Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if we have 80% of the adult population vaccinated by September, then there will be no logical reason not to allow mass gatherings again.

the whole idea of lockdown and restrictions were to make sure the health service was not overrun.

i really fear NHET will try to stretch these lockdowns out as long as possible to by time for HSE managers to clear backlogs, rather than any real covid threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Proposal to have that match with fans rejected because currently in level 5. Seems like a poor response when it was planned for May but maybe things won't change much in a few weeks. https://www.the42.ie/leinster-rugby-proposal-or-safe-return-of-fans-5421679-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Eod100 wrote: »
    Proposal to have that match with fans rejected because currently in level 5. Seems like a poor response when it was planned for May but maybe things won't change much in a few weeks. https://www.the42.ie/leinster-rugby-proposal-or-safe-return-of-fans-5421679-Apr2021/

B****x answer from a spineless government happy to sit back and let everyone else do the work. Other countries across Europe are having these trials, some in worse shape then us yet we cant do it because "the number 5 makes it impossible".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Eod100 wrote: »

It's because it was proposed by Leinster and not by the government to be honest. Think they've made it pretty clear by now that they don't want to entertain any suggestions/discussions from anyone external.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

sebdavis wrote: »
    It didn't matter what Lowe did for Ireland, he already had a number of people who wanted him off the team before he even pulled on a jersey.
    You had a similar witch hunt by the same people after Larmour at 15.

Best to leave them to it. Lowe will start for me, based on the qtr final I would expect Larmour on the other wing

I think that might be giving him too much credit, I’m a big fan of Lowe but his defensive weaknesses that he just about hides most of the time for Leinster got badly exposed at international level, I think the summer tour will be good for him to get a bit of confidence in the jersey but anyway I’ll stop the Irish chat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

molloyjh wrote: »
    6-2 split and hope for the best if Byrne Jnr and Frawley are out. Hawkshaw will not be in the 23 at all.

Who do you put sub out half if Sexton, Frawley and H Byrne are still unavailable? You can’t play a game without a sub 10. You can’t just hope for the best you need back up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sounds like Frawley will be available - hard not to see him on the bench in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    Who do you put sub out half if Sexton, Frawley and H Byrne are still unavailable? You can’t play a game without a sub 10. You can’t just hope for the best you need back up.

6/2 split with Ringorse covering 10. If Hawkshaw has to play 10 we're ****ed anyway, so it would just be a waste of a spot on the bench that could go to Penny or Kearney.

TRC10 wrote: »
    6/2 split with Ringorse covering 10. If Hawkshaw has to play 10 we're ****ed anyway, so it would just be a waste of a spot on the bench that could go to Penny or Kearney.

That’s a bit harsh. I thought Hawkshaw did a decent job against Munster. Don’t think Penny will do a good job at 10. If worst case scenario and we have Hawkshaw having to play 10 I highly doubt he’d make to team lose. We’ll be fine

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sounds like Frawley will be available - hard not to see him on the bench in that case.

Good to hear

• Advertisement

That’s a bit harsh. I thought Hawkshaw did a decent job against Munster. Don’t think Penny will do a good job at 10. If worst case scenario and we have Hawkshaw having to play 10 I highly doubt he’d make to team lose. We’ll be fine

I like Hawkshaw, I think he's a talented player. But he did anything but a decent job v Munster. When our pack was getting absolutely bullied (not his fault), his game management was non existent. Constantly trying to play off crap ball, taking the ball standing still and shovelling it on to R'OL or Ringorse to get smashed. There were dozens of times where we were losing yards every phase, and we needed to just put boot to ball and start again. But he never kicked and kept trying to play off terrible ball until the turnover inevitably occured.

If Hawkshaw has to come on and steer the ship away against La Rochelle in a Euro Semi Final, we're in serious trouble.

And yeah, ha ha ha, you don't think Penny will do a good job at 10, real knee slapper, 10/10.

Well thank God you’re not the coach. When have you ever seen a team go into a game with no back up 10? Penny or Kearney obviously can’t play 10 that’d be just stupid having one of them to replace Ross Byrne. You need a sub half back

I like Hawkshaw, I think he's a talented player. But he did anything but a decent job v Munster. When our pack was getting absolutely bullied (not his fault), his game management was non existent. Constantly trying to play off crap ball, taking the ball standing still and shovelling it on to R'OL or Ringorse to get smashed. There were dozens of times where we were losing yards every phase, and we needed to just put boot to ball and start again. But he never kicked and kept trying to play off terrible ball until the turnover inevitably occured.

If Hawkshaw has to come on and steer the ship away against La Rochelle in a Euro Semi Final, we're in serious trouble.

And yeah, ha ha ha, you don't think Penny will do a good job at 10, real knee slapper, 10/10.

