Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I can't weigh in too much on MacDonald although the Blues have been a much more formidable side in recent years having been the whipping boys of NZ rugby for quite some time.

But Leinster must be the most attractive head coaching job in world rugby for prospective coaches.

We have a solid pathway which breeds extremely talented young players to mould and develop.

We are financially secure

We have a senior panel chock full of world class players with an excellent age profile

We play in a league that features some of the biggest disparity in rugby styles and philosophies.

It doesn't rain sometimes.

We're one of if not the most successful club team globally. Any coach with genuine top level international ambitions would be silly not to use the experience here as a yard stick for bigger things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leon MacDonald would be a tremendous appointment, but would he agree to essentially being second in command ala Lancaster? Not sure on that tbh.

That's a **** one for Joe and makes Jenkins return to fitness even more vital (if that were even possible)

2 months puts him out of action for the rest of the regular URC. He'd have been a good shout to go down to South Africa and develop as a leader with the squad we are likely to take.

He will miss the Ulster round of 16 too.

Given we're guaranteed play offs in the URC I hope to see him back for that.

Assuming we conquer Ulster to the Quarters that will still likely be a week too soon.

The semis are pencilled in for the end of April. Should we manage to get there we might see him back.

Disappointing. Here is hoping that Ryan gets through the 6N unscathed too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think officially Henshaw is already back with Leinster. Though he was photographed in camp with Ireland last week. Not sure if JGP and Furlong were rehabbing with Ireland or Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What about Pivac? Or even Townsend? There are options.

I'd love to see Sexton included in the coaching team.

• Advertisement

I think it depends. I really doubt these guys are overly fixated on the specifics of their title, and more on what the actual role will entail. Presumably MacDonald would want something akin to what Lancaster had - a meaningful say in selection and hands on coaching with the players.

If the money is right, then it should be still enticing. Lancaster certainly hasn't suffered from receiving a lack of credit for his role in Leinster's last 7 years or so despite his Senior Coach title.

No, he's named in the 27 man squad Ireland have retained for the open training session on Thursday and the mini-camp (as is JGP & Furlong), so I'm guessing he isn't going to get a run out for Leinster this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DelMcG

Townsend has already been sounded out by France as their new attacks coach, as Laurent Labit is off to Stade Francais after the World Cup.

Pivac struck gold with Scarlets in the season they won the league but they absolutely didn't replicate that form the next season so I think he's a bit of a one-season wonder. His Wales career would bear that out: their successful Six Nations campaign was very much built on opposition red cards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Goodman wants the senior coach role. He may get it (he may not) but even if he does get it a new defence coach will be needed.

Lancaster had two roles (defence coach and senior coach)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Saw some talk of Leon McDonald on Reddit, I can't speak to any of this myself as I haven't paid huge attention to SH rugby below international level over the past few years, but he seems very highly regarded in NZ, and if Scott Robertson got the top job a lot of people seem to think McDonald would join him. Scotland have also approached him for after the RWC. He has by all accounts done an excellent job with Tasman and the Blues. By all appearances he'd be a great appointment but it doesn't look likely to me given how in-demand he is.

Picture three. Good to see Tommy O'Brien at least being involved at training, even though he's still listed as "no updates" on today's injury report.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Talk of McDonald coming in as SCO head coach after RWC & Townsend going to France as attack coach.

Head coach at Scotland v attack coach at Leinster ; easy call.

You're dead right.

Sorry, Scotland, better luck next time... 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

MacDonald would be top of my wish list for the coaching options but I would imagine it's unlikely. With Scotland already in contact according to NZ media, he has options and I'd imagine there's certainly a pathway being developed for him in NZ rugby also. When you're given the NZ XV, you're on the radar. I've also seen it mentioned and if/when Robertson is named as new NZ coach, MacDonald is on his shortlist to be his assistant.

If MacDonald doesn't get the gig, I'd want Jared Payne. The drop off in Ulster has been stark since his departure. With Clermont already having appointed a new head coach for next season, I'd imagine he's more than likely available. His knowledge of the Irish system and proven ability to work with young players, is a big plus.

