Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Saw that but does he even make their team or 23?

They'll just have to fall back on Ramos and Jaminet at fullback. How will they manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

New contract for JOB delighted for both he and Leinster. He has developed into an excellent player over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah, he was always good but his improvement over about the past 2 seasons has been off the charts.

This is very true, and it's this sort of thing that it's clear the value of the coaching these players are getting.

The development in guys like JvDF, Keenan, JOB, James Lowe, JGP, Molony, Ringrose, etc etc over the years is so stark. All of these guys visibly improved substantially within the Leinster set up (and that's not an exclusive list).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Who do Leisnter have as prospects at scrum half in the academy, is it just Ben Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Fintan Gunne going in this year.

Is Foley still in the academy or is he on a senior contract now?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Fintan Gunne just added to the academy. Looked good in U20s 6 Nations and highly rated when in St. Michael’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm pretty sure Fintan Gunne is going to join the academy next year (he is already on the South Africa tour at the moment before joining the academy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Foley has been on a senior contract since March 2022 (and renewed this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Harry Byrne was hyped up by Brian O'Driscoll a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

After a week's respite in purgatory, I have returned to the fray! Apologies to Birch. I did overstep the mark.

I have no clue as to what the new coach (JN) will bring. It could be genius. I hope it works.

The win v the Lions was fantastic. There were errors and sloppy play. Some lads looked uncomfortable in the altitude and struggled. I did think Barron looked off fairly early. Perhaps, he didn't adjust to the environment. Nick McCarthy was very poor. I've no clue as to how he's lasted this long. He's had somewhat decent cameos in the past but, this effort was shocking.

Brownlee was good. He's certainly one to keep an eye on. Turner plays like he's 6ft 5. Brilliant player. Ben Murphy very very good. Ed Byrne made a huge impact alongside Soroka. Culhane appears to be physically ready at just 29 years old.

Regarding the things that went wrong! Lot's of missed tackles, I think the altitude is a factor. Knock ons and lost line outs were poor. Overall though, I think the lads did very well. Prendergast was good and he'll be under the kosher this week. The Bulls will probably paste us, if we play as sloppy as last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

5 of his 8 starts for Toulouse have been on the wing. He was essentially signed to replace Kolbe (who had been gone a year). When Ramos and Jaminet are available, he plays wing, and that's where he would have been playing against us if selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, I think the altitude factor was under-appreciated. There was a shot of Nick McCarthy after a number of phases towards the end of the first half and he was practically grey in the face and gasping. Some people are more affected than others and scrum half is probably one of the most energy sapping positions.

Have seen it reported elsewhere that Nick McCarthy is also off to join Dave Kearney and Adam Byrne in Chicago, and that Cian Kelleher is likely going too.

Would make sense - it hasn't really worked for him at all this time with Leinster. Feel like Cormac Foley and Ben Murphy have more to offer, and curious to see what we have in Fintan Gunne.

The McCarthy signing never made sense to me but interesting the number that are going stateside. Clearly the premiership doesn't have as much to offer as it had in seasons gone by. Don't follow US rugby at all, has always seemed quite dysfunctional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Is there an argument that Toulouse are hoarding talent at fullback?

Should some of this talent not be distributed to Ulster or Munster or Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DelMcG

Found out yesterday (apologies if this is common knowledge) that Dave Kearney is part of the consortium that owns the Chicago Hounds. I wonder how he managed to convince Dave Kearney to sign? 😏

Also, awful awful name for a team (not unusual in MLR to be fair). Really, just bite the bullet and call them the Wolfhounds with all the Irish interest there now... changing names on a whim is nothing new in MLR either: RUNY changed to the Rugby New York Ironworkers over the off-season and there was the whole Gilgronis/Giltinis nonsense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement

Old Man Turner there, having to babysit the kids now that Rhys is out injured 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The McCarthy for Patterson trade will never make sense in my head. Having said that sometimes a player thrives in a different setup and sometimes that just can't be helped which looks to be the case for Patterson and good for him.

Nick on the other hand just doesn't offer a significant point of difference to set himself apart. He had a strong rise arguably earlier than other young 9s but peaked at a lower level than was probably expected of him and just hasn't kicked on

At 28 he is well past the point of up and coming talent and we are right now - rightly or wrongly - seeing a player at his peak. I think it's very fair to say that Foley and Murphy both are as good or better than Nick was at the same age. So it makes sense for them to get their opportunities.

A poster on LF make a stark, slightly harsh, but pretty accurate statement of in 60 games for Leinster, has he actually had a game where he stood out? Any time he has played it has been middling at best. His strike rate is also disappointingly low. 5 Tries for Leinster total. And only 1 since he returned from Munster (he's played 24 times since coming back)

Compare that to JGP (7 tries in 23 appearances) and Luke (9 tries in 42 appearances) over the last 2 seasons. A pretty poor return. Less relevant comparison but still noting that Patterson has scored 5 tries in 21 appearances for Munster.

Side note - he was born in the USA according to Wiki and Leinster. Playing in the US would have him immediately eligible for International Rugby. That could be an option for him.

Agree with all of that. I don't think there was much handwringing when he went to Munster in the first place & the return wasn't greeted with much fanfare either. Patterson hadn't shown signs of the player he'd become & in fact, I think folks were more upset that we were losing Rowan Osborne, given what he'd shown in his cameo appearances up to that point.

You're absolutely right that McCarthy has never done anything to stand out. Cruelly, I've seen him being sent on as a replacement being described as "giving the opposition a fair shot" more than once 😬 He's just a bit too slow in his decision making & even then, his reading of the game isn't the best either. You can be slow but accurate and have that pay off with a strong pack, but he's spends too long scanning the horizon only to pass to first man anyway.

He'll probably do alright in the States & given the shambles that is USA Rugby, I have no doubt they'll cap him right away (Disclaimer: not "cap him" in the 1920s Chicago sense!)

I don't see him lasting at Leinster. He's just not good enough. Fair play to him if he does move to Chicago.

I was impressed with the comms for the Lions game. The S.A commentators don't stray from the match. They are knowledgeable and all business. What a refreshing match to watch!

I ove that new lad Kurney! It took a while for me to register they were referring to DK! LOL.

49 seconds in, listen out for the SA commentator gamely try to pronounce Vakh Abdaladze. It's really something...

I do agree though on the quality of SuperSport comms. All business, no clichés, informative without being dull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Who is that commentator actually? He's really good

It's Owen Nkumane on SuperSport SA. They had the SA comms on Premier but foolishly, I watched RTE...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Springsteen concerts on 5th 7th and 9th of May (Friday Sunday and Tuesday) means that RDS won't be available for the URC QF and possibily for the SF.

I presume the plan will be for the Aviva. Donnybrook would be too low and I can't think of any other likely stadium. Given the attendance URC knockouts usually attract this could be a disaster.

Hopefully Leinster price the tickets to sell and to attract fans. €20 tickets with an option to buy a junior ticket for €5 with every adult ticket or something.

I also think tickets should go on sale now. Pressurise URC for a date and time for the Leinster QF and start selling. Don't try and sell in just two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I heard on OTB a few weeks back that Leinster plan to use the Aviva for every home game that comes their way for the rest of this season.

Advertisement