Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't mind the penalties too much. McCarthy is just 21 years old and has fewer than 20 professional appearances. He'll iron out the discipline issue with more exposure to the professional game. Right now it's far better to have him play as many games as possible as the positives he brings far outweighs the negatives

Also, the nature of his position means that he'll concede penalties. Some of the best in the world like Itoje and Etzebetglh can be penalty magnets. They play on the very edge and often times fall on the referees bad side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Was it Doris that robbed the ball out of their scrum half’s hand at a ruck like the school bully taking a nerds lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Format definitely in a state of transition given the arrival of the saffer teams.

Personally would prefer a much leaner tournament with an overall higher standard of fixture.

That's two years in a row we've had games that were an embarrassment to both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,629 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sexton and jgp might start. If furlong is fit, he'll start. Jenkins as well if he's over that hamstring strain. After that, Conan, Baird, and maybe penny? Sheehan and healy to fill the front row. Lowe should still start, with larmour and Keenan in the back 3. Possibly Osbourne and ngatai in the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd like to see Milne and Clarkson involved. Nothing like learning your craft in a derby. I would think Larmour is a certain starter, possibly Joe McCarthy and Penny. Connors could also be available. No harm in Foley gaining valuable experience either.

I'd like to see v Munster

1. Byrne

2 RK

3. Clarkson

4. Joe

5. Deeny

6. Baird

7. Penny

8. Max

9. Foley

10. HB

11. Lowe

12. Ngati

13. Turner

14. Larmour

15. Osborne

16. McKee

17. Milne

18. Vakh

19. Ross

20. Connors/ Ruddock

21. Luke

22. RB

23. Russell.

The entire playing squad is undergoing a 'spirit assessment' later this week and selection is being made on the basis of that.

Of course, they'll have to put down their croissants smothered in goat cheese and salmon and begin genuflecting and prostrate themselves at the altar of Leinster liginds of the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Someone with greater knowledge than me might answer the following questions.

How do Kelleher and Sheahan compare as scrummagers?

How long would it take to reconvert Porter to the same standard of tighthead as he was previously?

To my mind part of why our scrum struggled in some the six nations last year was down to the loss of Kelleher. Sheehan is quite tall which can be a problem for scrummaging hookers and I think it took the season for him to get comfortable. It was a worthwhile investment - our scrum is a solid either way - doubt there is much between them.

Porter looks to have slimmed down but I think he'd transition back quite quickly. I'm sure he could do a job there now if called upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I know the financial argument wouldn't allow for it, as well the other leagues wanting primacy, but I wish it took place as the culmination of the club season. Straight knock out tournament based on final standings in the league.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If he didn’t shout ‘Yoink’ as he took that I’d be very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's a question that I'm sure has a fairly simple economic answer, I just don't know the exact figures. But on the face of it, it seems as though Gloucester crunched the numbers and determined that a run into the latter portion of the Heineken Cup would not have been worth sacrificing league position and competitiveness in the latter portion of the Premiership. And if that's the case, there's not a whole lot the ERC can do. The provinces, via the IRFU, get an enormous cash bonus from teams securing home QFs, through the additional 20k-30k tickets sold for each match that gets moved to the Aviva. Gloucester would, at best, sell out Kingsholm (~15k total capacity), which of course is still a healthy six-figure payday, it just may not be worth it to them if there's a greater financial risk in missing out on Premiership knockout qualification (prize money, TV money, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

They could just do away with the round of 16 and only have the top four from each pool make quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Not that I want to see another walk over, but that could well be Racing not giving a toss for teh rest of the group stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd hope so. Could also mean that they're fired up to get a result.

But considering two losses on the bounce the coaches may make a business decision and rest a lot of front liners for the game at Lansdowne Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm just calling what I see. Leinster weren't quite good enough to get over the line in either competition last season and I personally haven't seen big improvements in our game that will see us over the line this season. Yes, the win over Racing was impressive but La Rochelle and Toulouse have both had impressive wins too. Yes, I didn't predict us to beat Racing, but that win should nearly have an asterisk beside it given how utterly appalling Racing were. Look, Leinster are a good team who will probably go deep in Europe this season. But I believe this squad should be judged on trophies. I thought others believed that too but maybe I was wrong there. And if you put a gun to my head now and asked me if I see Leinster beating La Rochelle or an 'in form' Toulouse in a final, I can't see it. Or at least, I haven't seen the improvement from last season. It's just hard to constantly get excited by pool stage wins every year when they consistently fall short when it matters most.

