Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah cos keeping the media happy was number one on Gatlands "to do" list

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

he could have left simonds behind and there wouldn't have been any big grumble

He was banging that drum when the squad was announced and refused to see reason.

Don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A lot of players have returned to fitness. Great to see H Byrne and JGP back. Also it's the final appearances for Fardy and Bent. Delighted that they'll be able to say goodbye in front of fans.

15. Hugo Keenan (29)
    14. Jordan Larmour (61)
    13. Garry Ringrose (85) CAPTAIN
    12. Rory O’Loughlin (86)
    11. Jimmy O’Brien (34)
    10. Ross Byrne (103)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (100)
    1. Cian Healy (230)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (24)
    3. Michael Bent (158)
    4. Ryan Baird (26)
    5. James Ryan (49)
    6. Scott Fardy (79)
    7. Scott Penny (28)
    8. Caelan Doris (39)

16. James Tracy (128)
    17. Michael Milne (15)
    18. Vakh Abdaladze (11)
    19. Devin Toner (265)
    20. Josh van der Flier (97)
    21. Luke McGrath (150)
    22. Harry Byrne (23)
    23. Cian Kelleher (27)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Seems like a wasted development opportunity to select players who are leaving like Fardy and Bent and Kelleher. They could have wheeled them out at half time to say goodbye to the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Seems like a wasted development opportunity to select players who are leaving like Fardy and Bent and Kelleher. They could have wheeled them out at half time to say goodbye to the fans.

Ah in fairness. It's a nothing game in front of fans for the first time in 16 months.

The lads deserve the send off and the crowd deserves to give it to them.

I'd much rather it this way as much as I'm in favour of academy development

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah in fairness. It's a nothing game in front of fans for the first time in 16 months.

The lads deserve the send off and the crowd deserves to give it to them.

I'd much rather it this way as much as I'm in favour of academy development

One game right at the end of the season isn’t going to make much difference to any player anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Enjoying the latest (and *sob* last) excuse to not pick Fardy or Bent.

There'll always be more foreigners don't you worry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Stand by for reasons not to pick new TH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

salmocab wrote: »
    Stand by for reasons not to pick new TH

Surely he will stop the development of Furlong and Porter !!!!

Also - an insanely impressive 24th outing of the season for Luke McGrath (out of a possible 25 games)

Can't think of the last time a player was that integral to a season. Probably Isa and his 32 appearances in 10/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Who's left to pick?
    20's lads gone to irish camp.
    Not sure who's left out who hasn't had decent game time this season already.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Anyone know what's happened to James Lowe? I don't think he has played many matches for Leinster this year.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happened to James Lowe? I don't think he has played many matches for Leinster this year.

He's been away with Ireland for much of the season. The latest Leinster injury update says he's rehabbing a back injury.

I've also just seen that Tommy O'Brien is out with a hamstring injury. This season has been an utter diaster on the injury front. I expected ToB, H Byrne and Frawley to have their breakthrough seasons where they they pushed themselves into contention for Leinsters strongest 23.

But all three have been plagued with injuries and haven't managed to make the step up.

Clegg wrote: »
    I've also just seen that Tommy O'Brien is out with a hamstring injury. This season has been an utter diaster on the injury front. I expected ToB, H Byrne and Frawley to have their breakthrough seasons where they they pushed themselves into contention for Leinsters strongest 23.

But all three have been plagued with injuries and haven't managed to make the step up.

The cynic in me has really been wondering what is going on behind the scenes at Leinster. Is training too intense or are the medical/ conditioning staff up to it?

Every rugby squad has injuries. That's unavoidable. But to my mind Leinster have had an insane amount of out of game injuries this season or reoccurrence of injuries while on the come back trail.

But your points on those 3 stand. Tommy got 4 excellent games in a row where looked like he'd be bashing down the door for the 23 shirt in the biggest games but he just hasn't had a clean run.

Frawley and Harry have just had an entire season of coming back from the latest thing. They're box office together at times.

