Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Interesting thread from Opta. Leinster generates the fastest ruck speed in the Champions Cup, but Ulster are the team best capable of slowing that down. Does seems like a bad stylistic match for us. If Ulster can play percentage rugby, squeezing us at the breakdown and kicking accurately, we could be in trouble.

Tommy O'Brien is starting against LI too apparently.

Sam Prendergast travelling to South Africa would be huge for him. There's limited travelling numbers so he'd have a good chance of taking part in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I don't see any reason we'd be going for a 6/2 split against Ulster this weekend.

AFAIK the only times under Leo when we've done that is when Leavy was in the team after his knee and they were clearly concerned he wouldn't withstand the games.

We went 5/3 against Toulouse and La Rochelle last year and both of them had the biggest packs that one can possibly play.

We don't need that extra grunt against Ulster. Shite weather or not we should be able to beat them with he game plan we want to implement. A 6/2 split is just reactionary to another teams perceived threats.

At least 2 extremely good and in form back rows are going to miss out on the 23 entirely and that's a shame. But thems the breaks

Ringrose and Doris miss out, but Keenan is ok to play. Surprised that we haven't started Jenkins to combat Ulster's driving maul.

15. Hugo Keenan (51)

14. Jordan Larmour (86)

13. Jimmy O’Brien (66)

12. Robbie Henshaw (73)

11. James Lowe (69)

10. Ross Byrne (143)

9. Jamison Gibson-Park (122)

1. Andrew Porter (103)

2. Dan Sheehan (41)

3. Tadhg Furlong (129)

4. Ross Molony (158)

5. James Ryan (69) CAPTAIN

6. Ryan Baird (48)

7. Josh van der Flier (124)

8. Jack Conan (127)

16. John McKee (15)

17. Cian Healy (259)

18. Michael Ala’alatoa (42)

19. Jason Jenkins (12)

20. Scott Penny (53)

21. Luke McGrath (190)

22. Harry Byrne (46)

23. Ciarán Frawley (62)

Very interesting selection with a few calls I didn't see coming - JOB at 13, Molony over Jenkins and great to see Penny on the bench too. I'm glad they've backed Baird at 6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In the event of a Conan injury , who goes to 8 - Penny?

Ulster play greater to the sum of their parts up front, but I still think we can get to them there.

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Rory Sutherland, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor (Captain), Kieran Treadwell, Dave McCann, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Post edited by Clegg on

Yep. He's played there a few times and even started there on a few occasions. It wouldn't be ideal but he'd get the job done.

17. Cian Healy (259)

18. Michael Ala’alatoa (42)

19. Jason Jenkins (12)

20. Scott Penny (53)

That's a good deal of heft and work rate off the bench. Ulster a decent bench but not that kind of power.

Leinster will do much like Ireland and look to get a hard and fast start. If Ulster can do what Scotland / England did and slow us down early doors it will change the dynamic of the game, Leinster put up an early couple of scores and it will be hard to claw back.

Very excited to see Lowry, Baloucoune, Stockdale v Lowe, Larmour, Keenan. Really is some of our best back three talent up against each other.

Being honest I probably would only have Vermuelen from the Ulster pack potentially in the Leinster team and Herring and O'Toole on the bench. Ulster with the 6:2 split all the same, Cooney covering 9/10.

I saw Furlong was on a number of the teams of the tournament for the six nations. Definitely didn't warrant it, played very little and was fine but not stand out. There because he's considered the best but wasn't for me over the five weekends. Hope he continues his return to match fitness with a big game this weekend all the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bets on billy burns going off in the first 20 mins?

• Advertisement

Ulster with the 6:2 split all the same, Cooney covering 9/10.

have they?? ultimate rugby have ita a 5/3. cooney, moore and moxham

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It's actually a pretty strong Ulster bench. If they're still in the game after 60 minutes they could cause an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Is that something that happens a lot or are you thinking he's he carrying an injury after the red card challenge on him in the Bulls game? It's not something I've noticed more than I'd expect if it's the former.

If anything, he usually goes the full 80 for Ulster as they have no backup 10 (he's averaging 70 mins a game this season, going the full 80 ten times).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

IF Ulster had Harry Byrne, Jenkins and Penny they would have a real shot of winning. Grand Slam hangover and all.

