Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

It's funny, that same comparison was used on the Molecast podcast (which I'd highly recommend), and they pointed out exactly what @[Deleted User] said, and he's more on a Ringrose/Henshaw trajectory.

Keenan had a strange journey, in that while he always looked a tidy player, he never screamed future 50+ cap international until his breakthrough (at the age of around 24).

While it feels like the hype on Osborne has exploded in the past few weeks, it feels like there probably wasn't enough hype about him before then. He made his debut as a teenager, where his literal first act was to smash Johnny McNicholl back about 15 yards. He's 6ft 3 and has a frame where he'll easily pack on another 10+ kg in all likelihood without losing any pace. He's a lovely footballer, with a great passing and offloading game, really good top end pace, great footwork and has a cannon of a left boot. He's played excellently for Leinster at 11, 12, 13 and 15, and seems to raise his game and play even better at higher levels surrounded by better players, he's not a flat track bully.

The reason he's underhyped is because he went to Naas CBS and played his formative rugby with Naas RFC and the Leinster Youths. If he'd gone to Blackrock or Michaels, the hype on him would be stratospheric. I think he's the next Robbie Henshaw for Irish rugby.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

There wasn't as much hype about Osbourne because we're absolutely stacked in the position he is coming into. Why get excited about an up and coming midfielder when Henshaw / Ringrose are already two players that could easily be / have been Lions test starters.

I still think Ringrose is a bit underrated. He is playing absolutely sensational rugby at the moment but he's been terrific since he broke through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's the thing, Aki has barely played, and McCloskey has been in a struggling team. Osbourne is arguably the form 12 playing at the moment. A guy's never going to have experience until he plays, so why not back him now, when all signs point to him being a fixture in the near future?

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to rolling with him, but we've really good options there. Agree with others than Aki has come in cold before and produced performances, and while Ulster have been poor of late, I don't think McCloskey has.

I think at present I'd give the start to McCloskey, but will update that after this weekend's games. Big test for Osborne against Fickou today.

Unless Aki is genuinely unfit and not hitting his markers I am operating under the presumption that he's match ready but whatever is going on between he and Friend is what's keeping him off the pitch.

The lad is a trench player. He will get right into it when the physical stakes are extreme and he's been there and done that at every level. Osbourne isn't tempered in that way yet. I'm not implying he wouldn't deliver, I think he will and with plenty of additional upside - but the opening fixture of the six nations away from home (a must win game) is not the place to confirm that in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yeah, Keenan was a very nice surprise 😮. I thought he'd be a wing and a back up at that. But his rise has been fantastic to watch. He's so smooth and confident. He is vital for us and is probably in the top 3 full backs in the world.

Osborne is similar in some regards. Smooth and gets on with it. Can fill in anywhere. He should be capped soon. He could possibly be Henshaws future replacement. He can certainly fill in and he can take over Ngati's role, when Ngati leaves.

Hype is one thing. I suppose at underage rugby, some lads are putting their head up. Some make it, some peak. Osborne didn't have much hype and look at him now. Leinster have done well with him, he's a complete player.

As for Aki, I have no idea what's the deal. It's likely he strolls back into the national side. I think that McCloskey should get the nod, if Aki is acting the mickey and being a spoiled brat at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

One thing I hadn't appreciated about the squad selection is the relative lack of strength with our replacement props. Milne and Healy at TH aren't who I'd want coming on if the game is in the balance.

Hopefully things go to plan and we're well ahead by the time they come on.

There was talk about this game being a sell out, but that's not true in the slightest.

The entire upper stand near where the commentators sit is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Dan Leavy is such a low energy pundit. Tough to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's a pen all day long.

• Advertisement

How is that nit a yellow for Racing?Deliberate knock on that stopped a promising attack.

Leinster showing a lot of ambition in their attacking play. We've seen direct carries, pullback passes to players cutting back on a severe angle and kick passing to the wing.

But they've also been pretty sloppy and blown two trys.

Ringrose = Rolls Royce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Going to be called back for forward both pass to ringrose and from ringrose looked dubious but delighted to be wrong

That's much better. Excellent from Osborne and Ringrose.

Osborne in particular was pivotal in that try. He has lovely timing with his passes, holding on to the last possible second and drawing in the defender before releasing.

Dire from Ross Byrne

Byrne threw Larmour under the bus there.

Leinster should be miles ahead, but inaccuracies are killing them. Racing haven't been good but are still in this game.

Would love to see a side by side of larmour and the racing incident earlier.

Shocking kick though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's about as braindead a passage of play as I've seen from Leinster in a long time. Byrne and Larmour should know better too

• Advertisement

Carley with some bizarre decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Leinster doing everything possible to make a game of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Joey checking his phone is turned on

This is dire stuff.

Racing have been awful but are back in this game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Racing have really come to play. Not sure Leinster were really prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Maul defence now a serious worry going forward.

The two deliberate knock ons with different outcomes

That scrum call was odd too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

McCarthy is going to have a few bitter pills to swallow come the video review session.

He has a bit of learning to do at this level yet.

Advertisement