Having said all that. Pro rugby takes time to settle in to physically. James Ryan had frequent niggles starting off. As did Garry.

I rarely find myself saying this but the end of the season can't come quick enough. The aforementioned 3 get to get their bodies right. Adam Byrne and Conor O'Brien come back like essentially new signings. Leavy gets a full preseason. As does Deegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The cynic in me has really been wondering what is going on behind the scenes at Leinster. Is training too intense or are the medical/ conditioning staff up to it?

Every rugby squad has injuries. That's unavoidable. But to my mind Leinster have had an insane amount of out of game injuries this season or reoccurrence of injuries while on the come back trail.

But your points on those 3 stand. Tommy got 4 excellent games in a row where looked like he'd be bashing down the door for the 23 shirt in the biggest games but he just hasn't had a clean run.

Frawley and Harry have just had an entire season of coming back from the latest thing. They're box office together at times.

Having said all that. Pro rugby takes time to settle in to physically. James Ryan had frequent niggles starting off. As did Garry.

I rarely find myself saying this but the end of the season can't come quick enough. The aforementioned 3 get to get their bodies right. Adam Byrne and Conor O'Brien come back like essentially new signings. Leavy gets a full preseason. As does Deegan.

I think Ruddock was stealing the rest of the squads life force all season. Only explanation as to how he lasted as long as he did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I wouldnt say its either about training or medical staff. Connacht got bad run a few years ago. Just happens some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Whats the story for getting tickets for the Leinster game in the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

degsie wrote: »

It was done by lottery for people who renewed their membership last year. So all tickets are allocated I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

degsie wrote: »

What’s the story with getting the winning lottery numbers for the euro millions tonight?

• Advertisement

Woop won the lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I for one am happy to see the season end. It's been a screwball type year, marred with injuries and mixed results. It is peculiar to see the amount of injuries sustained by the squad this year!
    Regarding this season, I think Leinster underperformed even when close to full strenght. There were times when I thought that the team were lackluster and devoid of playing consistently good rugby. Obviously, winning the domestic league is something we can boast about but, for me the season was done after we lost to La Rochelle. It wasn't just losing, it was how we were beaten around the park.
    So, several elder lads leave after this weekend. They have been great team members and players. Michael Bent was a fantastic signing. He will be missed. Fardy too was brilliant for us. He was the hard edge that I think we are lacking right now. Cian Kelleher had a good year for us and while not in the same bracket as Bent and Fardy, he is and was a very good depth player.
    For next season, with the inclusion of the boks, the pro 16 should be better fare. But my hopes are with winning in Europe. To be the best side in Europe is the pinnacle of the club year.
    Next season the squad will have changed. Some players will be playing their final campaign. Others will be looking to push on for more meaningful minutes. My hope is that the likes of Milne and Clarkson can make a positive impact immediately. Particularly Milne, as I think that Healy will be retiring after next season. Other lads I would like to see improve are Dunne and Murphy. Both of these boys are capable of bringing physicality and hopefully a little edge. Unless the pack can up the physical aspects against the top sides, we will continue to fall short.
    I think the squad is still deep and should contend for silverware but, over the last couof years I think the 1st 23 has-been as good as we would have liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's so good to be back

IMG-20210611-195354.jpg

It's so good to be back

IMG-20210611-195354.jpg

Glorious, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone that's there, have a lovely evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

It’s a fairly stacked team tonight and a lovely evening to boot. But I’ll be hard pressed to switch from Nadal Djokovic in the French Open semi presently - 1 set all 2-2. I’ll be switching back and forth but won’t be watching the full game so any updates on here welcome. Then there’s the Euro Championships. What a wonderful Summer of sport!

I'm at a loss to understand how Kelleher is at fault for that tackle. He's down on his knees making the tackle and the Dragons player initiates the head on head collision.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm at a loss to understand how Kelleher is at fault for that tackle. He's down on his knees making the tackle and the Dragons player initiates the head on head collision.

He drives upwards.
    It's that motion that causes the head clash

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's incredible from Doris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Reds have been given for less this season.

Advertisement