Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Furlong to Worcester rumours doing the rounds, say it ain't so

These rumours are ridiculous. He's going nowhere.

Does Tadhg really strike people as ready to bog off to the UK or France for a year for an extra 100k? Some may regard that attitude as merely logical professionalism and profit-maximization. But I doubt Furlong thinks so. If he gets antsy on the cash front he just needs to turn his endorsements up etc. He's one of the most popular sportsmen in the country, people really like him. A move like that floated would be myopic. Anyway the IRFU will empty the piggy-bank on him, they'd be fools not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I know we didn't see a whole lot of Osbourne, his appearances were rarely longer than 15 minutes, but I always thought he looked fairly good, a step above O'Sullivan and Patterson anyway. He doesn't have a whole lot of top level rugby under his belt for someone who is going to be 25 early next season, but I think he could end up being a solid Pro12/14/16 option for Munster. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Do we feel there's any additional concern about the La Rochelle game after getting soundly thumped by Munster? I would say mostly no, because it's going to be a very very different XV/XIII out, but hopefully the squad just forget about it and pull 100% focus on this weekend rather than spending much time on the review.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭crisco10

Do we feel there's any additional concern about the La Rochelle game after getting soundly thumped by Munster? I would say mostly no, because it's going to be a very very different XV/XIII out, but hopefully the squad just forget about it and pull 100% focus on this weekend rather than spending much time on the review.

Based on the Osprey's performance the week before Exeter, no worries for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't really feel any concern due to the Munster match but I do feel concern from a quality of the opposition angle. La Rochelle are in flying form at the moment and have a really strong side. Reading their fan's forum, they have a big focus on this game. They're planning a guard of honour through the town for the bus on the way to the stadium, for example.

Ahead of Exeter, I was somewhat unsure as to how the game would go but I had the comfort of tracking Exeter's performance in 2021 which had been very uneven and they had lost a number of matches including at home. La Rochelle are a diffferent kettle of fish. Their players and their team are in great form and they've been very solid of late. Their last defeat was at the start of March to Toulouse by 3 points.

The bookies have this as being much more in Leinster's favour than they had the Exeter game but I would think it will end up a tighter game. ROG was asked about his outhalf selection last week on OTB where he played the game a bit suggesting neither of his outhalves are currently fit and it's touch and go for next week. I'd be shocked if West or Plisson (and probably West) isn't on the field next Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Obviously, LA Rochelle are a very good side. But so are we. It will be a hard match, but we're more than capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

They will not have met a back row like ours and James Ryan back is huge. Our 80 minute intensity is hard to handle and we know how to win big cup matches even if we fall behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

VANG1 wrote: »
    They will not have met a back row like ours and James Ryan back is huge. Our 80 minute intensity is hard to handle and we know how to win big cup matches even if we fall behind.

In fairness, Sale's back row with the Du Preez twins and Tom Curry is nothing to scoff at.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

VANG1 wrote: »

They won't have but, as a trio, I think their back row is as good. I think they're the two best back row units in Europe. Where Leinster need to go after them is depth and that 50-70min mark where we bring in Baird, Porter and, hopefully, Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think the idea of Furlong going to Worcester can.be discounted. Other than World Cup success he's literally won every trophy of consequence. If they're offering the most money he'd be sorely tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Clegg wrote: »
    I don't think the idea of Furlong going to Worcester can.be discounted. Other than World Cup success he's literally won every trophy of consequence. If they're offering the most money he'd be sorely tempted.
    This presumes that people's decisions are driven by financial maximization.

It's a strange thing to believe in a system like Ireland's, where there must be literally dozens of player who could up their salaries tomorrow by moving to the Prem/Top14/Japan. But they don't, usually because they hope to play for the country. But there are many other reasons that would keep people at home as well: partners, friends, children's education, responsibilities to parents etc.

As an emigrant myself, the situation with Covid has made these separations more meaningful, because you can't just get on a flight once a month and maintain two lives in parallel. Any sportsperson pondering a move would have to take this into consideration.