True but we would have no other choice, let’s just hope Frawley or Sexton are available

True but we would have no other choice, let’s just hope Frawley or Sexton are available

Sexton isn't available and Frawley hasn't played since January.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Well thank God you’re not the coach. When have you ever seen a team go into a game with no back up 10? Penny or Kearney obviously can’t play 10 that’d be just stupid having one of them to replace Ross Byrne. You need a sub half back

It doesn’t happen often, but it does happen, particularly when there are injuries. For example, Rory Scannell covered 10 for Munster v Clermont.

You obviously don’t pick Penny or Kearney to replace Ross Byrne. You pick them to come on and impact the game at back-row and wing respectively, with the hope that Ross Byrne doesn’t pick up injury.

It’s a risk, but it’s one that needs to be balanced again the risk of potentially needing to bring on Hawkshaw also. But the notion that teams never do it isn’t accurate.

aloooof wrote: »
    It doesn’t happen often, but it does happen, particularly when there are injuries. For example, Rory Scannell covered 10 for Munster v Clermont.

You obviously don’t pick Penny or Kearney to replace Ross Byrne. You pick them to come on and impact the game at back-row and wing respectively, with the hope that Ross Byrne doesn’t pick up injury.

It’s a risk, but it’s one that needs to be balanced again the risk of potentially needing to bring on Hawkshaw also. But the notion that teams never do it isn’t accurate.

South Africa didn't have a 10 on the bench in the World Cup

Different situation, but now that I think about it, neither did England ;)

That’s because Rory Scannell can play 10 and has played there in the past. I was talking about the fact he was saying just put Scott Penny or Dave Kearney sub for Ross Byrne instead, that would be ridiculous

Who was number 22?

That’s because Rory Scannell can play 10 and has played there in the past. I was talking about the fact he was saying just put Scott Penny or Dave Kearney sub for Ross Byrne instead, that would be ridiculous

Mate, I wasn't saying Penny or Kearney would be covering 10. And I think you know that. Stop strawmaning

• Advertisement

Who was number 22?

Their 22 was their reserve 9, because they had a 6/2 split.

Number 22 doesn't have to be an out half. England don't have an out half on the bench because they have Ford and Farrell starting. SA didn't have an out half on the bench, Le Roux was their cover at 10. It just so happens that 22 is usually an out half, but often it isn't.

I'll leave aside the Penny / Kearney comment, which is a strawman.

Scannell has started 114 games for Munster. 2 of them have been at 10 the last being in 2015. Scannell has more experience than, say, Ringrose covering 10, but it's pretty marginal.

Yeah because England had 2 world class 10s starting.

South Africa had 1 recognised 10 in their match day 23. How is that different to Leinster possibly doing the same?

It's not; if you read back, I was agreeing with your overall point. Just pointing out the unusual case where there were no dedicated 10's on the bench in the RWC Final. Both SA and England doing so with different, but legitimate circumstances.

i.e. my "different situation" comment was in reference to England, not Leinster.

It's not; if you read back, I was agreeing with your overall point. Just pointing out the unusual case where there were no dedicated 10's on the bench in the RWC Final. Both SA and England doing so with different, but legitimate circumstances.

Oh yeah sorry my bad. I thought you were saying the South Africa scenario was different to Leinster. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster initially went without an outhalf on the bench against Connacht. Hawkshaw only was added the bench after an injury in that game.

Mate, I wasn't saying Penny or Kearney would be covering 10. And I think you know that. Stop strawmaning

“ If Hawkshaw has to play 10 we're ****ed anyway, so it would just be a waste of a spot on the bench that could go to Penny or Kearney.” It sounds like you meant that you would prefer Penny or Kearney to replace Ross Byrne if he went off. I’m not strawmaning

Their 22 was their reserve 9, because they had a 6/2 split.

Number 22 doesn't have to be an out half. England don't have an out half on the bench because they have Ford and Farrell starting. SA didn't have an out half on the bench, Le Roux was their cover at 10. It just so happens that 22 is usually an out half, but often it isn't.
    So who would you have as sub out half if Frawley, H Byrne and Sexton are unavailable?

“ If Hawkshaw has to play 10 we're ****ed anyway, so it would just be a waste of a spot on the bench that could go to Penny or Kearney.” It sounds like you meant that you would prefer Penny or Kearney to replace Ross Byrne if he went off. I’m not strawmaning

He literally said “6/2 split and Ringrose to cover 10” in the sentence before this.

So who would you have as sub out half if Frawley, H Byrne and Sexton are unavailable?

I wouldn't have one. I'd have Ringrose covering 10, and I'd hope Byrne doesn't get hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

They had steyn who has the skill set to cover 10, 12 or 15

Advertisement