Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't see how it lengthened the journey time though.

They had return flights to Paris organised so it was a choice between 2 flights or 3 flights in a week, depending on whether they went home or to Ireland.

Cork is an interesting choice due to the slightly additional travel then if they'd just gone to Dublin but it seems they are going on a media lockdown this week, which will be easier done from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

o suspect there’s a lot of overthinking going on. It makes sense to get all the travel done early in the week and set up camp for the few days. Cork also makes sense it’s outside Leinster but easily accessible to Dublin. Media will try to paint it as mind games but I think it’s just logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think ROG knows his team wasnt in a position in their performances so far this season to win either europe or TOP14.
    I think he is taking drastic action to galvanise his team and get them going in the direction he wants. Its a bit of a hail mary but something that if it works its genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Im sure they had a plan in place

Fly to CDG and then either head to La Rochelle or head to Dublin depending on the results. Correct me if wrong but even if Leicester, LaR would of been at home?

They had flew into SA on the Monday before the game I think so taking a 2 weeks "tour" in middle of season is hardly a huge stress on the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree that getting to Ireland early is logistics but there isnt much logistical benefit to Cork. It is easier to get to Dublin than flying but it isnt a nice short coach trip, like it could be if they based closer to Dublin.

There is zero need for them to set up camp outside of Leinster, they'll hardly have spies or poison their food.

I'd say the most likely main driver is something as straight forward as ROG or his family having relationships with the owners of where they're staying.

It would however be naive to think the idea of mind games isn't on ROG's radar and that it might have played somewhat into the decision, we've seen how much ROG focuses on them. In my opinion overly focuses on that aspect of things but he has the medals so hard to argue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Maybe he's worried nobody in Leinster will make eye contact with them and it'll hurt their feelings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I both wouldn't read too much into it and honestly couldn't care less. I'm sure ROG has his reasons - just going home and tying into the local area outside Leinster would be up his street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yep,that's Dickson all over. He inserts himself in to things and I can't remember what game it was recently, but he really imposed himself as an AR for a seriously curious call. In fact I think there were a couple of games where I really started to notice him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Why aren’t younger players, as opposed to Healy, next in line to sub for Porter? It seems to be a recurring concern in this country. Do we simply not produce a sufficient number of prop-sized people?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For whatever reason there was a stretch of about 5 years where no useful LHPs came through. Milne, Boyle and McCarthy all look like they have the potential to be high level but they simply aren't there yet. Milne through injury and lack of game time, the others because they're babies. And Healy in his 40s will still be better than Ed Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Start Will Connors at 7, Jenkins in for Ross, Milne for Healy.

JVDF and either Conan/Baird on the bench, whichever doesn't start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

yeah I'd actually bring Connors into a 6-2 bench split with Harry or Ross dropping out of 23.

LAR traditionally build momentum in the 2nd half, would love to have Connors coming on fresh at that point to literally chop that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For managing the flow of the game, I'd prefer to see Connors start alongside Baird and Doris with VDF and Conan coming on after 50-55 minutes to bring a real edge to our aggression in carrying and line speed.

The benches are going to be absolutely vital in this game. Losing Ryan cannot be understated. There's no player more important to Leinster in this fixture with the possible exception of JGP owing to the drop off to the next scrum half. But that is offset somewhat by LAR being without an entire front row in Wardi, Bourgarit and Colombe which weakens their bench significantly.

It will be key that Leinster don't retreat into themselves in that 50-70min period and let LAR boss things. That's when they take games by the scruff and own possession and territory particularly when they empty the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's a level of anticipation for this game that I haven't witnessed in a good few years.

Gonna be a big crowd! Hopefully there's decent weather. This may even be a full house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Four wins from four matches with him as ref. Beat Benetton (Jan 2020), Montpellier (Dec 2020) and Connacht (2022) away from home and hammered Toulouse in the semi-final in 2022.

40k is seriously impressive, seems they got the pricing bang on the money.
    On a related note no sign of season ticket renewals they are obviously having to put a lot together on venues etc. I assume the works start as soon as the horse show finishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I have to say that I always fully support all the Provinces in every game irrespective of how it might negatively affect Ulster. It seems to me that doing otherwise would be the mark of a small-minded and intolerant 'fanboy' rather than a supporter of Irish Rugby. Some of the comments seem fuelled with more than a hint of aggression bordering on hate.

Schadenfreude is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, pain and loss of friends.

In the context of aggression, a person feels pleasure when a member of an out-group, such as a rival sports team or political party, suffers a negative event, which solidifies the in-group member’s social identity. If you are a well-balanced and rounded person psychologically you probably don't have a problem with your identity and don't need validation of self by seeing others losing. We do identify with our teams and get rewarded when they win. I would see someone who gets rewarded by seeing rival Irish teams lose to foreign teams as in need of help……😉

It is self-evident that Irish Rugby depends on all 4 being as successful as possible in order to survive financially while competing against the giant rugby economies of England, France and SA. I suppose I also come from a different generation of rugby players and supporters when the rivalry of the game on the field was left behind at the final whistle. It is a bit depressing to read the childish 'hatred' some posters on here display as if it is somehow normal behaviour. I get enormous pleasure out of Munster, Connacht and Leinster stuffing the sh1t out of our rivals. I always want Ulster to succeed but I suppose, being an adult, I don't need to get my jollies out of our brother provinces being defeated. To quote a famous referee, "This is not soccer." Maybe it's becoming more like that. Shame.

• Advertisement

I wasn't really going that direction in terms of supporting other provinces or not. I support all Irish provinces

I was more looking at the URC teams as a total cheering on the other URC teams, plus in this case if Leinster are still in Europe then potentially taking eyes off URC again.

I find the whole Munster/La Rochelle stuff nonsense and have no time for it. If someone wants to do that, then off they go. I did see a Munster fan online claim yesterday this would be their 5th star 😂 at least he is a happy camper

In terms of Ireland, yes we need 4 successful provinces. We need 4 provinces with 4 successful academies and the national team a mix of players from all over Ireland etc etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It would be ROG's 5th star I think? What's the record for a player/coach combined?

RoG is on 4 alright, Leo is on 4 isn't he. Not sure who else

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Pelous maybe?

Just checked on Mark McCall - He has the 3 as coach with Saracens , but had retired before Ulster won in '99.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Cedric Heymans has 4 as a player. Checked on William Servat he has only 3, thought he had 1 as Toulouse forwards coach as well. Looks like it’s a shootout between Leo and O Gara

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Freddie Michalak is down as having 6 - Three with Toulouse and three with Toulon although he didn't play in 2 of the Toulon finals but had played in earlier rounds so got a medal as part of the squad.

Cian Healy on 4 as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Skelton must have at least 3?

Advertisement