I understand that people are nervous because of the delay in announcing a contract renewal, and the concern that a brilliant player would leave, but Tadhg Furlong seems a curious figure around whom to speculate in this manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Clegg wrote: »

I posted already, R Kearney was on a podcast this morning saying it is all about medals at the end of the day. I remember BOD said something similar. Both said it was great they could stay at Leinster and win those medals.

Why would one of the best, if not the best player in his position in the World write off 2-3 years of his career to win nothing? he will be already on the top top wages no matter what clubs he goes to or stays with

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sebdavis wrote: »
    I posted already, R Kearney was on a podcast this morning saying it is all about medals at the end of the day. I remember BOD said something similar. Both said it was great they could stay at Leinster and win those medals.

Why would one of the best, if not the best player in his position in the World write off 2-3 years of his career to win nothing? he will be already on the top top wages no matter what clubs he goes to or stays with

The "top top wages" are being cut across the board by the IRFU. If Furlong can earn some extra £££ without the rigours of test rugby for a season, I can see the reasoning for a move. Worcester won't be in the Champions Cup either so he will really only be playing in the Premiership.

A short term move could prolong his career, I doubt he would sign a deal that would compromise a RWC. He'll be back in Ireland by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Sexton spent 2 years away, and he's on the verge of winning his 5th Heineken Cup. Money talks at the end of the day and if Worcester are offering more than the IRFU, I can see him cashing in. Obviously I hope he doesn't. But he's already won a Heineken Cup and 4 Pro14s. Even if he leaves and comes back when he's 30, he'll still win more than most players can dream of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Why would one of the best, if not the best player in his position in the World write off 2-3 years of his career to win nothing?
    he will be already on the top top wages no matter what clubs he goes to or stays with

Money is the obvious answer. That’s great that’s how R Kearney and Drico felt, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s how Furlong feels. He wouldn’t be the first player to forego medals if a significantly larger salary is on offer elsewhere.

Hello 2013
    Hiya Sexton
    How goes it Racing 92
    Oh hey there all that cash, all that cash.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hello 2013
    Hiya Sexton
    How goes it Racing 92
    Oh hey there all that cash, all that cash.

Not sure the Sexton move is all that relevant - he was (utterly stupidly and genuinely incomprehensibly) massively lowballed by the IRFU and would have moved basically anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think theres a strong case for starting Kearney over Larmour for this semi final. If it was a home game, I'd have Larmour in there. But in a high pressure European Semi Final, away in France, I think Kearney's defence and aerial ability (both areas where he is superior to Larmour) might just be invaluable.

I think the rest of the team more-or-less picks itself. Toner or Fardy in the 2nd row might be a tight call too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

TRC10 wrote: »
    Sexton spent 2 years away, and he's on the verge of winning his 5th Heineken Cup. Money talks at the end of the day and if Worcester are offering more than the IRFU, I can see him cashing in. Obviously I hope he doesn't. But he's already won a Heineken Cup and 4 Pro14s. Even if he leaves and comes back when he's 30, he'll still win more than most players can dream of.

Sexton is a different case because he knew he'd be able to keep playing for Ireland. He left in 2013 knowing it had no impact on he ability to play in the 2015 RWC. Anyone leaving in 2021 is giving up on RWC 2023.

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sexton is a different case because he knew he'd be able to keep playing for Ireland. He left in 2013 knowing it had no impact on he ability to play in the 2015 RWC. Anyone leaving in 2021 is giving up on RWC 2023.

Furlong would be straight back in for the RWC if he signed for Leinster again at any point before it starts. Plenty of time for a 2 year contract somewhere.

Does anyone really believe he'd be left sitting at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

I think theres a strong case for starting Kearney over Larmour for this semi final. If it was a home game, I'd have Larmour in there. But in a high pressure European Semi Final, away in France, I think Kearney's defence and aerial ability (both areas where he is superior to Larmour) might just be invaluable.

