Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Rugbyf565

delighted we won’t have to defend Sleightholme down that wing channel. Ludlam is also a huge loss, they’re both extremely powerful players who get Northampton over the gainline.

I’m confident we can deliver tomorrow, hopefully Frawley and Osborne can bring their form from LAR into this game. Will be great to see Harry get a run out off the bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

look at it this way, if the GAA allow rugby fans to bring beer to their seats, then they have to explain why their own fans aren’t allowed do it the following week. It’s not worth the headache for them.

There is no legal prohibition on it, just the GAA wanting a quiet life

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just got an email saying I've been successful in the Lions v Argentina ticket ballot. No idea how I'm going to afford everything if we win tomorrow 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

It's a GAA ground, you need to bring a flask and sandwiches I'm sure, choc ices, taytos and club orange only at the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

James Tracy made some great points on Northampton during last Wednesday's Rugby Weekly podcast. They have excellent set piece attacking plays so Leinster will need to be very careful in their kicking. If we kick to touch we have to compete at the lineout because they're very good at manufacturing line breaks from there.

They're also very good at quickly snapping back into their attacking shape upon receiving kicks. So Leinster will need to have their own solid defensive shape for when they run it back. Ireland struggled with that at Twickenham. Fin Smith will also pepper the rush defence with chip kicks over the top.

But Northampton's defence can be got at. They prefer to have as many players on their feet and in the line as possible. It's similar to Leinster's system under Lancaster. Finding a gap out wide is harder, but it leaves open the possibility of making metres in the tight. Last weekend Harlequins had great gain line success with their inside passes close to the ruck. Northampton found it very difficult to stop.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

He was caught out twice in the backfield out of position for 50/22s in that game. He's been electric going forward (as always) but he's still not gotten his backfield game to an international level.

Would agree re: Frawley tbf, he's passed every exam with flying colours so far. See above for Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pigeon123

Hi all - if anybody knows of two spare tickets for tomorrow could you please PM me?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder if Connacht signing David O'Connor suggests Josh Murphy is coming back to Leinster instead of resuming his contract with Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

picnic on the side of the Naas road before Newlands cross. It’s not a day out in Croker without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

We are more cosmopolitan now as a nation

Barbeque on the side of the Naas road

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

More likely tapas with a chilled white 'enroute'

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Deegan to Ulster seems to be building steam. The route hasn't worked well for everyone (anyone?) but he's completely wasted at leinster. Feel like he should have gone for his own benefit a season or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Building steam where? It seemed to me those rumours had got less lately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Story on rugbypass about it

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I’m ready

Best of luck to Deegan. He's a great player, but has no real prospect of breaking into the 23 ahead of Doris or Conan. Baird has also leapfrogged him at blindside.

A few years ago I thought he'd be a cert for the starting back row. He's good at just about everything you'd want from a 6/8. Maybe he lacks that bit of extra athleticism or aggression that the starters have? I think he's more than capable of playing big Champions Cup games though.

There's now a big chance for James Culhane to impress. With the Deegan and potentially Ruddock on the way out, he'll be starting a lot more games. He looks a good prospect and needs as much game time as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think that could be a great move for Deegan. He's a fantastic player, and if circumstances had been different with injuries, he'd have been the incumbent 6/8 for the last few years.

Richie Murphy in Ulster will expect to be able to pull up a few leinster lads, if he can get Deegan then others will follow. The guy is class act and can really add to Ulster team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The team is as expected. I'd have gone with Ngati on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Good move for Deegan and really hope he does well there. He's good enough to nab that starting 8 spot when he's on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It looks like a great idea when the going is good but the FAI and Munster rugby both show where it all ends when the wins dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lmccormack

Hi, looking for two tickets for tomorrow. My 88 year old dad has decided he would like to go, talk about leaving it late. Ticketmaster has stopped resales. Lower stand, mobility issues. Please get in touch,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

No Ringrose, Keenan or Ryan makes this very interesting. Still should be Leinster's to win and Northampton are probably coming out worse in the missing players stakes. Still though, those 3 are some of the first Leinster names on the sheet for a European knockout game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Can anyone help with some advice for going to the game tomorrow please? Are you allowed bring a rucksack in with your own food and drink as we are on a tight budget! Thanks

There are no bag storage facilities near the stadium and only small bags measuring no bigger than A4 (8.27in/21cm × 11.7/ 29.7cm) will be permitted into the stadium. Bags may be searched on entry to the match and to avoid lengthy queues we strongly advise that you do not bring a bag.

From the website

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah I always bring a bag with drinks and snacks for the kids, it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tough on the three core players who are missing out due to injury on the chance to play in that stadium - it might not come again. Still a very strong side.

Northampton are dangerous but for me the biggest challenge is for them to ensure they get the mental side of things right. They looked quite flat at times against Leicester compared to how they performed the following week. Hopefully the venue helps narrow the focus on hitting the high levels they can.

• Advertisement

We have them now lads.

St Vincent's will be a rugby club in three years tops.

Advertisement