Leinster by 12

Harry to Ulster!

im only commenting on it as leinster will surely view him as a very important cog in the ulster side, for reasons youve outlined above. And i am suggesting he'll be in for some extra treatment from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'm not hugely surprised by JOB at 13. I thought they would always put Henshaw at 12 to go up against McCloskey and JOB was probably the best fit therefore at 13.

Oddly, I'd say the chatter of Harry to somewhere will start up again in the next 12 months if he stays healthy and is playing well, Ross keeps doing what he's doing, and Prendergast is pushing for development minutes.

I wouldn't like to see it happen, but can see why Nucifora would see the attraction of it (despite the car crash that happened the last time Leinster lost a young promising 10 for the 'greater good').

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Based on recent form, it would be very harsh to leave out either Larmour or JOB, and Frawley has so little rugby under his belt this season, this is a good selection IMO.

Jenkins looked a bit flat against the Stormers IMO, I would have preferred to see him starting tomorrow but maybe he's not 100% either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

It wouldn't be odd. Its logical! Ulster don't have a 10. Leinster will have 3.

Two Byrne lads signed contact this time last year. Burns contract runs to 2024.

Perfect

• Advertisement

Yeah, I get that's why they've picked it that way(Henshaw v McCloskey), and it really underlines how truly versatile JOB is, but it's still a surprise to me. As talented a player as he is, he hasn't started a game there all season. I don't think he's even been shunted in there a lot this year to cover injuries, except the obvious one for Ireland against SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

So essentially, we just want to go out and play attractive rugby but Ulster are big cheatin' bastards who'll try to drag us down to their level?

That's kind of what they did in the RDS a few seasons ago iirc. Scrapped for everything on the deck, kicked decent contestables and in behind the defence. Put so much pressure on Leinster that they cracked. It's what they'll probably try again tomorrow.

no bother lads, i assume John Lacey is reffing this again?? We have it in the bag.

I agree that Jenkins isn't back to 100% yet, but I'm still surprised that he isn't starting. Thought he'd be in to help negate Ulster's maul.

The selection of Molony does suggest though that we're going for an all court game. If we can ensure territorial and possession dominance his passing game could be a huge benefit to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

JOB at 13 is a really surprising call for me. He hasn't started a game there in two seasons. I'm very surprised Frawley didn't get the nod. It's also a bit of a kick in the teeth for Turner who's performed really well there this season (against good teams). Molony over Jenkins is also a strange call.

Doris, Sexton and Ringrose are arguably our 3 best players currently. So being without all three is far from ideal. Nobody expects anything from Ulster, so they'll come down and throw the kitchen sink at us. And they're pretty much at full strength. I think we'll win, but I can't see it being a blowout. I think it will be similar to the 2019 game.

The 10 jersey belongs to Ross Byrne now. This seasons run in is his chance to show that he's an elite European cup level out half.

Doris passed his HIA but couldn't train fully this week due to illness. Shame as his inclusion would have made us far stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Doris is out and players like Max Deegan and Will Connors can't make the 23. Both far too good not to be playing European rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The mad dash for the post Sexton throne will put a lot of wheels in motion and have some knock on effects I feel.

Ross is firmly in situ and the fact that Leinster are still favourites to win Europe even without Johnny says a lot about Ross.

I think the "which Leinster 10 will go to Ulster" conversation will rear its head again at the tail end of next season and will be driven hard by the IRFU.

Ulster currently have Billy Burns and that's essentially it. Madigan either can't stay fit or isn't rated by McFarland to do the job and Flannery is on his way out. There are next to no underage prospects at outhalf except James HUmphreys who I don't feel is set for a long career.

Ulster with one or 2 smart additions have a squad that can compete in knock out rugby at present. Their crop of young talent is developing nicely. 10 is a glaring hole because I don't think Billy burns is that answer.

I can see Tector being a surplus to requirements at Leinster and I think it would be a very smart move for him

• Advertisement

Garry Ringrose was on the pitch for the captain's run this afternoon, so must have been very close to selection.

Advertisement