Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I hope Botia gets reffed tomorrow, as good as he is he has a bit of a McCaw vibe going on.. he was on his hands and knees a few times against the Stormers and still managed to get a penalty..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This time tomorrow, this thread is going to be one of two absolute extremes. Sheer despair or utter jubilation.

I am equally so very anxious and excited about the game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a biggie for Ross Byrne. I'd have gone with HB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He also just acted the complete thug against Leinster in the pool game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I’m not confident here at all.

I think Ryan is an incalculable loss and Ringrose is so important for our defence.

I don’t like the 6-2 split or the Connors pick because it smacks of worrying more about the opposition than playing your own game. Connors is very good but he’s not at VDF level at all.

Obviously I will be delighted to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

With so little between the teams it can go either way

At the end of the day if Leinster lose then they will just continue on, developing players etc

It's bigger for La Rochelle, they have an aging team. Can they afford another huge rebuild at large expense? they are now one of the top teams in Europe so players will demand top wages to sign. They also have a next to zero academy. The entire population of La Rochelle would fit in Twickenham. They are the modern day Toulon without a vocal president but even Toulon have twice the population La Rochelle has

ROG will drop them once it's going the other direction.

All just my opinion, but I can't see how La Rochelle is a sustainable model going forward without someone losing a lot of money

TV money in France is massive and they sell out every home game. They also announced a raft of really long contract extensions this year, Alldritt to 2028 or something, etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think any comparisons to Toulon are wide of the mark. For example, it's pretty well known that Botia and Atonio played for them in Pro D2 over a decade ago.

It's really not like Toulon circa 2014 who had a cast of the biggest names in world rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Good luck today, lads. I think La Rochelle's injured players are more significant than Leinster's so think it tips it in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Connors is looking back to his best. He gets attention for how good his tackling is but he's a brilliant poacher and offloader as well. He's also a great lineout option.

I hear what you are saying about worrying about the opposition, but we've lost 3 times when we went with our normal selection and won last time with the Connors card

Game is sold out. Thought 40k would have been good going tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭50HX

Super job by leinster marketing to get the pricing for this correct.Great to see a sell out.

Best of luck to ye

Hope it's a game for the ages & not a YC or lack of decision that's the talking point after.

9 -10-12 channels key for both in this imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭This is it

Praying to the rugby God's for a win, and a decent match, but primarily a win!

I'll go 22 - 12

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

the game sold itself. Two best teams in Europe over the last 4 years facing rash other off and a repeat of last two finals. This is salivating stuff for rugby fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

6-2 was the right call

But they’ve gone and made a bit of a balls of the selection.

vdF should be starting this game. I was all for Connors off the bench.

Not confident in Ross at all. He looks a shadow of himself and he wasn’t even good enough in the final last year. I know that is really harsh but I’m worried that we have seen the ceiling of what he can do and it isn’t good enough.

Having said all of that at least they got the Baird-McCarthy-Jenkins selection correct.

IF Leinster nail their set-piece they can still win.

All eyes on the first scrum and the Atonio belly flop.

Need another world class performance from JGP and McCarthy to smash everything in his path. Prob also need Baird to have one of his best performances ever in the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leaning towards La Rochelle for this one. They've beaten us twice in European Finals and simply know how to wear us down. The absence of Ringrose and Ryan robs us of infield leadership and world class ability. There hasn't been a better 13 in the world over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It’s only when Ringrose doesn’t play is his ability then appreciated. Fully agree he is world class and has been for nearly 10 years now.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how Osborne goes. I’ve no worries about him with the ball in hand and I hope he is utilised with Lowe for clearing kicks.

use Lowe as a dummy once or twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭50HX

Maybe so but great to hear of it being more of a family event & not completely an alickadoo / hi how or you brigade

The ticket pricing facilitates this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's a massive blow. Appears he has been carrying injury since Six Nations

Keenan was hobbling a bit after the Leicester game, but I had hoped that he'd be ok for this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

well ****, that would be terrible

Both teams without their first choice fullbacks. Leyds is a better replacement that Frawley I think tho.

Injury to JOB really hobbling us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

yeah Keenan definitely isn’t right, better to rule him out now than five minutes into the match.

Balls anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

If you know anybody selling tickets, let me know. Tickets now sold out and was too late purchasing them

Advertisement