Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes, and plisson is the reserve

As expected, I am not sure why teams anymore bother with this "oh we have so many injuries" the weeks before these games. Then magically they all clear up

Problem for Leinster is the injuries are in fact true

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah i find leinsters communication with the media to be truthful to the point of helping the opposition.
    McBryde basically came out at the start of the week and told La Rochelle what leinster are going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

yeah i find leinsters communication with the media to be truthful to the point of helping the opposition.
    McBryde basically came out at the start of the week and told La Rochelle what leinster are going to do.

I doubt Leinster spent the week preparing the La Rochelle thinking they would have no fit 10

The so called "mind games" are a lot of rubbish. Wasn't it Gatland who kept telling everyone the Irish team before the games like Joe was losing the plot about leaks

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sebdavis wrote: »
    I doubt Leinster spent the week preparing the La Rochelle thinking they would have no fit 10

The so called "mind games" are a lot of rubbish. Wasn't it Gatland who kept telling everyone the Irish team before the games like Joe was losing the plot about leaks

id say leinster are pretty happy that west is starting ahead of plisson

west is very good at what he does well (rapidly quick, great passer, off load for days)... but hes flaky under pressure, not great from the boot or tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

sebdavis wrote: »
    As expected, I am not sure why teams anymore bother with this "oh we have so many injuries" the weeks before these games. Then magically they all clear up

You mean, players recover from injuries??

West had to go off injured in their last match two weeks ago and Plisson hasn't played in a month. Now they're fit again.

I don't think there's anything sinister here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, I thought revealing Sexton wouldn't play so early was incredibly honest. Why not leave LAR guessing for a bit longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

id say leinster are pretty happy that west is starting ahead of plisson

west is very good at what he does well (rapidly quick, great passer, off load for days)... but hes flaky under pressure, not great from the boot or tee.

All very true. He is a Carlos Spencer lite. I will always remember him fondly for the try he scored for Blues against the BI Lions. But I think that was about the pinnacle of his career in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Cant believe Gourdon is a sub, he has been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gotta feel for HOS. I know he was poor against Munster

Osborne hasn't played in 6 weeks due to injury and has never really been looked at ahead of HOS and he's confirmed off to Munster.

I mean it's clear neither would get on unless Luke drops - but still feel for him

I don't want to slate the guy but HOS is not cut out for this level of rugby imo. The last game Osborne played I'm pretty sure was the Ospreys where Leinster lost, and things went completely to pot when HOS came on unfortunately. It's the right call.

Anyway, in general that's a really good team. You'd feel desperate for poor Dave Kearney but they figure ROL will cover everywhere but 15 I guess in the outside backs. And he started against Exeter and the final against Munster so has some good rugby in him recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hahashake

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    All very true. He is a Carlos Spencer lite. I will always remember him fondly for the try he scored for Blues against the BI Lions. But I think that was about the pinnacle of his career in NZ.

Extra-lite Spencer maybe. Another in a long line of ultimately not great Blues 10s.

Slightly amusing that La Rochelle have two ginger Maoris in the halves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Gotta feel for HOS. I know he was poor against Munster

Osborne hasn't played in 6 weeks due to injury and has never really been looked at ahead of HOS and he's confirmed off to Munster.

I mean it's clear neither would get on unless Luke drops - but still feel for him

Osborne has been ahead of HOS for a while now. I don’t think if Osborne had been fit last week HOS would have started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

I don't want to slate the guy but HOS is not cut out for this level of rugby imo. The last game Osborne played I'm pretty sure was the Ospreys where Leinster lost, and things went completely to pot when HOS came on unfortunately. It's the right call.

Anyway, in general that's a really good team. You'd feel desperate for poor Dave Kearney but they figure ROL will cover everywhere but 15 I guess in the outside backs. And he started against Exeter and the final against Munster so has some good rugby in him recently.

He’s not cut out for rugby in the frame of mind he is in. Remember he is a double cup winner at schools level and excels when surrounded with familiar players who he trusts around him. Hawkshaw hasn’t stood either and he stood out at schools level. It’s partially about mindset and partially about adapting to the people you are surrounded with. Maybe HOS doesn’t click with his teammates for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you stood out at schools level and look poor when surrounded by internationals and multiple European cup winners, but problem is probably not with the latter.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If you stood out at schools level and look poor when surrounded by internationals and multiple European cup winners, but problem is probably not with the latter.

