Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Ugh Jesus, more JVG juvenoia talk.

As I said previously, the way the CJ thing happened I wouldn't be very surprised if Furlong was going abroad. I'd be stunned, but not surprised, if that makes sense. Even if you look at the Zebo thing, it pretty much materialised out of thin air and was confirmed within a couple hours, despite it looking like he was Not Not bound on all accounts.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, but ye should definitely keep your mind open to the possibility of it occurring. It may just well be IRFU slow timing too - but there's a chance.

As for Frawley, he'd almost definitely ursurp Scannell as back up 12 and take the shirt once DDA left - if he was staying at centre. Personally though, if we wanted to invest in a second playmaker style 12, I'd rather we persisted with Crowley or Flannery. Hopefully Goggin gets an injury free run too.

Incorrect. I can guarantee you Scannell would be kept first choice centre. Scannel is unusually loved in Munster in a disproportionate way. No way would a Leinster young gun usurp and home bred Munster man.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

What a legend, don't think any other player would get away with a training setup like his..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AlnDhx7P8&ab_channel=LeinsterRugbyTV

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Incorrect. I can guarantee you Scannell would be kept first choice centre. Scannel is unusually loved in Munster in a disproportionate way. No way would a Leinster young gun usurp and home bred Munster man.

Scannell isn't even currently first choice center; DDA and Farrell are the first choice pairing.

aloooof wrote: »
    Scannell isn't even currently first choice center; DDA and Farrell are the first choice pairing.

Yes I understand he’s not first choice. You’re picking apart my grammar trying to create things I didn’t mean. You know very well I knew Scannel wasn’t the holder of the jersey currently. Stop with the petty nit picking please and focus on my argument and the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Ugh Jesus, more JVG juvenoia talk.

As I said previously, the way the CJ thing happened I wouldn't be very surprised if Furlong was going abroad. I'd be stunned, but not surprised, if that makes sense. Even if you look at the Zebo thing, it pretty much materialised out of thin air and was confirmed within a couple hours, despite it looking like he was Not Not bound on all accounts.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, but ye should definitely keep your mind open to the possibility of it occurring. It may just well be IRFU slow timing too - but there's a chance.

As for Frawley, he'd almost definitely ursurp Scannell as back up 12 and take the shirt once DDA left - if he was staying at centre. Personally though, if we wanted to invest in a second playmaker style 12, I'd rather we persisted with Crowley or Flannery. Hopefully Goggin gets an injury free run too.

There’s also a possibility of Frawley moving down under as he is Australian qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sebdavis wrote: »
    Do Munster not have a young lad, who played 10 and now I think plays 15?
    Sounds similar to Frawley and if looking at options would they not promote him into the first team and centre?

"Here lads, I don't know his name and I think he plays 15, but play him."

Yes I understand he’s not first choice. You’re picking apart my grammar trying to create things I didn’t mean. You know very well I knew Scannel wasn’t the holder of the jersey currently. Stop with the petty nit picking please and focus on my argument and the gist of it.

Well, your argument is speculation. And we've seen examples of "a Leinster young gun usurping a home bred Munster man" in the past so I don't know why you're so adamant this would be so different.

Personally, I also think Frawley would be picked ahead of Scannell, but similar to theVersatile, I'd rather we went with giving Crowley or Flannery a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

"Here lads, I don't know his name and I think he plays 15, but play him."

Another excellent post which added to the conversation. Thank you.

Well it's been explained over and over to you what is going on at Munster. Ignore as you wish.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,658 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LEINSTER thread....

Or there will be huge accusations of LOFM, MILF, PPOLF or whatever stupid acronyms are popular on reddit.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Excellent response and bang on what I would have expected

Love the air of superiority in these posts

sydthebeat wrote: »
    LEINSTER thread....

Or there will be huge accusations of LOFM, MILF, PPOLF or whatever stupid acronyms are popular on reddit.....

Leinster thread.

