Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Some amount of cute-hoorism in that article.

If we think romantically, we could try and beat Leinster.

We will run in the red this week, but hopefully it will get us ready for Harlequins and Munster.

If we can pick up one or two points against Leinster, it will certainly help us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They were never, ever going to be playing this game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

After playing 2 games in 6 days on return from injury, I really doubt he'll be doing anything except a recovery week.

I imagine they have no intention to train him hard this week for another 6 day turn around, even off the bench. Those 2 games will stand to him in his return to play and getting up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

One thing I have to say is I have always liked the South African “Dobbo” and that he comes across as always being positive and courteous towards his opponents. Rassie could learn from his approach in his comments on referees etc. He looks like the type of guy who puts his heart and soul into that team and if I remember correctly he almost had a metaphorical heart attack at the game deciding moment when Mannie Lebok converted to win the tournament last season. 

That will sit in my memory about him. He seems to wear his heart on his sleeve and be very open about how much his teams results mean to him. He comes across as very honest and open about his team and what he hopes for from them. The type of coach who inspires the best from his players. 

The Stormers have been the only real consistent South African team this season so they obviously have a professional set up there which churns out results week in week out. It’s just a pity they don’t have the financial backing of their union on the scale Leinster has. By that I mean they have to pick and choose which games to field their first players for and which games to achieve peak performance for. 

I look forward to seeing what team they field. I guess they will afford Leinster their full respect and field their strongest team possible. Dobson has given Leinster a run for their money this season but he is just unlucky that he is coming across this team at its pinnacle. It’s a showdown between Lancaster and Dobson for me and I’m enthralled to see who comes out on top. If we field the kids I expect it will still be close!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Using it as a warm up game for the bok players for the champions cup game

• Advertisement

Dobson confirmed that while the Stormers would field all of their available Springboks against Leinster, they are looking at that match as more of a warm-up for their upcoming Champions Cup last-16 clash against Harlequins in Cape Town.

“If we think romantically, we could try and beat Leinster. But the truth is, those guys [the Boks] haven’t played for almost two months,” Dobson said.

“So, it’s more a game of us getting ready for Harlequins [in the Champions Cup next weekend] which is a great occasion. Whether we can go further in the European Cup, I don’t know. But we will hopefully have 50 000 people at Cape Town Stadium for our first home European knockout match and it will be very special for us.

“We offered the Springboks the choice of going to Durban [to face the Sharks on Sunday] to rather use the Currie Cup to get ready, but they said they really want to get integrated and they want to go to Leinster, which is great.

i don’t see that as not affording respect to his opponents. They have to target games without as integrated a squad as Leinster have. He’s also setting goals for his team whilst giving us full respect. Saying he would like to get one or two points from the game is respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Stormers are really good to watch! They've scored some fantastic tries. It's great to have them visit Dublin this year.

Is Penny out? We may see Connors start!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd see turning around and saying that your players would rather take a URC vs a strong local derby as definitely affording respect, tbh. Though the currie cup vs. URC dynamic never makes full sense to me. Feels much closer to being competitive than AIL to Province for instance.

Lol, right on cue.

They're coming over here fully stacked to get the win. You don't undertake an 18 hour flight each way for a warm up. The Stormers could spend the next two weeks eating kebabs and binging Netflix and they'd still annihilate Quins. The Leinster game is the focus.

But look, why wouldn't they? A full strength Stormers against a massively depleted Leinster, they'll never get a better chance to win at the RDS. And it will probably mean top spot in the league too.

It's a great sign of the strength of the league that they're going full bore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The coach literally said that's what they were doing in the quoted article...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I would go with 12. Henshaw, 13. JOB

Frawley at fullback if Keenan isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I can't see anyone from the match day 23 v England involved in Friday's game. Id imagine a few are off for a few days in the sun if they are lucky. I'd say it will be a very similar 23 to the one that took on Edinburgh. With maybe Ed Byrne and tommy o brien coming in for boyle and Osbourne.

I would assume we'll have Larmour, Frawley and Molony from Ireland camp and no more. With the missing internationals and all the injuries, the best team we can send out is;

Larmour

Kearney Turner Frawley Russell

Byrne McGrath

Milne McKee Alaalatoa

Jenkins Molony

Ruddock Deegan Connors

Bench: Barron, Byrne, Clarkson, Deeny, Soroka, McCarthy, Tector, TOB

Against a full-strength Stormers?? We're going to get hammered.

The Stormers lost to a very average Ulster team at home this season and were whipped by 35 odd points. I’m not sure we’ll lose to them even if we field our kids. But if we do lose there isn’t another team I would want to do it more to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Was Penny mentioned on the injury list?

Seemed in pain going off v Edinburgh but didn't hear anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I woke up this morning with a horrible thought.

Has Sexton played his last game for Leinster??

I don't want to fear monger and normally lean to the side of positivity.

BUT... knock out rugby can be very short if we don't perform. But even if we do.... a muscle tear could easily take some months to heal.

There's 3 months until the URC final assuming we get there - we didn't last year.

I will hold off until a tangible injury update but..... it was not a nice thought

Leinster only need a couple of points to take 1st place. If we're not full strenght and the Stormers are, a losing bonus point would suffice, if we avoid them getting the full 5 pts.

This is a tricky part of the season. Integrating the international lads back, facing the Stormers and a week later facing Ulster. I just hope that we get something from this match.

I say that only because we went to SA with our kids last season and almost won (or at least were competitive) in both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They had a lot of their internationals at home last season against a much weaker Leinster team and only just about won.

U clueless,they are using this game to get time in the bok players legs.a good friend of mine is part of the coaching staff and that’s been their plan for ages seeing as the boks were on holiday for feb and March.

• Advertisement

Yip that poster is clueless.it’s been stated in the media and I’ve been told first hand that this game is used as a warm up for the bok players who have been away for a few months.

I'm actually dreading this one. Could be a long evening for us. Hopefully, it's a large crowd and a belting atmosphere.

Hope so too,I’ll be over for the game but meeting the stormers first and heading to Ashbourne as my pal is giving a speech there.hopefully victory drinks after the game.was thinking taking the guys to the pub that the Leinster boys own but not sure if it would be a good idea rocking up there after 10pm and like 20-30 people.guess the hotel bar will get a hiding lol.but to be honest at the end of the day the only games that matter are knock out games so a loss to the stormers wouldn’t really matter

And as everyone knows, everything stated in the media by South African rugby people should be taken at face value and never questioned.

Healy didn't play much last weekend! He could play? This is a big test for McKee. He's done well and should be signed, before Ulster poach him. I'll be burying my head in the sand watching Clarkson scrummaging against these boys. Ouch!!!

A little silver lining with the availability of Frawley, Ed B and TOB. I would guess that TOB will bench, if selected and the pick up starts in S.A.

Do Leinster risk Jenkins? They need him for the playoffs. Has Milne done enough to start?

Kitshoff and malherbe will prob only play 40-50min before the bench comes on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: You need to stop insulting posters if you want to continue posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How do you know a SA coach is lying? His lips are moving.

That kind of thing?

Having said that, no coach ever has openly said they were targeting a win in the RDS. They will definitely fancy their chances with a full strength squad against our seconds/thirds. If they didn’t they may as well give up.

Advertisement