Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Conor o brien has done so much this season to deserve ousting ringrose from the best 23 we can select.... His total of 4 mins European rugby is more than enough to cement that place

Great call richie!!
    The evidence is irrefutable

Don't forget Jack Conan, Ruddock and Leavy all dropping out of the 23 altogether in favour of Josh Murphy and Deegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    VDF is nailed on for the openside jersey again too. For a while Connors usurped him as he was a bit better in the tackle. But the former has improved his work at the breakdown and has also turned himself into a viable carrying option.

VDF has been superb but I don't think anyone is nailed down in the Leinster back row. VDF was benching for Ireland behind Connors (who was playing brilliantly) only a couple of months ago. I would say it'll be a coin toss again as to who is the starter in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The only real surprise is that people are actually bothering to debate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Best Leinster team for next season?

Think I'd be thinking along the lines of:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. James Lowe
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Hugo Keenan
    15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

I’m honestly surprised you didn’t Christian Johann Stander it and write the long version of someones name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Any word on a citing for Murphy?

They seem to be slow on the uptake for incidents recently, Biggar's no arm clearout attempt on Umaga the weekend before last went unpunished too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

razorblunt wrote: »
    Any word on a citing for Murphy?

They seem to be slow on the uptake for incidents recently, Biggar's no arm clearout attempt on Umaga the weekend before last went unpunished too.

I'm not sure if there has been any citing in the proXX since covid that wasn't as a result of a red card. In fact I haven't heard of a citing in any competition that wasn't as a result of a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Good highlights video of Larmour

Although it would be a lot better with this soundtrack:

Larmour toujours!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He's unbelievable! Beats guys for laughs. If only he could field a high ball!

Porter out of Lions squad!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Porter out of Lions squad!

is that news only hitting the US now??

that was announced yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

No longer Pret a Porter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

is that news only hitting the US now??

that was announced yesterday

The Mail boat only docks at Long Island every Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Clegg wrote: »
    On a slightly more positive note VDF was excellent again. Been my Leinster POTS. He's improved on his work at the breakdown and his went up a few notches as a carrier. He's turned into a rather effective option on the crash ball.

Doris was also impressive. We really missed him against La Rochelle. Conan was good, but the former just has a slightly better all round game. Ireland really missed him during the Six Nations also. The more I see of him the more I'm convinced he'll be Ireland's 8 for the next decade.

Do you know something we don’t know about Doris? Excellent player with skill and nuance but might be lacking when it comes to the big collisions going forward. We need someone who will put their body on the line time after time. Garland seems to think Conan is better suited to playing against the big South African pack over Doris. Perhaps he just thinks he’s the better player full stop. I tend to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Do you know something we don’t know about Doris? Excellent player with skill and nuance but might be lacking when it comes to the big collisions going forward. We need someone who will put their body on the line time after time. Garland seems to think Conan is better suited to playing against the big South African pack over Doris. Perhaps he just thinks he’s the better player full stop. I tend to agree.

Doris barely played rugby this year. Hard to gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Gatland? Doris has played practically zero rugby all season, he was never in the frame for the Lions, regardless of his ability or physical attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I wouldn’t say either are big collision players. Both use speed and footwork to find soft shoulders. Neither are really the type of player that runs over people. Conan at this point is the bigger player physically by about 8kgs but Doris has plenty of latitude to bulk up more over time. I would imagine the fact Doris missed the entire 6n and had ongoing concussion issues, had a lot more to do with selection. Than Gatland thinking Doris wasn’t up to it physically.

Gatland? Doris has played practically zero rugby all season, he was never in the frame for the Lions, regardless of his ability or physical attributes.

That’s a bit of a cop out. Conan only started in 1 six nations game and was only back from injury mid way through for the Italy and Scotland games where he was on the bench. Stander started for 4 games in the 6 nations was far more visible and still didn’t get picked. Your argument about visibility is void.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

That’s a bit of a cop out. Conan only started in 1 six nations game and was only back from injury mid way through for the Italy and Scotland games where he was on the bench. Stander started for 4 games in the 6 nations was far more visible and still didn’t get picked. Your argument about visibility is void.

Conan played significant games for Leinster after starting for Ireland which obviously factored.

Any argument (including yours) about anything is void because none of us are actually Warren Gatland (that I know of...)

Squidge Rugby did an interesting video about the Lions selections and he made specific reference to Conan over Stander.

His argument was that Gatland likes to have a number 8 that has pace and can hold width in the channels. Something Conan offers over Stander and something Doris offers in spades too.

But Doris has no rugby - despite you shrugging off people making this point - it obviously holds some water

Simmonds played no test rugby.

Was he invisible?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Doris played 6 games for Leinster all season, he was obviously never even remotely in discussion for the Lions and his non-selection is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Simmonds played no test rugby.

Was he invisible?

To be fair that decision was to keep the media happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

Coaches, Gatland esp, doesnt give a crap about keeping media happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Coaches, Gatland esp, doesnt give a crap about keeping media happy.

If he did he'd have never dropped BOD!!!

8 years on - I'm still not over it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Like, if you don't see Doris's quality I can't help you with that. He's a brilliant young player. Was Ireland's best performer in the Autumn Cup as a 21 year old and had usurped Stander as the starting 8 by the end of it.

The Lions point doesn't hold much nonsense. Garland isn't going to pick a player who'd only played two games since Christmas for his side. Especially when there are three very good options already there.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

yeah cos keeping the media happy was number one on Gatlands "to do" list

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

he could have left simonds behind and there wouldn't have been any big grumble

I agree all options we have are quality. We need to rotate to keep players fresh and competition within the squad. But it will be interesting to see who wins the selection battle for the big days and Irish games. Hopefully both can stay fit next season. I just wonder about Gatlands selection criteria sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Porter was operated on today, just posted on Instagram from his bed in santry sports clinic

I think Conan at this point is better than Doris. But ,that can change with injuries etc. Conan has had seasons where he has missed lots of time.
    The return of Deegan will be interesting. Of the 3 of them, I rate Deegan as having the upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would imagine with both fit for a big game. We’d see Conan at 8 with Doris at 6. Which wouldn’t be a bad option at all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would imagine with both fit for a big game. We’d see Conan at 8 with Doris at 6. Which wouldn’t be a bad option at all really.

Terrible demarcation of skillset. Send Doris to Munster.

Advertisement