Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Frawley is the one where a move makes sense IF he wants to be a ten full time. I feel like Harry is close enough to stay although I would really like to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think someone will leave for playing time elsewhere. It's not only 10's. There's a good chance that some members of the pack may look to move elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

of course there is players leave every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I can see Leinster fighting tooth and nail to try and keep Frawley. If he was to leave, Leinster all of a sudden become a bit light at centre, especially if Ngatai leaves too. In an ideal world they would keep both Harry Byrne and Ciaran Frawley.

The "IF he wants" here is the key point. There's been so much speculation about who will be moved when the real question is who wants to move? Either Harry or Frawley would be a nailed on starter at Ulster without Burns. Tector would be guaranteed time on the pitch of he moved.

I support Connacht so I know a thing or ten about player movement. The real successes are players who chose to move for the right reasons at the correct point in their career.

• Advertisement

If Ngati leaves, Frawley certainly plays more at 12. He gets into the 23 and plays the bigger matches. If he does leave he probably backs himself to nail down a 10 jersey. His best option is Ulster, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He definitely is a very valuable player especially in his versatility.

Frawley and JOB are key due to versatility. They cover several positions with a high standard. I hope to retain Frawley and I think his future is better served with Leinster. At the end of the day, it's his decision.

With the rumors of Burns to Munster, I wonder if they approached Frawley.

With Benetton up next week, we should have some injured players back. I hope Ross is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I think Ulster will approach Frawley but I can see Leo and Nienaber convincing him how important he is to Leinster moving forward. I always thought that Harry Byrne is exactly what Ulster have needed for years. Harry and Nathan Doak have the making of a stellar 9/10 partnership. Harry would offer them the stability across the board that they have needed.

Frawley is that perfect utility player in a Jacques Nienaber team that brings the team to another level. You are spot on about Jimmy O'Brien too. They are two members of the team that are essential to a Leinster team moving forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Never mind 12, if Frawley leave they have a huge gap at 15 behind Keenan who is not available most of the season.

As I said yesterday the only reason for Frawley to leave is if he really wants to play 10 and no other position. He is already getting into the Leinster team and the Ireland squad based on his performances.

If he wasn't in the Ireland squad you might say he will move to stake a claim

Would Rob Russell be viable as a full back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Huge gap? JOB and Larmour have both played there, and Osborne would be a very good break-glass 5th choice option.

Yes, you're taking them away from the wing spot, but I think they'd likely sign someone anyways, especially if Ngatai leaves; wing or fb would be a very viable option for a signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I wouldn’t be surprised if McErlean gets game time at 15 soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

nah he is back playing, came off the bench for Terenure recently

hoping to see a lot of leinster players playing AIL this weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Cosgrave playing AIL these days? If so, how is he getting on?

he got injured at christmas playing for leinster dev and is out for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If Ireland Persist with 6/2 people are going to have far fewer problems with being seen as a utility back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Agree it's not a huge gap, but I don't want to see Larmour in the 15 shirt again. He just can't hack it under the high ball. Everything else in his game is at least serviceable, but that's one area of massive weakness and very important for the 15 position. It's obviously pretty important for the 14 position too, but that's what has cost him an Ireland place, he'll probably always be good enough for 14 at provincial level.

I think the management see Larmour as the break glass option and Osbourne is one step higher on the 15 depth chart.

It's bizarre that Larmour is so poor under the high ball. It must be a mental block. Otherwise, he's quality.

JOB is likely Keenans back up. Cosgrave hasn't played for the seniors for a long time and he's currently out injured. He's also a year 3, so he hasn't taken his few opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No less weird than McGrath not been able to pass consistently, or Porter's atrocious scrum technique. Always seems so bizarre that pro players fail to address such fundamental aspects of their position

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Yeah I'm sure those players purposefully ignore weaknesses in their game because they really, really enjoy being bad professionals.

Sarcasm aside, the fact that they and the team have failed to address these deficiencies is pretty damning. Leinster have possibly the most professional set up in the game, it's frankly shocking that Porter in particular is still so poor at scrummaging.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But he isn't though..

The general consensus from Front row experts is that Porter is being wrongly penalised in a high proportion of cases.

BJ Botha discussed the French game earlier this week and Alex Corbisiero gave a detailed review of the NZ World Cup game as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah, you dont get 60 tests caps as a loosehead when you are "so poor at scrummaging"

John Hayes career might stand in opposition to that statement. I would agree that Porter has suffered from some negative perceptions lately, but the fact is that's not without reason.

He has had the same issues since he swapped across. His bind is too short, and he tends to drop his left shoulder and turn it in. His angle is kicked out, and while I'd suggest every LHs goal is to try and get away with boring in, he's too unsubtle about it. He leaves his hooker exposed, which often allows the opposition to isolate and attack him.

He's been blown up enough times by refs at this stage that it ought to have been addressed by his coaches. Healy is a far superior scrummager, even in the twilight of his career.

• Advertisement

Advertisement