Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Don't even dream about that. 😁

We'll take Sam though as you Leinstermen say Carty needs competition 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

100% agree. Even on provincial level this is recurrent so not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I will never understand how someone can look at that 9 and 10 and think, ah no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Personally, I like seeing ex Leinster players do well. Wherever they go. I've really high hopes for Hawkshaw. He could be a very good player. Tom x's 2 have done well. They both are having decent careers.

From a Leinster viewpoint, losing Hawkshaw is not catastrophic. Brownlee is impressive. He's one for the future. Then there's Frawley! Where will he slot in. I do feel that Turner could do a decent job at 12. Turner could provide vital depth. We're also due Tommy O'Brien back fairly soon. Another lad with massive ability and potential.

Regarding Max O'Reilly, will Leinster offer him a contract? I would guess that Russell will be on a contract next year. Does O'Reilly have it? Andrew Smith is probably not going to make it. Unless the 7's program can make a good player of him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In that first one, that was the game where Connacht stormed ahead in the first half and ultimately bottled it to lose thanks to a late Porter try.

Remember one of the contributory factors? Carty's inability to find touch. Twice.

Carty is the Aldi middle-aisle version of Finn Russell. All style but absolutely headless.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I would love for Soroka to come good on his initial promise. I thought this would be his big breakthrough season off the back of some very good performances in South Africa and the closing league fixtures. But he has essentially missed this entire season through injurey.

If he doesn't come back soon I can see him being usurped by SoB 3(4?) And maybe even Culhane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Well he is named on the bench for tomorrow. Hopefully will get some decent minutes. Not like the 4 left on the sidelines down in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

• Advertisement

Soroka could put serious pressure on Baird for the 6 shirt. I can't see Soroka becoming a good lock as he's not very big.

This could be a tough one. That's a young side. Delighted with it! Lads picking up minutes in an intetpro will help their development.

Connacht have a good side coming in. I would not be surprised if we lose this one. Delighted to see Hawkshaw starting for them.

The rotation here is nice. Ross Molony gets a rest and Healy too. Well earned.

Brilliant! 1 academy player starting too. Massive opportunity.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,630 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bookies gone from -18 to -20 after the teams named, so they're expecting it to be a pretty routine win for Leinster, and I can't see it being anything else really

That's an average enough Connacht team, with leinster being much better from no's 5 - 10, prendergast being the closest to his opposite, but Baird is a better overall athlete and moment maker.

It's a fairly green side. I am not very confident. Good to have Sexton available. I suppose they just want to get some minutes for him at this stage with Gloucester away in a couple of weeks.

I'm surprised that Deegan isn't involved. I didn't think he was poor last week. Overall, he's been impressive. Jenkins must need more time?

Is this Milnes 1st start?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Very mixed side but Connacht are in poor form and haven’t named the strongest team either. Should be a BP handy enough win hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I think Jenkins could be out for a while. The fact they haven't given an update is worrying.

Think Deegan is just rotation, some amount of talent in the Backrow so I'd say it's a nightmare keeping them all happy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,630 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Some players might be "green" but still, I count 11 internationals in the starting 15 and another 3 on bench

2 X "world player of the year" as well, which I can't imagined happens very often in the same club side.

Id count this side as stronger than the one which came away from thomond with 4 points

Leinster are incredibly good at bedding in less experienced players alongside established players. Milne and Deeney make their 1st starts. It will be Russell's 13th cap and turner's 11th. Everyone else in the starting 15 can consider themselves as expected to make a European 23 squad.

This isn't a shadow side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Given the teams named, I would expect Leinster to beat the spread. Obvious question marks over Milne but I don’t expect Robertson McCoy will cause him that much difficulty. Deeny should go well alongside Ryan and apart from Prendergast our back row are miles ahead of Connacht’s. Half backs, enough said. Little bit green beyond that but Ngatai has been excellent this season. Connacht will show up I’m sure but unless there is a card or an injury crisis it’s hard to see them staying with us.

• Advertisement

I think Furlong will play next week. He is being managed quite well. Connors could be back too. We could actually be sending a good strong side over to Wales.

It's frustrating that there's not much news on Jenkins. He will be needed at the meaty part of the season so, let him recuperate.

Hope Milne plays well. With Byrne out, he will get opportunities. I reckon Deeny will be fine. He's been good everything that I've seen him. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

@[Deleted User] have you decided to give @aloooof a break and not start any build up threads this week?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sure its even more of a foregone conclusion than the Munster game was. What's the point? :D

Aloooof has his hands full with the (Healy to Embra) and the Murray box kicking stats! That's a lot for 1 moderator!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Hard to believe that it's 2023 and that 1/2 the season is in the books. Happy new year boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

Dupe

Good to see Soroka and Harry Byrne okay well from the bench. They're lads who I've been hoping can make a proper breakthrough as they've a lot of talent. Just need to stay fit.

Scott Penny came on at 12, made a 20 metres line break and offloaded to continue the attack. He's a ludicrously talented player and I've no idea how we can keep him long term without hankering for regular starts.

Charlie Ngatai is an excellent rugby player and has been a great addition to the side. Hope to Jaysus he and Sexton aren't badly injured after tonight.

Doris, Baird and Larmour were the standouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Scott Penny came on at 12

He came on at 7. JOB went to 13, Russell to 15, and Josh to the wing

• Advertisement

Advertisement