Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Seems they took down that tweet already. Here's what they posted. Maybe its wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Deeny and Turner is very left field. Assuming J. McCarthy is unavailable, in times gone by, Ruddock would have gotten that 19 shirt rather than a 6 cap player.

Similarly, surprised turner is in there. But struggling to come up with an alternative (that isn't Lowe)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I think the answer is it depends.

If Deegan lets say is leaving leinster but he is 3rd choice back row option and he is moving to Connacht to become the 1st choice player and one of the "stars" then I would expect he would be able to command a bigger wage at Connacht than he potentially might have been offered at Leinster when he is down the ranking and behind JVDF/Conan etc

I don't know exactly how it works but thats a guess. Seems reasonable

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

probably as strong as gloucester can put out.

the probably would have preferred to have kvedlasde at 12 than atkinson.

That back row is very meaty if not the most agile. Weather forecast is for a dry game, but rain beforehand. if its an arm wrestle we might struggle a bit, but if we can move that pack around the pitch we shoudl be ok come the 80.

leinster by 12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Jaysus..... even thinner than the team they sent to the RDS 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Should Leinster refuse to play in light of Gloucester selecting the Russian Gotovtsev?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I didn't realise Kelleher was injured again. No Lowe or McCarthy either. We're not as strong as I'd like to be against Gloucester away.

Would be very happy with a squeaky no try bonus win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's a decent Gloucester team and plenty good enough to cause us problems.

It will be interesting to hear if Lowe is out injured or just rested. JOB and Larmour are both flying but Lowe brings something very different in terms of overall style of play. Huge opppotunity for Osborne.

Leinster by 6 -10 points I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It could be a bit like the time South Africa refused to play England unless they dropped James 'Darkie' Peters from their side in 1908 or whenever it was. I think it would be a strong statement that Leinster won't stand for any military aggression from countries other than NATO members.

Anyway, going forward I think Leinster should consider dropping Doris and picking Alexis Soroka instead. Doris sounds a bit like the Russian name Boris, so even though he doesn't actually have any Russian connections that I know of it would send a powerful message that Leinster Rugby Union are fully behind the Zelenskyy régime's efforts to ensure the Ukraine of the future is controlled by American corporations rather than Russian and Ukrainian oligarchs.

On the face of it it might seem unfair that Doris be ostrich-sized even though he himself is blameless. But, if it's for the greater good, making Boris/Doris the escape goat and picking Alexis Soroka with his links to Ukraine would be a commendable move in the eyes of many.

They should also alter the kit. For God's sakes, how difficult can it be to get a lot more yellow in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yeah I've just seen that thanks. I misread the team sheet and thought I saw Milne at 16.

It's still a strong Leinster side, but one I worry might be lacking that extra power up front and in the backline which Jenkins and Lowe bring.

If Milne was at 16 we'd be in even more trouble than Kelleher being absent lol.

Yeah, I think we're lacking a bit of impact from the bench too, outside of Kelleher and Conan.

Unusual to see Joe McCarthy missing from these squads despite not being on the injury report. I'm not convinced on Deeny yet at all, he seems to lack physicality to me, and definitely some of the scrummaging issues last week where scenarios where he seemed to slip his bind.

Glad to see Baird in there at 6 and Harry Byrne retained on the bench after a poor outing last week.

It's a strong Gloucester side, but I think we should be good enough but by c. 3-6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In fairness the only other option we had at 10 was Tector unless we want to risk a 6-2 split with no OH cover which I don't think could work when Nick Mc is sub 9.

But also there is no one who is unredeemable after a bad performance (especially on their first start in 7 months) so I'm glad to see Harry being given the opportunity to shake the cobwebs off and continue to rebuild some confidence and consistency.

Bookies were quite wrong last week for Ospreys but have Leinster at -15 for this. Rarely get it wrong 2 weeks in a row. I think 15 is generous but I feel there will be a 2 score buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No Lowe? Big chance for Osborne. I'm happy to see the youngsters get the run. With a handful of caps of course Deeny isn't sold.

A bit of trust shown by the coaching.

I don't know if it's trust as much as a lack of other options due to injury.

I'm presuming Deeny hasn't just been selected ahead of Joe McCarthy here, but that he (McCarthy) must be struggling for fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Probably. The experience for the young lads will be great for their development.

Yeah, and I'm generally all for blooding young guys, but not to the detriment of getting the result. Finishing top of the pool here is such a huge prize for Leinster, it should be pursued at all costs.

A little more clarity from Leinster on some of the injuries would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Discriminating against a player because of his nationality...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

I know they are different positions but I find it amazing how Brian Deeny will potentially have a Champions Cup appearance before Scott Penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I would have expected an extra backrow forward on the bench with Baird covering second row. Penny or Ruddock or Connors (if he is nearly back yet).

Yeah, but in some ways, it highlights how it's a relatively meaningless datapoint that's often thrown out there about Penny.

As noted, in the past 3 full seasons, going back to when Scott Penny was 20, JVDF hasn't missed a single European game for Leinster. Very hard to get European game time when you're directly competing with the World Player of the Year for the shirt.

Interesting to see Racing have gone full strength at home to Harlequins for this weekend, indicating they're not giving up on the competition yet.

I think Leinster will need 9 points across these two games to guarantee #1 in the pool, but 8 points (2 wins) might get it done. Exeter are also on 10 points, but they are travelling to SA to face the Bulls this weekend, where'd you hope they don't get a TBP win.

Sarries have Lyon at home, and Edinburgh away, and could pick up 10 points from that, but will be missing Owen Farrell. Sharks are at home to Bordeaux, and then away to Harlequins.

Leinster are way out in front in terms of points difference, so if someone finishes on the same mark as us then we should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Is McCarthy just not picked or last minute injury? I kind of thought he might start this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I agree it's not a useful data point in and of itself, but it probably matters to Penny. He was named to start in the Montpellier game that was called off last season if I remember correctly, unfortunate for him. The reality is he's not featuring in any of Leinster's important games — not only has he never featured in a European game, I don't think he has ever featured in a knock out game for Leinster in the league either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Penny is very unlucky that his direct competition for a European game is currently the world player of the year and in the form of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Isn’t his direct competition Connors? Or is he injured too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Connors is out of the picture at the moment so it is Penny sitting behind JVDF.

At this stage in his career how many players in the World would be expecting to start in front of JVDF for an important away game?

Advertisement