I think the rest of the team more-or-less picks itself. Toner or Fardy in the 2nd row might be a tight call too.

I would normally tend to agree with your logic but I don’t know if DK will be any better in defence against this LR attack so I would go with Larmour because of the increased danger he offers out wide, I’d start Toner but I think the 19/20 jerseys then become the debate, Baird has to take one but do you give the other to Toner/Fardy/Molony or an actual back row player like a Connors/Doris, or even a Penny, despite the lack of game time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

awec wrote: »
    Furlong would be straight back in for the RWC if he signed for Leinster again at any point before it starts. Plenty of time for a 2 year contract somewhere.

Does anyone really believe he'd be left sitting at home?

Yeah that's a fair point.

Right Tadhg, enjoy Worcester.

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah that's a fair point.

Right Tadhg, enjoy Worcester.

I have my doubts that he'd be dropped at all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

would have agreed prior to the Exeter game.
    His two tries, particularly the second one were quality finishes.

Toner/Ryan second row pairing to start.
    Baird and Fardy on bench, Dorris not getting game time last week makes that a straightforward bench call.
    Essentially same team as Exeter with Ryan knocking Fardy to bench and Maloney the knock on effect.
    Byrne/sexton at 10 then. I'd probably start Byrne and if Sexton comes through the return to play protocols he goes on bench. Give Byrne the week of prep.
    If Sexton and harry byrne out we are in a tight spot for sub 10

Also reading between the lines i think i'd get park on the bench. Sounds like the hamstring nearly right but can't fully test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

11. Kearney, 14. Larmour, 15. Keenan, 23. Lowe if you want to pick your most in form players to start IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭crisco10

11. Kearney, 14. Larmour, 15. Keenan, 23. Lowe if you want to pick your most in form players to start IMO.

Overall over the last 3 months, this is true. But at club level Lowe brings a heck of a lot that Kearny can't, it was down Lowe's wing that Leinster started to take a hold of the Exeter game toward the end of the first quarter.

DK has been superb this year, but I just think Lowe and Larmour have that top 5% that he doesn't have, and in a HEC semi, that's important. Don't get me wrong, if DK starts, I'll be comfortable but just think we might be missing a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What's the likely 23 for the weekend, IMO I'd go with the following:
    1. Healy, 2. Kelleher, 3. Furlong,
    4. Baird, 5. Ryan,
    6. Ruddock, 8. Conan, 7. Van der Flier,
    9. McGrath, 10. Sexton,
    11. Kearney, 12. Henshaw, 13. Ringrose, 14. Larmour,
    15. Keenan.
    Subs: 16. Sheehan, 17. Byrne, 18. Porter, 19. Toner, 20. Doris, 21. Gibson-Park, 22. R Byrne, 23. Lowe.

Difficult decisions at 4/19, 11/23 and 16. Hopefully Sexton, Doris and Gibson-Park will all be fit and ready for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭accensi0n

What's the likely 23 for the weekend, IMO I'd go with the following:
    1. Healy, 2. Kelleher, 3. Furlong,
    4. Baird, 5. Ryan,
    6. Ruddock, 8. Conan, 7. Van der Flier,
    9. McGrath, 10. Sexton,
    11. Kearney, 12. Henshaw, 13. Ringrose, 14. Larmour,
    15. Keenan.
    Subs: 16. Sheehan, 17. Byrne, 18. Porter, 19. Toner, 20. Doris, 21. Gibson-Park, 22. R Byrne, 23. Lowe.

Difficult decisions at 4/19, 11/23 and 16. Hopefully Sexton, Doris and Gibson-Park will all be fit and ready for selection.

Probably best to look to the future and play someone else at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

Season tickets for next year on sale today.
    Reckons there will be strong demand for them, people wanting to get back to supporting team in person & the social aspect to it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Lowe was the man who’s power started the fight back against Exeter. He is a definite starter. Larmour scored 2 fantastic tries, he’s a definite starter also. Both have the ability to turn a game.

Advertisement