Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I'd honestly be surprised if either left. Cullen is really really good at getting guys to stay.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

One of Byrne, Boyle or Milne will surely go, with Paddy McCarthy presumably playing LH for the near future. Given Boyle's age and his minutes this year, and Milne's injury profile I'd say it's between EB and MM to move away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Boyle leaving would be bad for Leinster. There were rumors that he'd signed a contract before xmass. I'd put McCarthy on a development contract to avoid the Sharks from circling.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Ed Byrne is fairly close to a move to Ulster I heard to replace Eric O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

That makes no sense to me.

Sure there are 2 years between them but Byrne is a better prop (but not significantly so) and with more Irish caps to his name would probably cost a similar if not more of a wedge than EOS.

I had heard EOS was a budget concern in which case they're not solving it with bringing in Byrne.

Now if Byrne wants more first level rugby than perhaps thats a different case but he's hardly going to be getting European knock out minutes up at Ulster for a few seasons by all accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

O'Sullivan will struggle to get signed in Ireland, imo. He's probably looking overseas for a potential team. It's a shame he didn't kick on. I can't see the sense of Ulster signing Byrne? At 30 years old he's probably not cheap.

I think Tector will be going to Ulster, if they are not getting HB or Frawley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah we have reached the point where some people absolutely have to leave. I don't even think keeping Byrne, Boyle and Milne in any way benefits Leinster - not like it is a trio of superstars.

I'd say it's a budget concern if they're paying him and he's not starting or even playing that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Who's got the higher ceiling Boyle or PMc?

Hard to say. Either of them could be a 50 cap international or be forgotten about in 3 years. Paddy seems to have that ludicrous McCarthy strength but Boyle has shades of a young Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone remember that Healy try ( possibly brought back for foot in touch but so long ago I can't remember) up in Glasgow is his first season?

Scrum cap on and serious gas up the left wing. Christ I'm old.

Boyle could be a superstar of those three. McCarthy has higher ceiling than that even but he has a weird body for a prop.

Edit: boyle would be the best young player that leinster have lost since carbery probably, which makes it feel pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Will be interesting to see if they can bulk McCarthy up enough, he didn't look like a prop at 20s level. Looked a brilliant rugby player though

I can say with near certainty Boyle or McCarthy aren't going anywhere. Milne maybe but even I don't think he goes. All the looseheads are waiting on what happens with Healy before they announce a move. If he announces his retirement, you can expect Milne to probably stay, if he says one more year which it looks like will be the case, Milne will make the move to Munster and Ed Byrne probably makes his move to Ulster. Leinster know what they have in Boyle and McCarthy and won't allow them to leave.

I know online stats are notoriously unreliable but I see him listed at 1m98 for 119kg. Sounds more like Joe's size.

With him and Barron in the front row we're 2/3rds of the way to the most unusual looking trio in club rugby.

Paddy McCarthy is about 6'3, 115kg.

Sounds about right for a young loosehead. He just has an unusual build.

Does anyone find it a bit odd that Leinster haven't announced a replacement for Michael Ala'alatoa yet? They are usually fairly on the ball and looking to get signings done early in the season so the focus can be on the business end of the season. The fact that they enquired about getting Tom O'Toole means that they are on the hunt for someone currently and are in the middle of searching. Asking about Tom O'Toole also shows they want a borderline starter at the position to take the weight off Furlong's shoulders too, so I wouldn't be shocked if it is a relatively big signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭durthacht

Does anyone find it a bit odd that Leinster haven't announced a replacement for Michael Ala'alatoa yet?

I was thinking that myself on the commute to work this morning. Hopefully it will be soon enough as Clarkson & McGuire will need some support next year given Furlong's increasing absence.

• Advertisement

I honestly think they are potentially looking to move Furlong to the Healy role on the bench. Having Healy off the bench the last number of seasons since Porters emergence has been so valuable to Leinster. I think Leinster and Ireland both understand the Furlong needs a reduced role for club and country and with Bealham, O'Toole and Jager, they can lighten the load for Ireland. With Leinster, they currently don't have that luxury.

The only reason why I think they haven't pulled the trigger is that they might be waiting to see what happens with the Rebels in Australia and see if they can land Taniela Tupou. Obviously that is a dream signing and therefore unlikely but I didn't think they would sign Snyman and they did, so here's hoping!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bealham is older than Furlong, so his pasture time is coming quicker than tadghs.

I can't see the irfu planning on Furlongs reduced role and envisaging bealhams role increasing. Both will be the main stay until the next RWC, at which point hopefully both Jager and TOT will have about 30 caps between them.

I still think TOT is a viable option for Leinster, should his head be turned. Ala'alatoa has appeared in almost 60 Leinster games in 2 1/2 seasons, starting almost 60% of games. That level of game time could be attractive to many top level THs, especially in view of Furlong being even minded as he gets older.

Tupou would be an incredible signing. I can imagine his relationship with ARU is very frayed after the whole goings on with the rebels, and I can see him saying f-u I'm going for a pay day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Furlong may require a reduced role going forward, but currently he's playing his best rugby in a few years. Been very impressive this Six Nations. We may never see the side stepping, skip passing tight head he was at his peak, but he's carrying and hitting very hard.

When I said reduced role I didn't mean in terms of age I meant in terms of reduced workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Furlong is going to end up playing a similar role to what Sexton done for the last few years, he will play Ireland games, hopefully the majority when fit, the European games and maybe the odd URC if he needs to get game fitness]

Apart from that I don't expect to see him playing for Leinster at all.

In reality if he can get enough match fitness in Europe he won't play a URC game.

he has been playing that role for the most part for a few years.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If Ulster lose McCloskey and spend actual money on ed byrne, i'll be pretty unhappy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Scrummaging Twitter would explode if Tupou and Porter played for the same team

Advertisement