Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sheepysheep

.ak wrote: »
    There's a title thread poll there for ye now... Who said we're not efficient?

Too late for a suggestion?

Penny wise, pounding teams foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So, team for Ospreys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Buer wrote: »
    The more I watch Cooney and Carty, the more convinced I am that many who are advocating for their involvement aren't actually watching them.

It's 6 nations time. People haven't watched rugby since autumn offering opinions.

Conway been very poor in his two games for munster and people want him in based on autumn form. (When he was excellent)

Avoid the 42 comments section...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dubinusa wrote: »
    So, team for Ospreys?

Some combination of the barely 23 players we have that aren't crocked!

We're likely not going to get many players made available to us for the final, probably Ross Byrne, Jack Conan, maybe Larmour if he doesn't get much game time against England.

So there's going to have to be some rotation because we're really running thin on the ground. I'd say Corkery will get another shot, as will Osborne and Hugh O'Sullivan might get a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Really like the look of Jamie Osborne. Showed some good skills in drawing a defender in and making him commit, before passing to Kearney for his try. He's also very big which is something we don't normally have in our outside backs.

Anyone know when Tommy O'Brien is due back? He's a player I thought would be the next to break through to the Champions Cup squad. Injury has unfortunately derailed his season.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Really like the look of Jamie Osborne. Showed some good skills in drawing a defender in and making him commit, before passing to Kearney for his try. He's also very big which is something we don't normally have in our outside backs.

Anyone know when Tommy O'Brien is due back? He's a player I thought would be the next to break through to the Champions Cup squad. Injury has unfortunately derailed his season.

He was due back after the Glasgow game I think but then did his hamstring and there's been no update since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The target is on Lowe back. Any chance the Irish management would release him back to Leinster?

sebdavis wrote: »
    The target is on Lowe back. Any chance the Irish management would release him back to Leinster?

Nah he's played in every game so far in the tournament, he'll be under the rest period even if he doesn't play this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No, I highly doubt it. They've shown recently with Billy Burns that they stick with and work with players. They've also spent far too long on Lowe to unceremoniously dump him after a couple of poor defensive decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of the Guinness PRO14 game against Ospreys in the RDS Arena this Friday (kick-off: 8.15pm – live on Eir Sport).

There is positive news on Ciarán Frawley who is due to train this week after recovering from a shoulder injury.

A number of other players though require further assessment this week before a final call will be made on their involvement in the game on Friday.

Seán Cronin picked up a back injury and was removed from the matchday squad to face Ulster Rugby a few weeks ago but he took a limited part in training last week and will again look to increase his involvement this week.

Vakh Abdaladze will also again look to increase his involvement in team training this week as he continues to recover from a long-standing back injury.

From the game at the weekend against Zebre, Luke McGrath was withdrawn for a Head Injury Assessment and will follow the Graduated Return to Play Protocols as a result.

Unfortunately, both Cian Kelleher and Jimmy O’Brien will definitely be unavailable this week as both picked up minor hamstring injuries on Friday evening.

Cullen also confirmed that David Hawkshaw picked up an ankle injury in the win against Glasgow Warriors and had a procedure last week. He will be unavailable for a number of weeks as a result.

No New Injury Update – Unavailable for Selection:

Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Adam Byrne (quad), Caelan Doris (concussive symptoms), Dan Leavy (knee), Conor O’Brien (knee) and Max Deegan (knee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Are there any backs left?

Frawley comes back, and we lose Kelleher, Hawkshaw and J O'Brien.

And Luke McGrath potentially.

9. HOS
    10. Byrne
    11. Kearney
    12. Frawley
    13. ROL
    14. Osborne?
    15. MOR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Pretty much guarantees a 6-2 split this weekend then ha.

I doubt they'll risk Luke even if he comes through the RTP with such an important block of games coming up.

I wonder are any of Smith, Silvester or Turner recovered as none of them have been seen in a few months

Smith was training last week a bit so must be close.

Chris Cosgrave was 24th man with squad.

It's a pity I haven't got to play Junior Rugby in a year now.

I wouldn't be too far off a call up at this stage

bayern wrote: »
    9. HOS
    10. Byrne
    11. Kearney
    12. Frawley
    13. ROL
    14. Osborne?
    15. MOR

Could see Osborne go to 13 as that's where he's played in senior games so far I think, and ROL to 14. Although it's probably a safer bet to have him out on the wing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No, I highly doubt it. They've shown recently with Billy Burns that they stick with and work with players. They've also spent far too long on Lowe to unceremoniously dump him after a couple of poor defensive decisions.