Any word on Max Deegan? His is an interesting case. He'll turn 25 in October and is coming off a long term injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster thread.

Any word on Max Deegan? His is an interesting case. He'll turn 25 in October and is coming off a long term injury.

If you fancy watching, there's a nice interview with him and the OLSC here from last week.

https://youtu.be/EayO7dYhVOE

From the sounds of it, he's not going anywhere anyway.

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    There’s also a possibility of Frawley moving down under as he is Australian qualified.

Interesting I didn’t know that. But I would guess that not coming through the underage system there seriously undermines your chances of the Wallaby jersey. Again just assuming people’s homeland bias but perhaps it’s a road he might take if the right offer presented itself. He certainly has a options if pushed down that road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Leinster thread.

I would say Leinster are very eager to retain considering Doris’ concussion issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would say Leinster are very eager to retain considering Doris’ concussion issues.

That and he’s an excellent player who is an international. I think Deegan is suffering slightly from the out of sight problem. It’s been that long now that people are forgetting how good he actually is.
    The reality is for all the riches in the backrow it’s also an area where there seems to be constant long term injuries and for every player you get back it’s not unreasonable to think another will get injured. It’s particularly attritional at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hahashake

If Furlong was to go abroad, where would be the most likely candidate? Presumably a wealthy Top14 club like Toulon?

salmocab wrote: »
    That and he’s an excellent player who is an international. I think Deegan is suffering slightly from the out of sight problem. It’s been that long now that people are forgetting how good he actually is.
    The reality is for all the riches in the backrow it’s also an area where there seems to be constant long term injuries and for every player you get back it’s not unreasonable to think another will get injured. It’s particularly attritional at the moment.

I remember reading an article before about a study on injuries, and the conclusion was that you could expect to have something like 25% of your squad injured at any one time. I’d guess the back row is the most attritional position, so would expect that number to be even higher. Can see why Leinster would want to retain him.

hahashake wrote: »
    If Furlong was to go abroad, where would be the most likely candidate? Presumably a wealthy Top14 club like Toulon?

I would expect so, the French love a scrum and a tighthead. A world class one like Furlong would be great for marketing. He would be close to name a price territory. Especially with the reduction of non JIFF players in France he would be one to invest as a global superstar

Love the air of superiority in these posts

100% the exact opposite
    I am what you would call the "nouveau riche" of rugby supporters and I don't claim to be an expert at all.
    It seems I rattled a few of the regulars because I discussed a topic which was all over the rugby podcasts. Also made the mistake of having a positive comments towards a Leinster player on the Leinster thread. Shame on me . I was just saying thank you to the posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Was just looking at the T14 table and one thing that really stuck out was that La Rochelle have conceded the fewest points so far by an absolute mile. Like they've conceded 100 fewer points than Toulouse who are on first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

West and TKB both went off inured this evening with shoulder and neck injuries respectively.

West wouldn't be as much of a loss as Plisson is potentially as good if not better but TKB would be a huge loss if his knock impacts his availability or performance.

La Rochelle played 17 of last week's 23 tonight which was surprising. That comes with a risk and they'll be sweating now. I think Doumayrou went off hurt late on too as Vito had to come back on for him.

Just watched the La Rochelle v. Lyon game. La Rochelle won at home 38-18 although the scoreline flatters them it wasn’t as comprehensive a victory as it looks on paper. Only 4 tries for La Rochelle by Lleyds, West, Gourdon and Doumayrou. Dulin had an average game and Botia was rested.

Also read an article on ROGs thoughts on facing Leinster:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/football/ronan-ogara-details-reaction-to-drawing-leinster-in-the-champions-cup/ar-BB1fKnlF

“The Cork man famously bagged a late try as Munster painted Lansdowne Road red in 2006 ahead of their maiden Heineken Cup triumph against Biarritz.

‘The first thought was hopefully you were first or third out of the drum, that’s what you’re looking for,’ O’Gara told Off The Ball when speaking about his mental approach to the draw.”