Anyway, it's just the opinion of one eejit on the internet. It certainly shouldn't bother you to the point where you're actually talking about it at the match itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Unless Racing get 5 points against Quins at home. They will have nothing to play for coming here. Even at that, I don’t think they could realistically target a win in Dublin, maybe a LBP or a TBP. They have only managed 20 points in two games so far. So a TBP in either game doesn’t look likely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We lost the final to a last minute try. We don't need "big" improvements.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,629 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and we lost the final because we didnt go to the corner enough to seek out those maul tries....

and guess how we've been scoring a lot of tries already this season??? ...

but not flashy enough for some lads im afraid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We've addressed the areas of concern that fans and pundits raised by bringing in Jenkins, fast-tracking McCarthy and working on the scrum and lineout. Porter seems back to his best and the set-piece is motoring along well.

We were rarely completely overpowered but with a lot of Leinster's gameplay centred around dominance, parity can seem like p0wnage against physically strong teams and adapting to that circumstance is key. The Saffers in the URC will help with that. We might not win or make the final this year but it won't be a disaster if we come up short again.

I think we're going to start to see more rotation over the next few weeks as a lot of guys have racked up a lot of minutes already this season.

Garry Ringrose has played the most minutes of any Ireland regular domestically this season (across all 4 provinces) (619 mins, just ahead of Tadhg Beirne on 617), and both played virtually an entire November series for Ireland too.

Equally, guys like Dan Sheehan (503 mins), Josh van der Flier (466 mins) and Andrew Porter (410 mins) have racked up a lot of game time, with James Ryan (375 mins) and Caelan Doris (338 mins) not far behind.

Guys like Ross Molony, Jason Jenkins, Charlie Ngatai and Michael Ala'alatoa have all played big minutes, but that's precisely what they're there for.

I think we'll hopefully see Max Deegan, Scott Penny, Ryan Baird, Joe McCarthy and Cormac Foley get more mins over the next couple of games, and hopefully some more time for some of the promising academy guys too like Rob Russell and John McKee.

Probably see Sexton in one of the two games as he has played relatively low minutes. Maybe the Connacht game.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

We lost the final last year in the final play of the game in which was effectively a home match for Larochelle. We played Toulouse at home last year and won easily. Toulouse didn't look great against Munster this year either.

We are unbeaten this season. Larochelle have lost 5 league games already. Toulouse 3 and drawn 1

The final is in the Aviva so if we get there we have a big advantage. How you can't see us beating either in a home final says more about how negative you are...

I think Leinster have gone well this season. Like other squads the injuries have been significant and depth has been tested. Overall, the team have performed and the young players stepping up are up to speed. Like others. I was concerned about back 3 depth as Lowe, Keenan and then Larmour all missed significant time. The likes of Cosgrave, Russell and Turner have done well. Ben Brownlee has been capped! Tector has been capped!

Talking about Euro silverware is a little premature. Can Leinster beat LAR? or Toulouse? I think they can. Whether they will is a different story. Our depth is vital going on into the season and we do have massive games ahead but, our lead in the urc is considerable and going into the 6nations we are looking like the #1 seed. Considering the disruption of the autumn series and combined with the injuries, the results are fantastic.

Leinster are consistently a top side! Year after year they play in finals and semis. Most squads do this for a couple of seasons and then falter. Leinster do it annually. To think that silverware is the only result that matters is overstated, imo. I'd like silverware every year but, I don't think that's doable. We should all be enjoying this team. No other squad has performed with this consistency. It's a credit to the coaches and the set up. There's teams that are waving bye-bye to the champions cup and Leinster are already qualified!

Leinster are consistently a top side! Year after year they play in finals and semis. Most squads do this for a couple of seasons and then falter. Leinster do it annually. To think that silverware is the only result that matters is overstated, imo. I'd like silverware every year but, I don't think that's doable. We should all be enjoying this team. No other squad has performed with this consistency. It's a credit to the coaches and the set up. There's teams that are waving bye-bye to the champions cup and Leinster are already qualified!

Tbf, I think you've nailed it with this comment - we really should be enjoying the quality of player that's there at the moment and the ability to believe we're capable of winning every competition we compete for, or virtually every game we play.

I know the academy is stellar and the player production pipeline just seems to keep on churning, but who knows how long this spell will last? Definitely worth not taking for granting now.

Not sure it will be as much of a home final as it was in France. Yes there will be a lot more Leinster fans there. Unlike in France though. I don’t see the neutrals getting behind Leinster.

• Advertisement

Nah, I think a final in the Aviva would be 100% more of a home final for Leinster than a game in Marseille was for La Rochelle.

Advertisement