Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Harsh yellow, always found this ref fussy with Leinster. Still not happy with him for not taking action when Baird got taken out in the air against the Sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pleased with the way this unfamiliar selection settled into the game.

Embra decided they wanted to play a fast and open game and our lads said fine so and cut them up for it.

I so admire Scott Penny for sticking with Leinster and holding on for his chances, but by God, he could be making 800k a year in France and be a Top14 superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

For a player getting very little opportunities, Dave Kearney was really excellent tonight. Not just his try, he was great through out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

800k a year for Scott Penny? 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Very impressive by Leinster. This is why Milne and Penny etc are getting called into Ireland camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

To be fair he is always excellent. Great nose for the try line.

Has been very unlucky with injuries last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Pleasantly surprised by how much Liam Turner has improved. He runs excellent lines, is strong in contact and seems to have a good passing range.

Not shown in this gif is Turner receiving Kearney's offload after he put him in space. Made it a metre to the line before being stopped.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Turner is brilliant. Power, pace and ferocious in the hard carrying! Frawley played well, imo and his leg held up nicely. Thought the subs were off the pace. The team became disjointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To anyone who watches Super Rugby;

Where would tonight's Leinster team finish in that competition? I.e., the Ruddock-as-captain, mostly-second-or-third-string, mid-Internationals, team.

There was a time where they'd go away and get results in the URC. Then they started getting TBPs. Now I'm surprised if they don't get near the half tonne....

Luke was great! Motm, imo. The young lads were mixed. The replacement front row struggled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The defense was a bit weak, that being where I'd see them typically having an advantage over a lot of SR teams.

All teams struggle when they make mass substitutions. They had settled down and got on top until Penny got injured. Nick McCarthy went well when he came on, so did Tector. You can’t really expect Cohesion when you make 5 substitutions in a couple of minutes though.

Front row did struggle at scrums alright but we also subbed Jenkins. Which I’m sure had an impact as we were only just holding our own with him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Plaese help us.

CC semi-final or not, defend you unbeaten season, take revenge, please, please send a good team for Bulls on the last game of the season.

Connacht have a much harder path to Europe than any others (facing Irish provinces more, hindered by stupid sub-pools rule). So Leinster or Munster, on IRFU begging, have to give us a winning gift in South Africa this W-E

Given Connacht’s performance last night. We could send all the internationals down there and hockey the Bulls. For all the difference it will make.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,635 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Beat Edinburgh, Ulster and Glasgow and you won't need help

We should not, too weak away from home, we should take 10 points home though.

That's when we need you. Don't mess up a unbeaten reccord to put aside 20 players out for a semi-final you'll win anyway...

Send at least a team like yesterday + J.O'Brien and Osborne, with Ed Byrne and Ngatai back too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Leinster beat the Stormers in three weeks time they're sending the kids to South Africa.

Really good win over in Edinburgh - they had a good side out with some quality players and we were comfortably the better team who seemed to score at will.

Getting some great game time into a lot of younger guys like Michael Milne, John McKee, Harry Byrne and Liam Turner.

Dave Kearney had an outstanding game yesterday. Involved in pretty much everything good we did, I thought he might have shaded MotM though it could have gone to plenty. Larmour has been really good since coming back. It’s possible he looks like he’s gotten even a little quicker, and he’s definitely a bit more physical and looking to get more involved.

Jamie Osborne excellent again - especially in first half. Plays with a lot of youthful exuberance and not afraid to try things which is brilliant to see.

I thought Luke had a great game and moved the ball at a pace Edinburgh couldn’t live with.

Harry Byrne has had a really solid run of games and while he’s still making the odd mistake, he’s taking command of games and steering us around the field like an experienced international.

Milne was really busy and he’s so physical and explosive. His best game in Leinster colours yesterday.

Finally - Penny was excellent. Not so much even for the tries where he showed good pace to finish both, but he was so busy around the field. Latched onto carriers countless times to help guys win collisions, cleaned rucks aggressively all day, had some massive tackles and generally outplayed the vastly experienced Lion Hamish Watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Even losing to the Stormers would probably not be enough for us to send a strong team. If we got a losing bonus point and they did not get a try bonus point, we would only need 1 point in SA to keep top spot. I’d imagine we would take the chance with an inexperienced squad in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just watched the game this morning. Brilliant game, Edinburgh looking much more like the force they should be for long periods of the game.

I don't understand the ruling on the Rector non-try. How is it a knock-on if the ball doesn't go forward and hit the ground or another player?

Also, who looked at Lee Barron and thought 'this guy should play hooker'?

As I said we ask at least for a team like yesterday + players (smtimes back from injury) needing gametime :

Milne, McKee, Ab, Deeney, Jenkins, Penny, Deegan, Connors, L.McGr, H.Byrne, Ngatai, Osborne, J.O'Brien, Larmour, Frawley

Very reasonable, you can rest 20 of your other players for Europe with this team

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

I’m guessing they thought it went forwards out of his hands and the Edinburgh player slapping it back constituted it hitting an opposition player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That Leinster team would beat the Aussie SR teams. And the Highlanders, sorry @sydthebeat 😆

let me just check...

That Leinster team can beat the aussie SR teams.

Brumbies just beat the Blues this morning.

Therefore Leinster seconds are better than the Blues 😉🤣🤣

but kidding aside, yeah highlanders are crap this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Bugger. Well I guess I don't need to watch the Blues game now.

Agreed re: Barron. He's light, slender and tall. Someone give him a pot of stew! He's only an academy 2nd year, mind. I expect he'll feature in South Africa. Plenty of time for him and the experience he's getting will benifit him.

Clarkson has not improved his scrum. To me, it's a disappointment. He appears to be the weak link in the scrum. He will get more minutes in South Africa.

While Connors is a fantastic tackler it's fair to say that Penny is a great tackler too. Great technique. I've noticed his ability in the last 2 games.

HB played very well. Lots to be happy about. This run of matches will give him a boost. He's looking like his form is improving.

Tector is a unit. Different kind of 10. Very, very good physical player. He's quick and powerful. He could be a gem.

The referee was quick with his whistle. I thought he was harsh on us and missed a couple of high tackles on our lads. There was one where our lad was practically in a head lock. No penalty!

Milne was very good. Deegan too. Turner is a find. Great pace and acceleration. Finds holes and tough to bring down.

The best thing for me was how we responded after falling behind. Deegan strolling over the try line like he was out for an afternoon stroll. Great try.

I was worried about this fixture and the lads came through. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Larmour had some serious acceleration, really hope he gets another shot for the national team.

• Advertisement

Advertisement