Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ala'alatoa has a big break during the six nations and can get a proper rest then. We can flog him until then.

For the last while in the league it's seems like we have rotated strictly starting the senior hookers with one starting and one outside the 23.

I think Sheehan maybe had to feature or else he would be a bit cold for Europe but I don't think he has to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I really like that backline.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,630 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It does look like we're targeting a TBP, but I'm not entirely sure why we've gone so fully loaded.

i think leinster would like to go into the last two games (lions and bulls) with the ability to rest some of the front line players... so not needing a win out there.

The last URC round is the week before the HC semi finals.

edit: round 16 where leinster host stormers will be a huge match, if we can win it and keep the table spread far enough away from stormers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Is there where we board the Harry Byrne hype train?

youre not catching me twice with that one !!!!

but harry and 10 and Ross at 12 ??? ..... now i can hang my hat on that Choo Choo !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Vast majority of minutes for Sheehan came early season. Between Ireland and Leinster, he has played about 350 minutes of rugby in the last 2.5 months. With Leinster, he's only played 211 minutes since the Australia game on November 19th.

Shouldn't have any issues at this stage.

As Paddy Patterson would say:

"Choo fcuking Choo"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's a good while ago now (March 2021), but hopefully it's better than the last time he started at 10 against Ospreys. We were winning 19-3 with 10 minutes left on the clock and ended up losing by 5 😅 H. Byrne scored two tries in fairness to him, but lost all composure in the second half and cost us the last try with an awful kick to touch. It's a game that has stuck in my head because it's so rare to see Leinster capitulate like that.

Final try is at 2m 25s in this video:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought Kelleher needed a run. He's not been at full pop since returning. I think Ospreys will make a good match of it.

Leinster with 2 academy lads in the 23! Then there's 1st year players Deeny, Osborne. Under 25's are Milne, Penny, Foley and HB. That's a good mix of experience and youth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

211 minutes is a decent amount of minutes to me, especially as he didn't exactly have his feet up during the November Internationals either. He played in all three games and played 142 minutes in that block of games too.

He's played the fifth most domestic minutes this season of any player who is a regular Irish international (behind Ringrose, Beirne, Carbery & O'Mahony), and of those, he racked up considerably more international minutes than Carbery. By my reckoning, he's played the fifth most minutes all in of all players in Irish rugby this season, so it's a heavy workload whatever way you look at it.

You can also figure there won't be a lot of rest for him for the remainder of the season for Leinster or Ireland too, heading into a RWC year.

I know he's a freak athlete, but they have to be careful they aren't flogging the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gloucester away will difficult if they select their strongest available side. They lost 16-19 to Saracens tonight, but could have won. They scrapped for everything and outmuscled their opponents on occasion.

This is on top on about the half dozen injuries they have up front. Decent side when they're trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The deal was they could all play 7 from 9 games beteen november and the start of 6 nations camp.

Sheehan was fully rested for the Glasgow and the Connacht games. And started on the bench V Gloucester and Uster.

Yeah, I get it. Obviously what they're doing is in line with the IRFU guidance, but I think if you look at it in Sheehan's case, since Ronan Kelleher got hurt in Paris in the 6N in Feb 2022, Sheehan has consistently racked up big minutes in big games for Leinster & Ireland.

He's gone from strength to strength in that time period, and is a crucial player for both sides, I'm just pointing out we're going to be leaning on him very heavily for the next 10 months plus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I agree he has racked up big minutes.. but in fairness to Leisnter in the 6 games in this window so far kelleher has started 4 and sheehan just 2 and one more tomorrow... if they continue the current routine Both will start 1 on the champions cup games. Given Cronins retirement and treacys injury profile I think Leinster have managed it as best they could. Luckily kelleher got back at the right time..

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

Yes but looking at the table if the Saints & the Tigers win their respective games in hand then Gloucester will be down to 6th on Monday which may result in them fielding another weaker side than we'd expect out against Leinster given the domestic league is their stated priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just in case you didn't know but Tracey announced his retirement a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I wonder if Brian Byrne would be available for the remainder of the season. Not sure where he is right now.

I do think McKee can get some key exposure off the bench but, I don't know if he's ready to start!

Treacy retiring is damaging. Lad was a reliable player who gave it his all.

The injuries sustained by Ed Byrne and Clarkson have opened the door for Milne and Vakh. Hopefully they meet the challenge. Going forward, Milne looks impressive with the ball. Very powerful lad. The scrum needs work.

Not available. He's at Bristol and getting decent game time for them

Oh, oh well. I think we are in a bit of a bind right now.

McKee will have to do. I hope he does well and earns a contract. Even still, we will be light for hookers. Sheehan and Kelleher will miss substantial time at the national level.

On that topic, is Lee Barron rated? I know little about him. Will we need to bring someone in? How long is Kelleher signed for?

Gus McCarthy seems to be doing well at u20's level. But, is miles away. I think that Munster are creaming themselves hoping that Kelleher joins up with them. This would be devastating for us, especially as Munster were decent at producing hookers while we struggled. There's plenty of minutes to be has at Leinster though, so Kelleher may be happy with his lot.

Barron was one of the (many) injuries in the 20s game yesterday. Don’t know how severe it is. He was going well up to that point (around 15 mins in) and had scored the first try.

Gus McCarthy looked really good for the 20s.

I’d be surprised if McKee doesn’t get a contract, he’s got a good amount of game time for an academy front rower over the past two seasons.

Ronan Kelleher to Munster seems extremely unlikely to me. Can’t see any benefit to that move for him.

Treacy retiring has a knock on effect. It puts pressure on McKee. I think McKee will do well and earn a contract but realistically, we still need more depth. There could be matches coming up where McKee and McElroy are the only options. That's not ideal.

Don't disagree with this. Watched it back today (BT do a really good recap where they essentially just cut out all the dead time between scrums/lineouts etc).

I would say the scoreline probably flattered Gloucester - Saracens were poor and disjointed, and Farrell had a horrendous day off the tee (kicked 2 from 6 I think, including two particularly poor misses from the 22). Even after 25 mins, if you'd saw the Sarries stats in terms of line breaks and metres carried, you'd think they were up by 20 points rather than being in a dogfight - they just butchered a few good chances. Maro Itoje was noticeably out of sorts after having spent a few weeks out with concussion.

That said, Gloucester look a really well coached side who have some quality players. Santiago Carreras was superb at 10 (filling in for Hastings, usually a full back), Ruan Ackermann was excellent at blindside and I thought Ollie Thorley on the wing for Gloucester was the best back on the pitch. The Gloucester scrum caused them a lot of issues too.

They would be a formidable opponent though if they go fully loaded against us, and I think they probably will given they play us before Bordeaux.

It is what it is - we've got two established Lions level test hookers, so it's only to be expected that the depth behind them will be of a lower quality. We were fortunate last season to have two guys like Tracy and Cronin, but the natural evolution of a squad means inevitably you have to rely on younger players for depth at certain times.

I think all of McKee, Barron & McElroy are talented and deserve to be backed as the depth options. Presume McElroy has travelled with the squad to Wales tonight (in case of pre-match injury) as he wasn't present yesterday for the Leinster Development side.

• Advertisement

Gloucester are a good side. Thornley is really good. I expect a tough outing next week.

If Jenkins makes it back in time, I fancy our chances. I suppose we won't see Henshaw until after the euros. Good thing that Ngati has filled in as well as he has. Fantastic signing.

Advertisement