After that, I'd imagine something more left field would be in the offing with a coach coming from the likes of NPC or even Noel McNamara making a return following his SA stint.

I don't think Pivac will be in the conversation although stranger things have happened. Irish rugby doesn't tend to hire guys whose best work is behind them. Pivac is 60 now and I'm not sure he'd have the appetite for the task at hand. As a test head coach, you also have a guy there who would be eager to implement his own systems. His Scarlets team was based on incredibly loose, skillful play. Leinster might be skilled but they play a very structured game.

If MacDonald doesn't get the gig, I'd want Jared Payne. The drop off in Ulster has been stark since his departure. With Clermont already having appointed a new head coach for next season, I'd imagine he's more than likely available. His knowledge of the Irish system and proven ability to work with young players, is a big plus.

Also it would annoy @awec

Some more non news about the RDS redevelopment

Can't see this happening in the next 2-4 years sadly. We really need a better stadium.

Hospitality and bar facilities in the Anglesea, semi permanent coverings on the North and South that can be taken down for 2 weeks of the year.

Job done.

If Goodman moves up to Stu's job, who comes in? Would Richie Murphy be an option.

At present the set up is

Cullen Head Coach

Lancaster Senior Coach and defence coach

McBryde Forwards coach and scrum coach

Goodman Attack coach

With the following in secondary roles

Emmet Farrell kicking

Sean O'Brien contact skills

If Goodman is promoted he will presumably be Senior coach and attack coach meaning that we would be looking for a coach with experience as a defence coach. Murphy has never been a defence coach. Not saying he couldn't do it but it wouldn't be a likely appointment imo.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A possible promotion for O'Brien to defence coach and then look for a a new contact skills coach?

That's the path that Leamy took.

• Advertisement

I suggested that before.

That said I've come around on the idea that it is a good to get an outside figure coming in to join the srt up in one of the big roles to refresh ideas.

Dave Rennie got the heave ho from Oz.... Would he be willing to come to Leinster?

Good article in the42 about the coaching set up and there's the reference of the future minus Stu and Sexton. Expanding on that, there's also the impending retirement of Healy. That's a big part of the culture leaving.

Personally, I don't see Leinster being as good as they have been. Players like Sexton and Healy don't fall off trees. After Johhny retires, his impact for Leinster will be a massive loss.

Sexton doesn't play for Leinster that much anymore really. He will be missed in the sharp end of the season though for sure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think the impact of his loss will be felt more on the training paddock and around the squad in general than for the 7 or 8 games he plays.

It's a huge amount of Rugby IQ and team culture knowledge being lost.

Fair. But he has realistically gone on a lot longer than anyone could have reasonably hoped.

Its an interesting hypothetical case study as to what would have happened in the MOC era had Sexton been available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We were massively in transition through the MOC years. I’m sure Sexton would have improved things but we were weaker in a lot of positions than we had been before or any time since. Having said that, it’s been referenced there were serious cultural issues. Sexton definitely would have influenced that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,635 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seeing as he had one season as a head coach after he left leinster, i don't think his career would have taken a different path really.

he co-coached the reds to a 2nd last place in super rugby in 2016, and missing out on a top 4 finish with Leicester in 2018 was enough to see him get the boot one game into the next season

Hes essentially retired since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It wasn't just Sexton that MOC missed out on. Nacewa also retired when Joe left, BOD and Cullen followed a year later, and SOB missed most of the MOC era through injury IIRC. At the same time, the academy wasn't churning out many top prospects.

He was absolutely the weakest coach we've had since before Cheika but he got dealt a very poor hand. Things could have been different.

• Advertisement

Worth remembering that we lost in extra time in the semi final away to eventual winners Toulon in 2015. The kind of margins that its not hard to see Sexton overcoming...

I agree he's been our weakest coach since before Cheika but its an interesting discussion as to how much of the last 14 years has been based on Sexton. We lost in the semis in 2010 also when he was out in a game I'm convinced we win with him there.

Had we won, or even got to the final in 2015 I'm not so sure MOC would have seen the door. Though obviously its for the best that he did.

Advertisement