Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

From a highlight reel you took a player who hasn't been a starter for his club in NZ into the number 2 slot for Ireland?

He looks a decent player but that's some jump, he has gone from a squad player in NZ to the backup for one of the top International teams in the World.

The player in front of him is not in consideration for what I can see for the NZ team at all.

Ross signed in 2022 from what I can see and I think it was 3 year, it will be up I think at end of next season, he had offers from France before and I woul expect he would be highly sought after, ROG speaks very highly of him all the time.

Harry is still number 2 for Ireland and after a good season with Leinster, without injury which is a huge plus. He could of course kick on next season after getting the run of games without injury.

People need to remember, Leinster got to the final in Europe, hopefully can win URC but will see. For all the complaints about Ross and Harry, not many 10s in Europe are able to manage their team to a final in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Correct! I like a prediction.

To compare to Ross:

He's faster! And as a consequence he's able to run with the ball! He can also pass when running and has better footwork. He can offload. He can kick the ball from hand and looks ok off the tee. He looks like a rounded footballer. And he's from NZ so he's probably blood good at everything. And probably better than Harry.

For the record I like Harry (injuries/form not great track record) but Nienaber/Cullen clearly prefer Ross.

btw if Joey or even BB was playing 10 for Leinster they would have still gotten to the final in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Harry is not number two for Ireland. Two appearances off the bench in the last year for a total of 33 minutes (when Crowley was still on the pitch) when both Frawley and Ross were injured/unavailable does not make him number two for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Irish number 2 spot is 100% available for anyone who can stick their hand up next season

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tipp1991

By all accounts, it's Sam that was the one that looked for the loan move so I doubt there is any external pressure on him to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Knowall1

Bod fairly laid it on the line about Ross on Wednesday night rugby. Said he has never made a difference I 3 finals and a semi final. That his slowness and predicable passing cist Leinster maybe 2 tries. Couldn't understand why Frawley isn't being given a run at 10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah, I absolutely do. I think a primary example of this is the recent change to the CC contract policy etc, a lot of which I believe was driven by noise in the wider media and fans etc too.

I'd honestly be quite surprised if that was the case, or if it had much impact at all tbh.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Lets not forget he can't force his way past a player in NZ who isn't in the NZ squad or close to it.

Just because someone is from NZ doesn't automatically mean they are a better player than an Irish player, JGP came to Ireland and it was years of coaching in Ireland before he became the player he is today.

It made sense to run with Ross as number 1 this season, Harry was injury prone his entire career and Ross ran the team last year to the final, Nienaber(as I keep saying) came in mid season and a lot of the coachs came in post WC

Will they still have him number 1 after a full preseason? we will have to see

If it doesn't make a difference who is at 10 in all the other games to the final why does it make such a big difference in the final? that doesn't make sense

If it doesn't make a difference who is at 10 in all the other games to the final why does it make such a big difference in the final? that doesn't make sense

Because the calibre of opposition improves, presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

This 100%. I'd be extremely worried about a guy going to play with his brother for a 'year'.

• Advertisement

Its more probably the irfu trying to create an economic lever to get guys down depth charts to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frawley isn't a 10, no amount of wishing is going to make it so. It's Paddy Wallace all over again. A very talented 12/ 15 in a pinch being shoehorned into 10 because of a lack of better options

He is a 10. And a 15.

Go onto the Leinster website or the Ireland website.

He's listed as a fly-half/full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster have been very consistent in their selection policy regarding Frawley. They simply don't view him as a 10. He played there for his first few seasons, but for the last five years he has been viewed as a 12/15 who can play 10 at a pinch.

He has gotten a bit more time there recently, but that's mostly due to Ross Byrne being injured or when Leinster were playing a 6/2 split. He's the ideal sub due to his versatility.

The only thing I would flag though on this is that when you bring in a new backs/attack coach, they might see things differently, or someone else might be a better fit for the tactics they're trying to implement.

I thought our attack looked a lot sharper on Saturday after Frawley was introduced, even if by simple virtue of the defence not being able to drift off him so quickly because he's a good carrying threat in his own right.

Bleyandall might want to re-assess the pecking order at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There's no-one really challenging Lowe for his position, so it's not a change you can make to improve the team.

Larmour was very good attacking-wise and in making that covering tackle. But his defensive reads sometimes leave a lot to be desired. In this system when you're left wide open if you get it wrong it's pretty important to have good instincts. I don't think he has it. It's the biggest flaw in his game, for me. I would like to see Jimmy O'Brien on the right wing and Larmour bringing his attacking flair from fullback for the rest of the season. I think Larmour at fullback makes more sense than it used to, based on how Leinster attack and defend now.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

He's had 4 bites of the cherry, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024. Hasn't performed once in the big games. People point to the LA Rochelle game but that La Rochelle team isn't the same as it was last year. Antonio and Danty have fallen off a cliff from where they were. I think it's time for a swap there. He's got glaring weaknesses and even his strengths aren't to the top level. If he was Pollard off the tee I'd excuse a lot of the on ball stuff but he isn't unfortunately.

Frawley came on this weekend and changed the game, that's never been his problem, his problem has been getting the entire backline moving and working as a unit.

Harry has had the team motoring but has brain fog moments. He's also the worst of the three off the tee, it's something I've little trust in him off it. People have been harsh to him due to performances the last couple weeks because over the course of the year he's been our best 10 IMO, I wouldn't write him off however dodgy the last couple weeks have been.

I've no idea where to go, Prendergast has bulked up abit and should be aiming to be first choice in 2025, however thats mid-season and would be difficult for the team to make a decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This whole loan deal to Connacht may be a precursor to this time next season! Ronan Kelleher likely to be the subject and the usual calls for "he's too goo to be a sub" will ring from the usual choir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Do you not agree that Kelleher is good enough to be a starter for the vast majority of teams?

Of course he is! Lol! I'm anticipating the usual whinging and attempted stealing of another Leinster player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No it won't and hooker like kelleher is in a very different position to someone like frawley and you know that

More than a bit ridiculous from you going on about usual calls from usual choir.

It seems like prendergast is open to a move. I doubt kelleher would be .

At the weekend didn't Toulouse have two French international hookers?

Have a listen to the Molecast, they had a very good take on Frawley :-)

To me he is a 12/15 who can play 10 if required as cover and nothing has changed that opinion in a long time

After all he made the NZ tour based on his performances at 12

To me he is. Neither of us are in the coaching team in Ireland so hard to tell

I do know when Farrell has had the chance he has brought Harry into the squad etc

He didn't change the game, if he changed the game Leinster would have won.

That second line is just not true. 33 minutes off the bench this year is not an international number two. He's only played 90 minutes of international rugby. It's probably fair to say that Ross was Irelands number 2/3 when Sexton was around. Now he's likely number 2 by default.

Bringing him into the squad and being 2nd choice aren’t the same thing.

He got 25 mins vs Italy when Ross Byrne was injured.

He got 8 mins vs Scotland when Ross and Frawley were both injured.

That’s really not great evidence he’s 2nd choice.

• Advertisement

Advertisement