Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bazzo wrote: »

Deserving of punishment alright. I don't know how Wilson having Porter in a choke hold didn't warrant a red. Clear as day nothing to do with the flow of the game at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Deserving of punishment alright. I don't know how Wilson having Porter in a choke hold didn't warrant a red. Clear as day nothing to do with the flow of the game at that point.

Yep, was dangerous play and nothing to do with the actual game. You can get a red for tackling slightly high and making unintentional head contact but only a yellow for intentionally suplexing and then holding a player in a choke hold :confused: Murphy got away with his grab at Hasting’s face but will be rightly cited. No excuse for having your hands near an opponents head much less the eye area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Bazzo wrote: »

Impossible to justify that.
    Lengthy ban awaits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭OldRio

Impossible to justify that.
    Lengthy ban awaits

To be honest I for one would not have done that with an open hand. I would have flattened the bastard with a clenched fist.

(Yes I know it's not the correct thing to do but players acting the bollox were put in their place years ago. Usually their backs.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Give the boys a break, very hard to hit top form in a Mickey Mouse cup. We walked the league when it mattered. We have huge injuries and just deserve a holiday. Sad to see petty criticism of players who have done so much for the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Indeed, being handsomely paid to do something they love has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't know why they continue to play the regular lads. They should be playing more academy lads ,imo. No point playing Ringrose etc, the season ended with the losses to La Rochelle and the 1st match against Munster in the Rainbow cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I don't know why they continue to play the regular lads. They should be playing more academy lads ,imo. No point playing Ringrose etc, the season ended with the losses to La Rochelle and the 1st match against Munster in the Rainbow cup.

More than 59 in one season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

OldRio wrote: »
    To be honest I for one would not have done that with an open hand. I would have flattened the bastard with a clenched fist.

(Yes I know it's not the correct thing to do but players acting the bollox were put in their place years ago. Usually their backs.)

I have to admit that I was praying someone would do just that to Hastings last night.

(Ideally Bent, whose suspension wouldn't have affected him or Leinster too much.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah teams lately have been absolutely cobbled together there was very little wiggle room to make many changes from the selected teams. Whilst the tournament was a waste they still have to play the players that are fit and available. Plenty of people got run outs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland have two matches in the summer. Those players need games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I can't get the thought out of my head that with a better TMO that Glasgow try doesn't stand as they wouldn't need a captains challenge and would have just called it forward rather that the whole officiating team looking to justify their decision

The same Glasgow try were Ross Byrne got away with a late shoulder charge and Cian Kelleher should have been binned (for consistency) for cynical play pulling back Hastings before he received the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm sure the regular lads want to stay fit and perform well in case a Lions call comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ruggabugga101

Andrew Porter seemingly has a broken ankle from pointless rainbow cup game - poor ****er if true, bye bye Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Watched the Glasgow game again and really that second half is one of the worst we've played in a long time. We were quite decent in the opening 40. We started slowly again, which is a concern, but after a while we got going.

Won the collisions, played with pace and a bit of intricacy in the backs, which we haven't seen much of recently, and varied the point of attack. Ringrose in particular played very well in the 40. Put in two lovely kicks behind the Glasgow defence deep into their 22.

But that second half was dire and I'm at a loss to explain how that happened. Glasgow got niggly and rather than keep to our game we got sucked in to a dog fight. Our execution went to pot in open play and in the set piece. We started losing the collisions and ignoring overlaps to take contact instead. Very poor stuff.

On the plus side, Hugo Keenan again played well as did VDF and Doris.

Devastating news on Porter. If it's a long term injury, suddenly the addition of Alaalatoa is a vital one to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Andrew Porter seemingly has a broken ankle from pointless rainbow cup game - poor ****er if true, bye bye Lions tour.

Toe injury. Not an ankle injury

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ruggabugga101

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Toe injury. Not an ankle injury

Yep so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Jesus. Poor bastard. He'll have to have some serious mental strength to not go nuts over that. Gutted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jack Conan playing for a pointless game next weekend....hopefully nothing happens to him either.

Jack Conan playing for a pointless game next weekend....hopefully nothing happens to him either.

They have to play games, pointless or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sickened for Porter, absolutely sickened.

Fortunately he is very young. Another 2 Lions Tours minimum available to this prodigious talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Best Leinster team for next season?

Think I'd be thinking along the lines of:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. James Lowe
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Hugo Keenan
    15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Sickened for Porter, absolutely sickened.

Fortunately he is very young. Another 2 Lions Tours minimum available to this prodigious talent.

Same was said about Healy mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Best Leinster team for next season?

Think I'd be thinking along the lines of:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. James Lowe
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Hugo Keenan
    15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

Never change Richie. Never change.

Richie is right on one point at least. JOB is a 15 and should be selected there only. Against Glasgow he couldn't get into the game at all from the wing. Has the kicking game and vision to be a very good full back. Unfortunately for him, Keenan is just that bit better.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Conor o brien has done so much this season to deserve ousting ringrose from the best 23 we can select.... His total of 4 mins European rugby is more than enough to cement that place

Great call richie!!
    The evidence is irrefutable

VDF is nailed on for the openside jersey again too. For a while Connors usurped him as he was a bit better in the tackle. But the former has improved his work at the breakdown and has also turned himself into a viable carrying option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Conor O' Brien! Right! Toner!! Jaysus! Holy milkshakes Rich, I don't drink anymore, but I will if these lads are in our best 23.

Advertisement