And then what metric do we measure players by at schools level. Maybe players have passed him out. Maybe he hasn’t adapted to the new environment. Maybe he doesn’t gel with the new personalities and skill sets around him. It doesn’t make him a bad or incapable player.

And then what metric do we measure players by at schools level. Maybe players have passed him out. Maybe he hasn’t adapted to the new environment. Maybe he doesn’t gel with the new personalities and skill sets around him. It doesn’t make him a bad or incapable player.

Maybe being a double cup winner at schools level means absolutely nothing when it comes to the professional game??

He plays poorly, which is all that really matters.

Maybe being a double cup winner at schools level means absolutely nothing when it comes to the professional game??

He plays poorly, which is all that really matters.

Of what you’ve seen of him. He’s a good player - maybe scrum half isn’t his position. Maybe he’s switched off. Reserve your criticism for deserved failures. Mistakes or poor performance in a few games are not something deserving of complete rejection

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"HOS might not be good enough but he went to the right school."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

"HOS might not be good enough but he went to the right school."

No thomond, it's not that he's not good enough, he probably just switched off or doesn't get along with his teammates enough.

he probably just switched off or doesn't get along with his teammates enough.

If that is his excuse for playing so poorly then he is, in fact, not a good enough player for professional rugby.

His performances at schools level are just wildly, completely and utterly irrelevant. They mean nothing.

If that is his excuse for playing so poorly then he is, in fact, not a good enough player for professional rugby.

His performances at schools level are just wildly, completely and utterly irrelevant. They mean nothing.

No you're clearly misunderstanding Podge, his performances at 15 when he was playing with other kids in school and not senior rugby clearly mean he's simply choosing not to play well.

• Advertisement

Ok, I've clearly missed some kind of joke...

Edit: never mind, somehow misread the above as coming from the same poster :pac:

It’s relevant because he excelled against his peers. That might not always be the case but at at some point in time it was the case. So he’s not a poor player always, just now he is substandard to his peers.

It’s relevant because he excelled against his peers. That might not always be the case but at at some point in time it was the case. So he’s not a poor player always, just now he is substandard to his peers.

If mental gymnastics was an olympics sport you'd get a 10 from me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Of what you’ve seen of him. He’s a good player - maybe scrum half isn’t his position. Maybe he’s switched off. Reserve your criticism for deserved failures. Mistakes or poor performance in a few games are not something deserving of complete rejection

No one has said he’s a failure. No one has said he deserves complete rejection. People have said he’s played poorly. Which he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

He’s not cut out for rugby in the frame of mind he is in. Remember he is a double cup winner at schools level and excels when surrounded with familiar players who he trusts around him. Hawkshaw hasn’t stood either and he stood out at schools level. It’s partially about mindset and partially about adapting to the people you are surrounded with. Maybe HOS doesn’t click with his teammates for whatever reason.

He has exceptional school pedigree. Jct as a second year, made a final. Jct as third year made a final. Sct as 4th/5th/6th year made finals all three times. Doesn't get much better than that
    Think the moving between 9/15 during this time didn't help him
    Also shows schools rugby isn't a definite marker of potential to make it in the leinster system.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Hawkshaw has stood out to be fair he had a few good cameos earlier on in the season scoring a good try and a few rips I wouldn’t write him off yet. He seems to have good leg drive. Think he needs to focus on centre the only reason he played 10 against Munster was because we literally had no out half’s left. I’d like to see more of him at centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree re. Hawkshaw. I think he could be a utility player. He could be a good center and possibly a fb? I wouldn't write him off yet. Look at the turmoil the injuries have caused! He may become a valuable depth player.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Is there a full list of unavailable players anywhere?

I'm on virgin, anyway for me to get BT Sport for tomorrow - is there an online version available in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm on virgin, anyway for me to get BT Sport for tomorrow - is there an online version available in Ireland?

Can get it on Now TV

Advertisement