Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I do think that some peoples opinion on Larmours arial ability still stem from that horror show he had against Munster a few years back.

To some it's quite overstated.

But I do think it's fair to say JOB is stronger in that regard too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Definitely. Larmour is fantastic and elusive but, under the high ball it's touch and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

I thought Munster and Ulster would have been interested in Hadden too. He seemed good, and the other provinces seem to have a shortage of prop prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Munster do have Donnelly in the academy. He made the switch from tight head. Ulster have Saunderson. He hasn't made an appearance yet.

Hadden looks very good. I'd have signed him if I was Leo. You never have enough props.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned Nicholson. I'd tend to agree that he wasn't as good as Osborne or McErlean. Still, he's a member of a grand slam winning team, some province may take a punt.

Is there any news on the 3rd year academy players? Soroka is 3rd year? Definitely Hanan and O'Reilly. McKee will be signed, that's a certainty and he is deserving.

Andrew Smith, year 2 has left. Any other news?

At Leinster, at LHP, even assuming Cian Healy is more or less done, you still have Andrew Porter (recently turned 27 y/o), Michael Milne (recently turned 24), Ed Byrne (29), the highly promising Jack Boyle (just turned 21) and then Marcus Hanan (23 - and probably not going to get a full contract) in the queue, and then Paddy McCarthy coming in who will likely be a LHP at the next level I think. No room for Hadden really in that mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Surely the Penny has now dropped for Scott that he needs to leave Leinster if he wants to have a future at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

The sunshine is really bringing out the puns this afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I bet Penny must be disappointed. He really has stepped up. Connors must not be hitting the required markers.

I suppose we will see in the future. There's been rumors of Connors leaving, iirc. Penny has age on his side, he's only 23. VDF is 29, soon to be 30.

Imagine if Leavy was fit and firing! Of course, the calls for one or 2 of them to move would be deafening.

Does a move help Penny? Say he moved to Connacht, he wouldn't be in the shop window as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Reading the team sheets, it's clear that Leicester have set their side up to kick the leather off the ball, chase it, win knock ons and contestables then squeeze us up front. That's a formula that has beaten us in the past. Leicester are a good side and have the tools to win.

But I just think Leinster have too much for Leicester. Their hooker Montoya is excellent. But we have our our own phenom there as well. And the rest of our front five matches up well against theirs. If Leinster can nullify their kicking game and gain the edge up front we should win.

Post edited by Clegg on

We can kick the snot outta the liathroid too. With Lowe kicking the exits and Ross playing well, we can pressure them also.

They will try to crap up the breakdown. That's the strategy. I reckon we will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭ersatz

At least 3 Connacht players are regular starters/23 for Ireland in Bealham, Bundee and Mack and a few others are in camp. I don't think playing at any of the provinces is genuinely a disadvantage when it comes to getting into the Ireland set up, play well consistently and you'll find yourself in camp and performance there means an awful lot. I'd say Penney/Connors would get far closer to an Irish call up from Connacht than from Leinster given the current pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst I understand the disappointment for Penny and share that sentiment, I don't think this selection has been made with tonight in mind, necessarily.

When fully loaded, Leinster are likely to have Conan on the bench. Maybe Baird. Neither are opensides. VDF has had an incredible run of fitness this season. Last weekend was only the third time he has departed the field early this season either in blue or green. The knock on impact of that being that there has been very little examination of what the plan is if VDF gets injured during a big game when we're fully loaded. The likely/obvious scenario is to move Doris to openside (much more so than Conan or Baird at least) so I can understand that being examined at this point.

I would imagine that Leinster were hoping that Will Connors would come back and be at the standard he was a couple of years ago but that is yet to happen so, with that in mind, this is potentially the next best thing.

There is also the possibility that they look at Baird covering lock and blindside with Penny on the bench but I don't see that as the most likely scenario at this point given it would potentially mean two locks playing 80 minutes if Baird was required in the back row.

That's true. But, it's 3. Penny is in the environment that produces the most international players. Leinster have been the providers of over 50% of the international team for years. I do agree that Penny is in a much tougher environment with Connors and VDF as competition. Going to Connacht, he immediately starts on an average team with little competition. I think in that situation he loses out a bit, due to the fact that Connacht play to make it to the champions cup.

His situation is not ideal, maybe a move does help? He's currently 2nd in the order at Leinster and will get match time. How long will VDF be the first choice? 2 more years? 3 at most. Penny is quality and he would benifit any team.

There is always an option of Jenkins at blindside? I know he's played there in the past. Personally, I would have Doris off the bench and Penny starting. I think this back row is disjointed.

On the subject of opensides, losing young Hernan was a bit of a blow. He looked a typical 7 and had potential. He at least could have been one for the future if somebody left. I guess Martin Maloney could play at 7. There's been a slowdown at openside in the younger ranks in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Van Der Flier is 29. I'd say he could keep going as first choice for more than 2 or 3 years.

I wonder if Doris is starting at 7 to keep our lineout strong?

VDF is one of Leinsters most important players in that set piece. He's actually a cornerstone of our attack due to go well rounded his game is.

We often run dummy mauls where he is at the back of the lineout and immediately detaches to run, pass or both. Or he slots in at 9 as first receiver from the tap down to run whatever play has been called. There aren't many backrows in the world that can do this. It allows JGP to move into the backline as a dummy runner or passing option to further stress the opposition defence. Doris is an excellent passer and can potentially fulfill a similar role, albeit not to as high a level.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah jvdf has one of the longest and most accurate passes out there, which he often uses street taking a dummy maul. Doris doesn't have that range, so that option won't be available. Watch for JGP taking a lot more dummy maul moves, maybe even +1 to get the ball wider into midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 24,163 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

More like 5. Can see him pushing hard for another Lions tour and RWC 27. Then a valedictory two years in France if the body is in good shape.

I think 5 would be a stretch. It's such a demanding position.

The pre-match jitters are kicking in. Very worried about Leicester's aerial game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I am also a big ball of nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I'm nervous too, Leicester aren't just a kick and chase team..I'm sure the coaches haven't underestimated them and have the team properly prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Great nerve settler as Ringrose breaks the line and scores a minute and a half into the game.

All started from Hugo Keenan winning ball from the kickoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster will stick 50 on here

Advertisement