If they don't take him back aren't they effectively dumping Stockdale instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan and Ringrose have been ruled out of the England game. We could be without both for the Pro 14 final and the Champions Cup QF.

Ryan and Ringrose have been ruled out of the England game. We could be without both for the Pro 14 final and the Champions Cup QF.

With the proximity of Ryans concussions they're obviously taking no chances this weekend. But with this extra week to recover I wonder do Leinster have an eye of including him in the final?

Ringroses injury is a nightmare. Ankle injuries are rarely a 1 week affair.

Hopefully we see him back soon

We were more than likely not getting either back for the pro14 anyways, but the champions cup qf will be a huge blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Tbh I think we're ok without Ringrose, Henshaw moves out one and Frawley/RB/ROL slots into 12 as has happened before.

Ryan is a big blow. Baird will start I guess with Fardy or Toner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If Ryan is only a HIA then I'd be optimistic that he'd be back for both matches and certainly Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If Ryan is only a HIA then I'd be optimistic that he'd be back for both matches and certainly Europe.

Wasn't he concussed at the start of the tournament too? Two concussions in that short a time span isn't good.

If they don't take him back aren't they effectively dumping Stockdale instead?

I don't think so. They haven't brought Stockdale in to date when they could have.

I don't think dropping Lowe is going to help him improve and at this stage of the championship, there's little to lose with keeping faith and letting him show what he can do (as much as I'd like to see him help at the league run). So I don't see him being released.

I really hope Ross Byrne is released for the Leinster games. Hard to see how he's benefitting being Ireland's #3 right now if he can't get out to play for Leinster and when he does he's been playing 12 or 13. He's only had 120 minutes this year at 10.

I don't think so. They haven't brought Stockdale in to date when they could have.

I don't think dropping Lowe is going to help him improve and at this stage of the championship, there's little to lose with keeping faith and letting him show what he can do (as much as I'd like to see him help at the league run). So I don't see him being released.

I really hope Ross Byrne is released for the Leinster games. Hard to see how he's benefitting being Ireland's #3 right now if he can't get out to play for Leinster and when he does he's been playing 12 or 13. He's only had 120 minutes this year at 10.

Stockdale was called up to the squad last week.

With the throw out on the full towards end of Scotland game I think they would be better to give him a rest for the England game.

Stockdale was called up to the squad last week.

With the throw out on the full towards end of Scotland game I think they would be better to give him a rest for the England game.

I meant called into the matchday squad.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just expect Farrell to stick with him in some capacity.

So to keep this Leinster related, I can't see him back for the Pro14 games

I meant called into the matchday squad.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just expect Farrell to stick with him in some capacity.

So to keep this Leinster related, I can't see him back for the Pro14 games

Due to the short turn around I would expect some players will be rested, Lowe could be one. Which would mean if not in match day squad he could be ready for the Pro14 final. Wishful thinking maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Tbh I think we're ok without Ringrose, Henshaw moves out one and Frawley/RB/ROL slots into 12 as has happened before.

Ryan is a big blow. Baird will start I guess with Fardy or Toner.

Forwards we have, backs is where we’re tight for players over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So Ospreys....we're probably looking good at something like:

Dooley Sheehan Clarkson
    Dunne Molony
    Murphy Ruddock Penny

Osbourne HByrne
    Frawley ROL
    Kearney O'Reilly Osborne

Tracy, Hanan, Bent, Toner, Fardy, Soroka, HOS, Corkery

I'm assuming VDF will be back up to the Irish squad with Beirne moving to lock and POM coming back into the 23. We can't afford any more injuries in the backs. It's a f-ing joke at this stage. Our injury list now is:

Milne, Cronin, Abdaladze, Ryan, Leavy, Deegan, Doris, McGrath, Hawkshaw, Ringrose, TOB, JOB, COB, A Byrne, Kelleher & who knows how many other Academy guys at this stage.

Add that to the guys with Ireland:
    Healy, E Byrne, Kelleher, Furlong, Porter, Baird, Connors, VDF, Conan, JGP, Sexton, R Byrne, Henshaw, Larmour, Keenan & Lowe

Thats 31 players not including guys like Silvester or Turner who might be injured and in line to make an appearance. That's insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Due to the short turn around I would expect some players will be rested, Lowe could be one. Which would mean if not in match day squad he could be ready for the Pro14 final. Wishful thinking maybe

I don't wish to drag this off topic, but if Lowe doesn't make the 15 or 23 for Ireland next week, I think it's extremely generous to think it's because he's being rested.

Advertisement