Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ribs1234

only so far the siege / the “world is against us “ mentality can be used to motivate any group and LAR have used it for two years. Leinster should win this time.

but one-score games are decided by referee decisions nowadays so nothing is certain. When history is written in rugby there is no room for caveats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This might be me having already emotionally prepared myself in case we lose at the weekend.

I imagine I'd feel incredibly frustrated if we have the likely celebration and back slapping of getting past LAR ('one where it counts') and then fall at the last hurdle, especially with the weeks of buildup and hype to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Leinster were 8 point favourites in the final last year at home. Even if LaR aren't playing well in Top14 they've had Leinsters number. And I don't think Leinster are playing that great either. Ryan and Ringrose are massive losses.

Skelton:

Skelton got an early YC in the game v Stormers and he eventually was the difference in the end.

He's some player. I still believe Leinster would have won at least 2 more European cups if it wasn't for him.

Leinster simply must start Jenkins this time. His only job is to tackle, pull, drag and grab at Skelton for 60-65mins.

The more I think about it the more I think they should go 6-2 this year. Conners, Conan and Frawley on the bench. I don't love it, but they have to do something different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd be shocked if we don't go 6-2, as much as I am not generally a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think its very obvious that JGP is easily your most important player. His compatriot isnt the greatest 10 going so a 9s good performance takes huge pressure off Byrne and also off an inexperienced 12. leinster also play a lot off 9 very succesfully because he has the speed, vision and skills to let that happen.

jgp makes the right calls in attack and blends forwards and backs seamlessly, he does a lot more in defense than someone his size should.

Both attack and defense are excellent because of him and frankly whatever 9 is on the bench is a huge dropoff in quality and ability and means if they have to play significant time byrne has to take more of a play calling role.

I think LAR will target jgp in defense and try and get him involved in a lot of physical work to try and slow him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Possibly. I am not focusing on the league. I'd much rather a 5th star.

What do they suppose breaking the squad will look like? Are they meaning that most players get benched?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Picking Jenkins because of Skelton would be a poor call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I want both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

With the way the fixtures are this year they've no excuse not to go all out for both and win them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Neither team are at the levels they were last year. The majority of the Ireland players are not where they were physically pre world cup.

The closer the game gets, the more confident I get. We really should have beaten them in both finals. We have beaten them away from home this season already and they've had a lot of travelling.

I'd be hesitant going for a 6-2 split. Asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OldRio

Getting Blues’ selection right is key for Leo Cullen and Jacques Nienaber

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/getting-blues-selection-right-is-key-for-leo-cullen-and-jacques-nienaber/a2091434843.html

Ringrose is a massive loss.

The bench will be very important for this one. It always is but its huge considering how well LAR perform later in games.

Like the last few games between the sides this will probably come down to very fine margins, a yellow card, a refs decision or injury.

As a neutral this game is as exciting as wales vs italy in the 6n for potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ex-Leinster lock Jack Dunne leaving exeter and joining scarlets.

following up on my previous post on JGp importance squidge has done a video on his importance and it highlights his impressive traits

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

odds on Latu getting red carded on Saturday???

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

LaR have been given 9 yc's in 5 heino cup games so far. Definitely expect them to concede one or two on Saturday.

• Advertisement

RTE news : Leinster set for Croke Park if they defeat La Rochelle

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2024/0411/1442979-leinster-set-for-croke-park-if-they-defeat-la-rochelle/

As tough as this fixture is, it's really put the onus on Leo to get it right with selection. I'm not too confident, but hopeful. It's these encounters that Ryan is needed. Molony and Jenkins just can't do it over 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

I guess the inference from Jackman's comment is that is will have a bigger morale impact that could undermine this team for once and for all. That is also possible after a sustained period of underachievement, which you could say Leinster is experiencing. Personally I feel like both Leinster and Ireland have remarkable mental fortitude and it has become a truth that they bounce back from defeat very well, while not letting victory go to their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bit of a strange post. Ryan isn't available. McCarthy is obviously going to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

odd there's no team announcement

I'm meaning the the use of the bench and the timing of subs. Does Connors come Into the squad? Does Baird move to 19? Lots of schemes to gauge. I hope it's a winning formula.

Jack Dunne to Scarlets! That is fairly surprising to me. I thought he'd latch on to a province or another English team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'd say the team will be:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Joe McCarthy
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Jamie Osborne
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Jordan Larmour
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. Ronan Kelleher
    17. Cian Healy/Michael Milne
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Jason Jenkins
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ciarán Frawley
    23. Josh van der Flier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Starting Connors and leaving Conan on the bench would be a big mistake imo. Gaems against LAR don't open up in the second half, that's when the arm-wrestle really begins. Conan will likely have more chance to carry and do more damage in the first half. Leinster will most likely have to make more tackles in the second half and that's when a fresh Connors would be a huge asset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't see how Connors comes into this game having not really featured at all lately.

In fact, where has he been?

Advertisement