Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Any links for the senior cup final?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gonzaga beating Blackrock 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Zags win!!!! Delighted for them. Surprised that they did the business.

Sexton may not be ready for Ulster in two weeks. Took a nasty injury.

The Indo has also reported that Jamie Osborne was spotted in a leg brace. Keenan will also be following the HIA protocols. Really hope that Ringrose is back in the saddle for the QF. We're racking up a pretty big injury list amongst the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement

The 6nations has been tough on Leinster. A lot of injuries to be concerned about. But, it's to be expected. I wouldn't think Turner will let us down. Brilliant player.

Furlong needs minutes. He looked poor today. I'd play him v the Stormers.

Sextons press conference after the match is very worrying in terms of Leinster. He seems very concerned about the injury. We could lose him for a lot of the run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

No one involved yesterday should be near the 23 for Friday. Furlong whilst inaccurate with ball in the hand yesterday has put in 2 big shifts in 6 days for a guy who hasn’t played any rugby in the 100 days previously.

Why would you want to risk him against the Stormers? That’s another 6 day turn around after the emotional high of winning the GS? Not to mention less than optimal recovery after probably having a few well earned beers last night 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Re Sexton, I think you are going to see a very carefully managed total minutes played program here over the coming weeks/months. There's also a significant succession planning exercise to manage too for Leinster. You would expect that everything for Jonathon Sexton now is about getting to France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He did not look good coming off. That hit by Curry looks awful. Could easily see ligament damage from it. I was surprised he stayed on afterwards tbh.

I hope Keenan is good to go v Ulster. It's a bit of a worry now. Sexton looked uncomfortable and may not be available and Ringrose should be rested after his concussion, my opinion. At least JGP and Henshaw came through with no worries. It's a concern to provide so many to the Ireland squad and then hope there's no injuries, on top of having to reintroduce them back in at Leinster. Serious disruption.

I would still get Furlong and Henshaw involved next week, if only on the bench. I think that we could have a strong side for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

With due respect to Ulster, I think Leinster would be comfortable taking on Ulster with Ross Byrne at fly half and Jimmy O'Brien at full back.

It's true that those lads can do the job. My point is It's tough to reinstall the Irish lads into the squad and have it go smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Hearing that Tommy O'Brien is very close to a return

Any updates on Osbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I know Leinster have been pretty keen on Baird as a 6 and tbf he's had some fantastic showings this season there.

But it was great to see over the last 2 games just how much his second row play has come on. His tight carrying was good, his lineouts were imperious and his ruck work was outstanding. I think working closely with POC for the last few months will have helped him significantly.

One thing that is maddening about him is he is good for at least one basic, high profile knock on a game. At this point I've come to accept it, with some players you need to take the weaknesses with the strengths. He offers something very few do with his pace and agility for such a big man.

The form that he's in at present does give us good options now to get him on the pitch along with Conan, Doris and VDF in the back row. I know neither Doris nor Conan are much of a 6 but they're both giving such positive impact in their play recently I think you just need to find a way to make it work

Jenkins and Ryan will be the starting second row for any big games I’d imagine. The difference in our pack when Jenkins starts is considerable. As good as Baird was in the last two weeks. I can’t see him starting ahead of a fit Jenkins.

I would think Baird will bench as a back row. Tough to start over Jenkins and Molony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Think it will be critical to have Sexton back for the CC semi-final, if we get there, and especially if it's Toulouse coming to town. That's a 6-week recovery from the England game so hopefully enough.

I'd love to hear some sort of an update on Ngatai, he'd be a great player to have back if Ringrose is out for a while.

• Advertisement

TOB and Ed Byrne are fit and available for selection. Ringrose and Keenan are following the HIA protocols. Osborne suffered a knee ligament injury and will be out for a number of weeks. Still no new updates on Ngatai.

The Stormers have all their Springboks back for the match this weekend. Going for stronger than I thought they would.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/nel-less-stormers-eager-leinster-challenge/

Yikes! If they send up the heavy crew, we may be in trouble. I wonder if Furlong will at least bench? He looked way off the pace on the weekend. I guess Ed Byrne will play a role.

We could be without Osborne, Kelleher and Sexton for the remainder. Joe McCarthy probably is out also. Sexton has a groin injury which are very niggly. Kelleher has no luck. He's had his share of injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Frustrating that Ngatai is still injured these are the type of games we need him in.

At least Frawley is back. Himself and Henshaw got back just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Glad Frawley got through his game at full back and had a few more weeks to continue to work on conditioning. Hopefully he can have a clear run without injury. Leinster needs him but his career needs a clear run to show how good he is and how reliable he can be.

Think it'll be Frawley Henshaw, or Henshaw Turner?

Didn't realize it's a Friday evening match. That puts the International lads on the back burner. They've probably been on the gargle since Saturday.

I can see Turner getting the nod alongside Frawley. The boys are probably still nursing the shakes and shitz!

• Advertisement

I'd be extremely surprised if any of our starting internationals returned.

I think it'll look something like:

15-9, 1-8: Cosgrave, Larmour, Turner, Frawley, Kearney, Harry Byrne, McGrath, Milne, McKee, Ala'alatoa, Molony, Jenkins, Ruddock, Penny, Deegan.

Reps: Barron, Byrne, Clarkson, Deeny, Connors, McCarthy, Tector, Russell.

Advertisement