans form also.

There is very little subtlety about what Jenkins gives you and what we require from him. He's a bruiser. Tight carrying, hard tightside scrummager, destructive mauler, human forklift. We've used him to great effect in these departments.

Ryan, as athletically gifted as he is, has a ceiling in these departments. Speaking in old money, he's a better number 4 lock than a number 5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think the concussions affected Ryan. I would say that he still performed fairly well, it was rare to see him stink the joint out. He was playing really well in the 6nations a couple of years ago. Ryan is a nuts and bolts guy, he's really good.

Jenkins has the heft! Good player also. He's got to be around 280 lbs? Ireland don't make them this big.

280lbs is 127kgs for the all bar 3 countries globally who use metric....

I wouldn't have him that heavy. But definitely north of 120

Ah now, it's not like you won't see people saying he's 6'8 on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭hold my beer

If anyone wants 2 tickets in the Grandstand send me a PM. I can't make it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I'd like to see 70/80 points put on Gloucester, fk them. And repeat the dose in their ground....

Format is beyond a joke. 16 teams, 4 groups, top 5 in each (regardless of country in URC case)...+ Previous winner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leinster should be looking to come away with +45 at the very least added to their points difference total along with the 5 match points.

Planter Rugby have Leinster at +35 in their predictions , they should be able to better that.

Beating a 2nd Gloucester team should be the goal. No matter the winning margin. I expect a comfortable win!

Delighted to see Larmour back! I would rest Furlong until he is completely healed! No need to rush him back. Next up is Munster. Leinster would be picking a mix for this? Resting some key lads. I'd sit Porter, Ryan, Doris ad definitely Sheehan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wouldn't be surprised (and wouldn't blame Leinster) if there were 1 or 2 lads, lets say injured in the warm up tbh...

It was quite tongue in cheek tbf.

I'm marginally hypocritical in that I flit between imperial and metric for small measurements such as someones height.

Everything else I'd be metric though. I find it gas seeing stuff online where people are referring to 1/32nd of an inch or benching 300lbs or any of that.

Been over here for so long, I have no clue about the metric system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I doubt it will be a Montpellier style thrashing. That game was a fluke occurrence of a team not wanting to risk injury/COVID; fielding a mix of 2nd/3rd choice and academy players; and then giving in after about 20 minutes.

Gloucesters players will at least try to give a game. They'll probably be outmatched, but won't play with active disinterest like Montpellier's.

On the one hand Montpellier are a far stronger team when they're at their best, on the other... I guess motivation to rip Gloucester apart might be low?

• Advertisement

Oh there's "pointing":

And then there's POINTING:

Advertisement