He’s not giving anything away but I fancy he likes and relishes the big day out for him and his club. Honestly he has a lot to gain and not much to lose being underdog European wise.

I think he is a formidable coach who can and possibly will unseat this young Leinster team. I think he’s coming in as under dog and if he makes the approach not about him and his credentials in Ireland he has a chance. He is massive underdog but I think he might lift them a level for this big one.

We are down players in key positions also. Didn’t matter for Exeter but I think percentage rugby by Leinster won’t win this. Part of me would love ROG to beat Leinster- the favourite tag doesn’t sit well with me. Some people use it as a burden to die or live up to- I prefer the creativity tag sitting on us - that we will use our back line and create plays. That may be in the past but with Stu we can rediscover it. I hate the tag of massive overdogs.

Everyone is talking about ROG but Jono Gibbs will have a huge say in regards to the next fixture as well. The man knows Leinster and Leo very very well and yet he is completely overlooked.

Also Clermont fans seem to think Gibbs will be heading their direction next season so this could be his sign off for La Rochelle. Will be interesting to see how it comes together. Plenty of time for Leinster to review La Rochelle as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,693 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great to see Henshaw return from injury and have such a great season, where do you think he is better as a 12 or 13 , when Ringrose is back he will play as a 12 , but he is also superb as a 13 when he plays ther for Irelnad.

thebaz wrote: »
    Great to see Henshaw return from injury and have such a great season, where do you think he is better as a 12 or 13 , when Ringrose is back he will play as a 12 , but he is also superb as a 13 when he plays ther for Irelnad.

All of Henshaws best form has been at 12 over the years. Yes he can switch to 13 but I think the best combination for Leinster is Henshaw at 12 and Ringrose at 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Just watched the La Rochelle v. Lyon game. La Rochelle won at home 38-18 although the scoreline flatters them it wasn’t as comprehensive a victory as it looks on paper. Only 4 tries for La Rochelle by Lleyds, West, Gourdon and Doumayrou. Dulin had an average game and Botia was rested.

Also read an article on ROGs thoughts on facing Leinster:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/football/ronan-ogara-details-reaction-to-drawing-leinster-in-the-champions-cup/ar-BB1fKnlF

“The Cork man famously bagged a late try as Munster painted Lansdowne Road red in 2006 ahead of their maiden Heineken Cup triumph against Biarritz.

‘The first thought was hopefully you were first or third out of the drum, that’s what you’re looking for,’ O’Gara told Off The Ball when speaking about his mental approach to the draw.”

He’s not giving anything away but I fancy he likes and relishes the big day out for him and his club. Honestly he has a lot to gain and not much to lose being underdog European wise.

I think he is a formidable coach who can and possibly will unseat this young Leinster team. I think he’s coming in as under dog and if he makes the approach not about him and his credentials in Ireland he has a chance. He is massive underdog but I think he might lift them a level for this big one.

We are down players in key positions also. Didn’t matter for Exeter but I think percentage rugby by Leinster won’t win this. Part of me would love ROG to beat Leinster- the favourite tag doesn’t sit well with me. Some people use it as a burden to die or live up to- I prefer the creativity tag sitting on us - that we will use our back line and create plays. That may be in the past but with Stu we can rediscover it. I hate the tag of massive overdogs.

full match
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl2QDQ6VA6E

Final score laRochelle 38 Lyon 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster play Munster this Saturday. I can't remember a derby that's had as little a sense of anticipation as this one.

The rivalry has turned into a one sided domination in recent years, the game is in a tournament nobody cares about and Leinster will be using it as a training run for a much bigger game that's happening the following week.

I'm hopeful that Ryan.and Ringrose will take some part this weekend. If they get through that game ok Welly be much better off for La Rochelle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I care about the Rainbow Cup. Fingers crossed it becomes permanent and Leinster get the proper competition we need.

Advertisement