Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Osbourne was wearing a full leg brace last night. I doubt we will see him again this season.

I think Henshaw might travel. He was off the pace again last night and could do with minutes.

The dynamic between the leadership group at Leinster makes for interesting viewing / observation.

James Ryan was captain yesterday yet on two occasions Molony was the one making calls (posts after the scrum penalty and line out after a turnover).

I know he called the lineout but also seems to make decisions whenever there is the option of a lineout at the least if not involved or making decisions beyond that.

Lots of leaders in that Leinster team when you consider Furlong has captained Ireland, Luke McGrath and Ringrose regularly captain Leinster, Ryan has captained Ireland, Sexton has captained everything at this stage and there are a few others that are clearly vocal (Ross Byrne during the six nations talked through many of the huddles).

Aside from the on field calling - Ryan was sensational again yesterday, absolute brute of a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Every time I watch Ryan lately all I can think is ‘who hurt you James’.

I do wince at his clear outs sometime. A 6’8’ freight train. One of these he will get it a fraction wrong and it will be red.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It was another great performance with a few work ons for the Semi Final. Leicester did an excellent job repelling Leinsters driving maul and in winning breakdown turnovers. That's an area where Toulouse or Sharks can target.

Leicester also had success in their aerial game and I'm surprised they didn't use it more often. This may not be something employed by our semi final opponents though as Leicester are particularly strong there.

Hopefully we can get a few players back for the SF as the injury list is starting to pile up. A clean bill of health for VDF, Kelleher and Lowe would be a big lift. I fear Baird is gone for the rest of the season. If that's the case I think Jenkins slots in to the second row and Doris shifts to 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

There was one particular one on Wiese where he flew in from distance that I was glad wasn't reviewed 🤫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

God almighty Leicester are a negative team. Even when they were 2+ scores down they were still setting up box kicks in the middle of the pitch. They had no feasible route at all back into the game given they have no plan B at all. Pollard looked so ordinary given how they play and I have to say their 9 just isn't very good, I can't understand how he's the best 9 in England.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This I find is true in a general sense. Teams just need to have enough awareness to know when a turnover is inevitable and reset in defence. It would make the game safer if support players accepted losing the ball instead of ploughing in to make dangerous clearouts and give up a penalty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭KH25

Thought the atmosphere yesterday was very good. Having everyone in the 2 lower tiers really worked in that respect.

Ringrose and O’Brien were outstanding to watch yesterday. Ross went well too, another strong showing from him. Baird is a loss and he had been playing well, but I think Penny did a good job when he came on.

Two penalties won for scrums against the head in as many weeks. And the second was with a 7 man effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

thought that one looked a little dubious tbh, could easily see another ref ping us for running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster did play very well. The physicality was intense and Leicester came in strong. The difference though, is the skill levels. Ringrose getting by the 1st defender everttime, forwards passing the ball like they're backline players and some athletic freaks like Sheehan and Ryan in the team.

This is all with no Kelleher; VDF, Sexton and Baird leaing early. What stands out to me is our line out wasn't great, Leicester competed well and yet, Leinster didn't reak stride. Leicester are not as good as Leinster, they would be a middling team in the URC.

WIGGLESWOORTH is an embarrassment. The balls on him talking about salaries with his history. His club is financially a mess! What a turd. If you look at Leicester and the pack you will see the following

1. Cronin....Ireland

2. Montoya ...Argentina

6. Liebenburg.... S.A

8. Wiese.....S.A, not a homegrown player among then. It's typical in the premiership to see multiple foreign lads in the line ups. This constrains England's options. Perhaps a decent academy would be in order? How can they hope to produce players if they have so many imports?

Very odd to be slamming Leinster, with that squads make up.

Really looking forward to Toulouse vs Sharks. You'd expect the former to win, especially with the absence of Etzebeth for the Sharks. I don't think they play to the sum of their parts, but they've such individual quality that they remain a big unknown.

TOMAS RAMOS JUST MADE A 20 YARD SOCCER PASS TO A TEAMMATE ON HIS OWN GOALLINE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Crackin opening to this game. Big ten minutes for Sharks now with a Toulouse player in the bin.

I think Toulouse and Sharks could beat us. They are both loaded with quality. But, we are a cracking side too, despite the obvious salary advantages that we have.

Lads Meafou is a younger Skelton. A 7 foot tall ultra athletic wrecking ball.

Getting Vietnam flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think Jenkins will start the SF.

Ringrose defensively won't allow Toulouse the space the Sharks are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What a cracking half of rugby. Some serious speed out there, the Sharks scrum half and the two left wings. Mouth watering semi final with either of these teams.

So it's Toulouse in three weeks time. The Sharks QF might be quite informative for Leinster. Toulouse struggled to defend against set piece moves and were guilty of not working hard enough on kick chase. I also think they didn't look too hot in phase attack. They lived off Sharks mistakes which were numerous.

They look shattered after 60 minutes and if that Sharks try had stood the result would have been much closer. When it was disallowed it gave them a a boost and completely demoralised their opposition.

On the difficulties for Leinster, Emmanuel Meafou is a monster. He demolished rucks single handedly and changed defense into attack instantly. He also powered through double tackles like his opposition weren't there. If Leinster play loosely at all they'll be punished by an excellent counterattack. And if they fail to resource rucks adequately, they'll be blown out of it.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Advertisement

Ethebeth would have nade a difference. As far as for us, Jenkins will start to negate the big lad! At least I think he will

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

We dealt with Meafu fine last year.

Sure, but he's seems even more destructive now than last year.

There's also the niggling thought in my mind that whilst Leinster were awesome in last season's semi final, Toulouse gave up after 30 minutes. They played Munster in the QF the week before and that went to extra time and penalties. They were shattered. Leinsters ruck speed was under 3 seconds for the entire game. Toulouse didn't have the legs to compete.

I feel like there'll be a greater emotional push to make up for the thrashing they got last season. Ultimately I think Leinster will win as home advantage is huge. But I don't expect anything close to last season's scoreline. If we're behind it the scoreline is close with 20 minutes to go, who knows if Leinster can see it through.

Post edited by Clegg on

There should be updates this week on contracts. I expect McKee will get a full contract.

Exeter will be at home against LaR or Saracens? They were pretty good today, though they've been a rabble at points this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

If La Rochelle win, the semi final will be in Bordeaux, if Saracens win the semi will be in Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

La Rochelle are seeded above Exeter and Saracens are seeded below Exeter.

So Exeters semi could be home or away depending on who they have to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Exeters semi...sorry I giggled. Hope their wife doesn't find out.

Thanks all, decided I'm up for Saracens tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The final will be in a few weeks time, when Leinster play Toulouse in Dublin. Leinster will win, and then go on and beat Saracens or La Rochelle comfortably.

I'm sure they'd prefer another crack at La Rochelle, but they otherwise shouldn't have any concern over who their opponent will be in May.

Jimmy O'Brien is a very, very good player.

I need to leave now before I vomit.

Goodbye.

Advertisement