Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I don't think this is true but I heard a rumour that Leinster are waiting to see what happens with the Melbourne Rebels financial situation. They are potentially going into administration which for any club is terrible. If it were to occur, Leinster are planning on swooping in for Tighthead Taniela Tupou. If true, that would be a monstrous signing for Leinster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They've already gone into voluntary administration.

ARU will finance them to compete this season in SR, due to TV commitments, but won't guarantee anything after that.

TT would be an absolutely mammoth signing!

I hope it is true! but I have my doubts. A signing of that calibre would be huge but does it create a headache for Leinster?

With Furlong and Tupou both considered to be amongst the best tighthead props in the world, who would start?

If it was Tupou, would Furlong be ok with that? and visa versa? Would the IRFU block the signing as they believe it might stop the likes of Tom Clarkson and Rory McGuire developing?

If like the Snyman deal, it was a one year (Two at best) deal, then maybe it can be justified but it feels like the IRFU are really keeping a close eye on Leinster and their dealings in the market after Snyman.

I would have called BS on the rumour right away but Leinster making the call about TOT has me curious with what Leinster are up to in the market at tighthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Yeah thats not happening.

I agree with you actually, Very low likelihood it will happen, was just passing on a rumour I heard that I found interesting.

• Advertisement

• I'd agree with your last line. If Leinster are sounding out IQ TH props, it may be a case that they have not received any dispensation to sign an NIQ in that position

Potentially. The way I read into Tom O'Toole talks was that Ulster were having some financial hardships and Leinster pounced on the chance to bag an IQ tighthead prop who is an Irish International. To be fair, if Ulster had to shed some players, I think the IRFU would have been perfectly fine with O'Toole to Leinster instead of losing him abroad, but obviously he is key to Ulster's long term plans and is probably untouchable.

Leinster clearly want a starting calibre tighthead. I'm not saying that Furlong is going anywhere, I'm just saying that they know he isn't a play every match player and they want a 1B to Furlong's 1A. O'Toole would have fit that role perfectly.

I can't see the IRFU stopping Leinster from signing NIQ players, unless they completely block the route for a high potential player from claiming a Leinster jersey. Even Snyman doesn't block the route of any player next year He is playing the Jenkins role. 1st Lock off the bench, which suits Leinster and Snyman down to the ground because that is when he is most impactful.

They need a tighthead and if they lose Frawley to Ulster, they will need a Utility back capable of playing all across the back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would expect that Leinster were approaching TOT regardless of whether they had approval for a NIQ or not.

He's a good player, only up the road and I wouldn't expect his salary to differ from Ala'alatoa's much. Perhaps even less. He's not from Ulster so potentially doesn't have such a close link to the area so would be seen as someone that could be persuaded to relocate.

I'm happy that he turned it down though. Ulster have enough problems.

I agree with you. I wouldn't have liked to see TOT come down to Leinster if it meant Ulster got significantly weaker at the position. There seems to be a narrative that Leinster fans just want all the other provinces good players. I think most Leinster fans want all the provinces to do well, just not better than Leinster.

I would love to see who is on Leinster's shortlist to replace Ala'alatoa. It is literally the only position that worries me next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Whatever about Ulster's financial situation, they needed to keep O'Toole. I would love him at Leinster but, weakening Ulster is not ideal. I still think we will sign a saffer. Maybe not a star player but someone who can offer something similar to what Ala'alatoa has done.

• Advertisement

It's shocking how far Australian rugby has fallen. The game really has lost ground and you'd wonder about the other sides.

Joe Schmidt hopefully turns Oz rugby around. Among the squad, there may be a few NIQ's worth bringing to the provinces.

Great efforts by our lads today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Very hard to not get excited about McCarthy's potential. Been excellent all season and this is just a continuation on that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So hard to believe he wasn't in the 23 for the Euro final.

McCarthy was phenomenal last nite.

James Ryan, Joe McCarthy and RG Snyman are Leinster's match day 23 lock trio, let that sink in. My God.

Imagine Molony is a 4th choice!

Last nite must be a sickener for Leo. Imagine how he must be kicking himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Advertisement

The u20's is on florugby!!!!

Feckin Yesssss

I'm dying to see Sparrow. Have only see him play a couple of times!! Hope Ireland can win. Fingers 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He'd been injured since January. In fact he'd be injured most of the season. He had played something like 30 mins of rugby between the injury in Jan and the Euro final.

Jack Murphy looking very good. Coffee did well also!

Very impressive play by our lads. DeKlerk did some good stuff along with Gavin. What an experience for the 18 year olds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good experience but they need more of it to develop. Raffy, the French 10 has played 15 pro games already this season for example.

The B&I league was a good way to get players some minutes and experience.

• Advertisement

Some tidy looking pups playing u20. Very impressive lads.

Advertisement