Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

sebdavis wrote: »
    I’m talking about academy. Who is coming up in academy.

The game yesterday was of little importance, I would expect every season for these games, no matter who the opponent is, young players will be given a chance.

If the opposition decide to play their first team not much Leinster can do but it does provide good experience for those young players

Cormac Foley who had a grand total of six minutes last night.

I'd wager that if we didn't have Europe next week, we'd have had a better team out there last night. Maybe not full strength but certainly stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Any way to get rid of that poll. It's annoying seeing it every time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Any way to get rid of that poll. It's annoying seeing it every time

No we’ve asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Yea. It's just the standard superlatives they trot out. Same with any team playing Italy in 6 nations.

Leinster can't come out and say "furlong is an irish player we get for heineken cup, irfu screwed us around the salanoa business last year so there is a gap in our depth chart. We aren't sure if vakh is crocked so we are left with a 21 year old for the bulk of the season"

It's the first non irish qualified front row I can remember in a long time. There was an embargo on them for ages. Afoa/botha the last time any province have had one as far as I can recall. Even earlier we had to go for parker as he's irish qualified when we were stuck.

If Salanoa didn't move and stayed with leinster would Munster have been allowed to sign a front row?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

How did maloney play ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Stan27 wrote: »
    How did maloney play ?

Only got 8 minutes so barely featured. He took one throw at the tail of the lineout showing some great athleticism to take it. Good line speed to put in a couple of hits too.

Got his hands on the ball once or twice but not to any great effect.

Certainly worth seeing again as blindside is a position where someone could potentially do with an option coming through and putting their hand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If Salanoa didn't move and stayed with leinster would Munster have been allowed to sign a front row?

If Salanoa didn't move and say Keenan Knox had left then maybe, because you have to remember we lost Aungier at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Very hypothetical but I think they would have been told make do with knox and the two other irish qualified tight heads who generally would be available (as in not called up to irish camp)

Think leinster get away with it from the point of view of porter and furlong being minded and clarkson getting a reasonable amount of gametime as a result. A foreign prop in munster of the calibre leinster added would mean Knox would rarely see game time. (as archer/Ryan there also a lot of the time)

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Very hypothetical but I think they would have been told make do with knox and the two other irish qualified tight heads who generally would be available (as in not called up to irish camp)

Think leinster get away with it from the point of view of porter and furlong being minded and clarkson getting a reasonable amount of gametime as a result. A foreign prop in munster of the calibre leinster added would mean Knox would rarely see game time. (as archer/Ryan there also a lot of the time)

Thanks, was just wondering, I think the irfu made a mistake moving him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Thanks, was just wondering, I think the irfu made a mistake moving him...

Yea. aungier was the one I sort of felt sorry for. Aungier asked Leo where he was in pecking order and was told behind salanoa (as well as furlong, porter, bent and vakh) probably knew about clarkson coming up too. So when connacht came in for him he left. Next thing salanoa gone, vakh and furlong injured and we had to emergency sign parker.

I feel a fair bit of the meddling is counter productive. Porter was switched from loose head and now talk of switching him back (which was entirely predictable based on his 20's ability and respective ages of healy/furlong) carbery was moved from leinster because leinster were looking at him as a 15 which a lot of people are now saying might be his better position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Good interview with Jack Conan

'I thought I was going to be absolutely smoked. He would have melted me in the ribs' https://the42.ie/5417962

• Registered Users Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Furlong to Worcester rumours doing the rounds, say it ain't so

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Would be an awful move for him career wise, they're bottom of the table again with only 3 wins. They've consistently skirted the bottom of the table place for the last 3 or 4 seasons in a row.

But I suppose the money must be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Worcester are a nothing club. Rugby wise that feels like an awful move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There were always going to be rumours, helps with the negotiations. But hopefully its just a tactic to speed things along, get a better IRFU contract. You'd have to think that a "reasonable compromise" can be agreed. Would hate to see him leave Leinster, whatever about the impact on the Irish team.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,657 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

theyve signed Christian Judge from bath as TH for next season

Furlongs not going there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

sydthebeat wrote: »

Furlongs not going there

So you're saying Bath need a tighthead...

Serbian wrote: »
    So you're saying Bath need a tighthead...

will stuart says hello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

If Furlong left to be anything other than one of the best paid players at one of the best clubs in Europe he would be selling himself horrendously short.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

No chance, Worchester are at the bottom of table and will win nothing/ R Kearney was on podcast saying only medals count at end of career, Furlong if leaving will be going to a club capable of winning medals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Furlongs not going there

I heard he was off to the US Supreme court

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No chance, Worchester are at the bottom of table and will win nothing/ R Kearney was on podcast saying only medals count at end of career, Furlong if leaving will be going to a club capable of winning medals.

Furlong has plenty of medals already at club level. If a nothing club wants to give him a pile of money for a year and he can get a rest from the rigours of test rugby, then why not move?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If it happens (and I still think it's a big 'if'), he wouldn't be the first player to turn down medals for money, despite what Rob Kearney might have to say on the matter.

A year contract away whilst, I presume, every Irish player is getting low-balled would be prudent of him

Furlongs not going there

Christian Judge is a squad player. If they're looking for a starting tighthead, they could easily sign both. They're also losing some of their non-English test players this summer in Weir and Hougaard. They probably have capacity to bring someone in.

Worcester are a funny bunch. They've history of bringing in some big names historically whilst retaining a squad packed with journeymen for the most part.

Buer wrote: »
    Christian Judge is a squad player. If they're looking for a starting tighthead, they could easily sign both. They're also losing some of their non-English test players this summer in Weir and Hougaard. They probably have capacity to bring someone in.

Worcester are a funny bunch. They've history of bringing in some big names historically whilst retaining a squad packed with journeymen for the most part.

they also have DVDM coming down from edinburgh who'll be on a decent wedge.
    weir wouldn't have been on marquee salary surely either.

id be flabbergasted if he goes to Worcester, even if just for a year.

the premiership will be most likely ringfenced for another 4 seasons. worcester are in, theyre not going to win it... so i cant see any point at all with then paying mental top dollar for Furlong for a year where nothing will happen for them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I find it hard to believe Leinster could lose 4 tight heads in 12 months and bring one in. I

they also have DVDM coming down from edinburgh who'll be on a decent wedge.
    weir wouldn't have been on marquee salary surely either.

id be flabbergasted if he goes to Worcester, even if just for a year.

the premiership will be most likely ringfenced for another 4 seasons. worcester are in, theyre not going to win it... so i cant see any point at all with then paying mental top dollar for Furlong for a year where nothing will happen for them

Don't get me wrong, nobody expected them even to be linked with Furlong let alone for a deal to potentially to happen. I'll still be shocked if he goes there.

I'm just giving it context in terms of it's not unheard of for them to go out and sign a big money name whilst still being a completely uncompetitve team at the foot of the table.

Buer wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, nobody expected them even to be linked with Furlong let alone for a deal to potentially to happen. I'll still be shocked if he goes there.

I'm just giving it context in terms of it's not unheard of for them to go out and sign a big money name whilst still being a completely uncompetitve team at the foot of the table.

yeah fair point. it would be a huge head scratcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Osborne confirmed to Munster

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1386666913682571269

Good for him for making the most of his opportunities. Was signed from AIL after an initial trial.

Definitely getting an upgrade in McCarthy.

Hope it works out for him in Munster - I wouldn't have him ahead of Cronin who'd be due back at the start of next season

EDIT: thinking about it I'd probably have him on par or slightly better than Cronin. Stronger pass

Advertisement