Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

Job done but will really need to up our game next week

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Rugbyf565

it’ll be a disgrace if Conan doesn’t start against La Rochelle at this stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bernard Jackman saying he's heard Ringrose will be unavailable for the La Rochelle game.

That's a blow, but it's a bit of a consolation that Osborne has played so well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The ability of the Leinster back 5 to side step is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Osborne should be penalised for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That was pretty embarrassing from Osbourne. Rusty enough performance but will focus minds ahead of the big one next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Osborne in particular is superb at getting a pass off on the gain line.

First half was decent, but the second was poor. That was a big step down from the performance against Bulls last weekend. We'll need to be a lot better against La Rochelle.

Leicester aren't renowned for their attacking play, but I think they got around our rush defence far too easily. Lots of poorly executed kicks and bad knock ons that put us under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Going to travel up from Sligo to watch Leinster next week if I can get tickets. When and where they going in sale. This is from a connacht fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

La Rochelle will be licking their lips.
    If Leinster can't secure their ball at set piece they will get ground into the dirt.

Hope Harry and Jenkins start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

I can’t see this Leinster team based on tonight having any hope next week.

Without James Ryan there is no chance of winning next week.

It’s heartbreaking but true. Always next year I suppose.

Sloppy performance but on the plus side we scored some excellent tries. Keenan looked sharp, as did JGP and Larmour. Henshaw and Osborne look like they're on the same wavelength. Conan was excellent off the bench.

Excited to face LAR again but we need to be much better. Been nothing in the last 3 games against them. Hopefully we can come out on the right side like we did in the group. Strong referee needed. Much will be made of our discipline tonight but LAR are no angels in that regard either and rely heavily on it to stop any attacking momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I think we took off a lot of front line players once the game was in the bag.. that lead to a lack of cohesion..

The Stomers stretched LAR by keeping the ball alive, we will need to do something similar.

We have a good bench and I thought they made a positive impact at the scrum. Conan and Jenkins also carried well.

But the lineout is a big issue. There were at least two instances of miscommunication between the caller and the hooker which led to overthrows. La Rochelle don't have a brilliant defensive lineout so we might get away with it if we keep things simple. But I'm pretty worried about that aspect of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Leinster played down a bit to their opponents, the type of performance you expect the weekend before a big knockout game.

Impossible for them knowing LAR were on the horizon in advance to not impact the performance.

They'll need to be better next week and they'll know it. That level of competition and physicality will do them good - it was solid but not too attritional, like the Stormers were.

Fingers crossed no major injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Did you see LAR play earlier?

If you're wanting to look purely based on the two games today I'd be much more comfortable being in the Leinster camp.

Stormers were ravaged by injuries during the match and LAR needed them to give away a huge number of dumb penalties and miss a kick to avoid being dumped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

Yeah I did see it. I know Leinster beat them in the group but knock out rugby is different. LAR seem to get light reffing and all the luck. They got it today and previously so that’s what leads me to say Leinster don’t have a hope.
    I’ll gladly eat my hat if wrong.

Jackman highlighting the problems in defence. The rush only works when everyone picks up their correct marker. On multiple occasions Larmour was caught too narrow and was looking to make the hit that Henshaw had covered.

I'd be half tempted to start Rob Russell against La Rochelle. He's very fast off the mark and can get in the face of the opposition quickly.

Porter wasn't injured when he went off which is a boost.

But RTE intimating that Keenan and McCarthy are injury doubts for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Rugbyf565

RTE just mentioned O’Gara is doing a training camp in Cork next week for LAR. Does anyone else find it very strange that Munster fans would willingly cheer on a foreign team against an Irish team in a quarter final?

La Rochelle setting up camp in Cork next week apparently. Hopefully the time spent in that heap will handicap them sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Thought Pollard was good tonight. Wouldn’t happen but would love if Leinster went after him. H Byrne and Prendergast would learn a tonne off him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

According to the screens in the ground after the game they go on public sale on Leinster Rugby website on Monday

Think we might go with a 6-2 split for next week. I assume Connors will start to try and recreate his tackling masterclass from last December. The extra forward lets us bring VDF and Conan on for impact too.

Maybe even select Milne ahead of Healy for maximum impact in contact. Sacrifices your scrum a bit, but I think we need to take risks to best La Rochelle.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It must be so frustrating being a Leicester supporter and watching your team kick the ball away so much.

They came tonight not to get the crap beaten out of them. And we played into their hands. Especially with a ref that was allergic to rucking.

But jeez kelleher needs to sort himself out. Those darts are a liability at this stage. Wtf are they doing in training with him

Demented Molecast made an interesting point this week on Russell that he refuses to tackle on one shoulder. Haven’t been savvy enough to pick up on that myself yet, but if so, might explain why he hasn’t got a start in a bigger game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Heaslip said that Leinster players won't be thinking about last year’s game against La Rochelle.

Get off the stage!

Bonkers if he said that, they are clearly in our head. Was weird everyone sitting around me at the game were resigned to us loosing to LAR , so I can't imagine what team think. Big week ahead now for coaches.

• Advertisement

Munster fans cheering on LAR is extremely weird, but all it does is highlight their inferiority complex ,its totally bizarre, on another note the Irish media ,especially off the ball will be a total love fest for ROG this week .

Advertisement