Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That does not look great now does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

THats not the initial point of contact though. KLA had braced outwards, contact was made on upper arm/shoulder before riding up

Imo that shouldn't really matter. It's high contact, KLA clearly could have suffered an injury, don't think there could have been complaints if he'd been sent off. It's very dangerous no matter what the first contact was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The issue is that it’s still outcome dependent which is what it’s not meant to be. If Arendse had been stretchered off, you suspect it would have been given as a red.

On another note how good is Arendse? Incredibly powerful and for his size (a la Kolbe and Dupont). Electric and makes things happen. He bumped Lowe a few times which is no mean feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭StormForce13

That's effectively what TMO Whitehouse said. He added that the two heads had "just kissed" each other, which I enjoyed! He must be a snooker fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Last night's win seems even more impressive now I've had the chance to look back on the game. Leinster gave the Bulls an awful time at the ruck. Completely flooded the area and made it so hard to get fast ball to their backs. Arendse had a great game, but they were more excellent individual moments he created rather than the team. They just couldn't gain any sort of attacking platform. They're a side that wants to soften you up then build a lead. But they couldn't win that battle.

Leinster's defence in their 22 was so good as well. The Bulls have a strong set piece and big forwards. They would have backed themselves to run through the Leinster pack, but were rebuffed so often. The defensive line was up so fast that they never got a sense of momentum.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I wonder how we would have coped with Luke McGrath’s red card. Bench was marvellous as expected, huge impact from Doris, Gibbo, Sheehan. Larmour’s back to his best form again, he was confident and assertive yesterday, backed his pace, really good to see. Harry Byrne had some slick handling I thought. Osbourne, Henshaw, VDF, Baird were all impervious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rumor that Boyle is off to Munster. On Leinster fans. Awful news if true.

That's not what was said at all. Cian Tracey reported that Jack Boyle was linked with a move to an unspecified side. A poster then speculated it was Munster. There's no confirmation when this was either. Last season we know Exeter Chiefs wanted him for instance. Could easily be a reference to that.

Wouldn't surprise me if Munster wanted Boyle though. He's a big prospect, but one that imo is best suited at Leinster. Porter is clear first choice, but Healy doesn't have long left as a pro. He'll be competing for replacement loosehead in the short term and first choice in the medium term. Leinster's better track record in player development and pathway to the Ireland squad will hopefully swing things.

Hopefully he stays put. It's behind a pay wall.

• Advertisement

Watched the second half again and that was a serious performance. Total dominance against a good side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It was and I feel JGP was the catalyst for the increase in intensity.

Stormers not giving you much confidence that they can beat La Rochelle next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Malherbe returning is a boost for them but Libbok really needs to sort out his kicking

The win last night was huge in the context of the league. We're now 9 points ahead of the Bulls but four of their final five games at home. They could easily win all 4 and some with bonus points as well.

Leinster have a tough run in too with the South Africa tour, an away trip to Belfast and a game against Connacht. At least three wins is required to finish top. We need to beat the Lions away to give ourselves the best chance possible. Which won't be easy as we don't send our strongest squad to SA.

Of course, we might if we lose to Leicester or in the QF the proceeding week. But let's not go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bulls v munster and Glasgow are games that could be tight ones. They might not win with TBP.

Very good effort. Was impressed by the physicality. Baird stepped up and I thought played a blinder. At this stage of his career, it's surprising that Leinster passed on Russell when he was 20.

Harry to start against Leicester? He was very impressive I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What now for Deegan? If he gets left out of the 23 for the business end of the season, he'd be mad to stay in Leinster. He's too good to be left out, and would walk into pretty much any other teams starting 23 imo.

Is he due for a contract? I'd hate to see him leave. I would not begrudge him a chance to make money. A team in France? I can't see Deegan going to Connacht, it's a mess out there and he's not going to make a difference. If anything, his performance could suffer. Ulster would be a good bet! But then he hampers development of lads like McNabney . Munster don't need him. They are loaded in the back row.

• Advertisement

Jackman on comms said Molony signed for 3 years at Bath! I hope it goes well for him. Surprised that Bath haven't announced it yet.

There's no real "if" about it, he's not going to get ahead of any of Doris, VdF, Baird or Conan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭randomname2005

No, but looking at how quickly things change (Dan Leavy retired, Will Connors out injured for a while) it wouldn't take much to find himself in the squad for a European cup knockout game, Given the situation in other provinces, staying in Leinster might be his best shot. For Irish caps, moving elsewhere would give him more exposure but potentially with a less stable environment (coaching change at Ulster, and current results and performance at Connacht not looking like they are going to be developing well, and Munster have a good set of back row players and might not get much more game time).

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/2024/04/01/injury-update-issued-ahead-of-leicester-tigers-clash/

Worst case scenario here isn't great. Henshaw could well be out now too. Sounds like a few guys could be back for the later part of the season though.

Also 30k tickets sold for Leicester, it's a decent number but the stadium looks terrible half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Sounds like most on that update are touch and go or at least somewhat close to a return. I think there is enough in the team to beat Leicester at home without anyone on the list tbh. Would give all an extra week at try get them back for Stormers/LAR.

A quarter against Stormers/LAR is a big ask without Porter, Keenan, Ringrose & Henshaw from starting 15 and basically all 3 back subs in McGrath, Frawley and JOB.

For the Leicester game we could make do without all those players bar Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

In fairness, it was injury that meant Conan and Doris got in ahead of him originally iirc. Not unreasonable to think had he had better luck with that, he'd have been the incumbent in the back row for the last few years. There's very little between them, bar experience imo

Glad to see that Ngatai is close to a return. Brilliant player that has only shown glimpses of his talent due to injury. He'll be invaluable for the South African tour.

Seems like a few players on the 'maybe' list are taking part in full training so we might have a couple back for Leicester.

Post edited by Clegg on

I'm as nervous as an altar boy at a bishops convention with all of these injuries. Praying for a Stormers win as I can't see us beating ROG'S lads with all of our walking wounded. Thats hoping we get by Tigers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Leicester are 7th in the league, I'd be shocked if they gave us a decent match at home.

Advertisement