Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

There is nothing more annoying than some Sunday driver of the rugby supporting world getting up 3 times during a match to get pints particularly at Lansdowne Road. FFS there is one semi final per year if you are lucky . You can have a pint of slops in a plastic glass anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes because getting up and having a pint is a sign you are not a rugby supporter

Real supporters sit in their seat, no food/drink/toilet to show how much of a rugby supporter they are 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

If you have the attention span of a gnat & are stupid enough to queue up for what passes for "food" or pay through the snot for a plastic pint of piss & can't go to go for slash before the match starts then I **** all sympathy for you. There are about 700 proper imbibing emporiums in Dublin

I've no issues with people having pints at matches and it 100% helps with the atmosphere.

What drives me insane though is people who don't time when they leave and return to their seats. Rugby is extremely stop start. A knock on is a perfect time to head out with the inevitable player down getting treatment and the time it takes to set up the scrum.

I'll never understand people trying to get in or out of their seats as an attack is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nothing to do with whatever a "real rugby supporter" is. It's more about not being an ass to those around you.

Getting up for a pint is fine but if you're doing it non-stop, it's a bit shîtty to people who have to keep getting up and down.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Advertisement

Gone to plenty of games, hasn't been a huge issue for me and I don't see people going up and down as much as been portrayed

Some people have jumped on what the press have said and decided this happens a lot more than it does.

We also have two successful teams, with Ireland and leinster at this stage a number of games the result is already kind of known before kick off. So people are more relaxed and don't mind leaving seat to grab a beer

In any of the big games when Ireland or Leinster are playing against a team which the result is in the balance you will see it less and less. It still never hit the Gerry THornley level which is the entire stadium up and down all game if you believed him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭techdiver

Regarding the drinks in seats issue. I like to have a drink whilst watching the game but I wouldn't dare go to the bar during either of the halves. I will get a drink or 2 before the match starts and bring to my seat and attempt to refill at half time. If I can't then I will go without. My opinion is there is nothing wrong with allowing a drink in the seats. It's more people who are willing to miss 10 minutes of the game to go for pints and piss people off having to get up and down at the same time.

If you want a drink and don't want to be an assholes, just stockpile. Simples.

Mid term start early 😂

People work hard, if they pay money to watch a match, would like to have a beer at the game let them off.

People have too much time on their hands and will find any reason to moan and complain, live a little

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The getting up during the game thing is beyond overblown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ideally, everyone would stay in their seats.

Is it worth getting upset and spoiling your own enjoyment of the game over it?

I never get up, but when I bring my kids, they are forever needing the toilet, want a hot dog, etc., so there is a fair amount of shuffling in and out. It's not the end of the world like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭techdiver

I do think the drinking etc thing is used as a scapegoat for poor atmosphere in the Aviva also. I think it's the greatest load of bull of an excuse I've ever heard. If people are not interested in the game whilst having a drink they most certainly won't be interested in the game sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I would never really go to the bar during the half but I will get drinks before or at half time. But without fail I will need to go to the bathroom at some stage during each half.

Just wondering if it is more acceptable for me to bring a pee bottle with me so nobody is forced to stand for 10 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It can get very annoying depending on where you sit. If you're not going to drink pick a seat in the middle of a row, and if people getting up is going to annoy you stay well clear of the aisle seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

A true rugby fan would just soil himself.

If anyone around you objects to the stench, then they're not true rugby fans either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

No it's not. It's a sh'tshow.

I have been to many games in recent years and I've found the cheaper the seats, the better the experience.

The atmosphere v La Rochelle a few weekw back was one of the best I've ever experienced in 20 years of going to rugby matches. There was a massive number of families and children at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m much the same although I generally bring some cans. I’ve often had to stand up multiple times to let the same people past and it’s not that big a deal. So long as they wait for a break in play I don’t really mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Whenever possible I choose aisle seats for this reason (well the opposite reason) - I like to get a drink and go to the toilet without disturbing anyone. If I end up in the middle I'll go when there is a break in play. If that still annoys people I couldn't give a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Sexton came on to replace Contemponi during that game. The Commentator (English I cannot remember who) said "Sexton is a different type of player, not as confrontational" 🤣.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Nice system at the cricket where the stewards at each entrance will only let people back in at the end of an over. Could be a good idea to make people wait until a break in play

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Guess I'm not as easily bothered about standing up 3 times x 10 seconds in a 45-50 minute period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SheepSeeker

Jazus, we are comparing rugby to cricket now! Next thing you know we will be having afternoon tea at the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Same, I had my kids at the La Rochelle game and they were up and out a few times, but probably no more then anyone else who was grabbing pints. Personally if its a big match I wont waste my time at the bar when I could be watching the game, but each to their own, some days you will be forced to get up more then others, but that's the luck of the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I like to bring a pint to my seat before the game but it's not the end of the world to miss out on that. People will still be in and out, you can't bring drinks to your seat for football internationals and people still go in and out for food, toilets and whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

They do this at Ice Hockey too, stewards hold you in the tunnel, you cant return to seats until break in play

Same at Wimbledon - but I think that's as much about not distracting the players as the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I will never understand the hatred of having to stand up and let someone pass you. It takes 2 seconds, and most people do it at a quiet time. It's a nonsense complaint.

Edit: I've also never had it (someone complaining) happen to me, or seen anyone doing it, and I've been to loads of games. I'm convinced it's only armchair supporters that give out about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's not a nonsense complaint if you're at the really bad end of the scale.

Most games I've been to are absolutely fine and nobody is bothered about getting up and down a few times, that's life. If someone wants to grab a pint or take their kids to the toilet, nobody in their right mind has a problem with that. It's more the odd game when the getting up and down is relentless and it does happen every now and again.

Posters going on here like people are put out at standing up at all are being a bit thick about it. Nobody is that sensitive.

Advertisement