Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He was dropped because the moment the pressure came back on him he reverted to the frustrating Harry Byrne we see every time. Forcing stuff, switching off and generally playing as if he had 20% more talent than he actually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭clsmooth

100% agree with this. This year was his opportunity and he couldn’t nail down the jersey (or better said convinced the coaches). I too would have backed him for the QF but the coaches obviously don’t fancy him when push comes to shove. He barely got off the bench in the semi and didn’t make the 23 for the final.

I don’t see it being any easier in the coming seasons considering Ross’ usually good injury profile and Prendergast putting his hand up for more minutes. Hence Connacht would be a good move for everyone rather than diluting Prendergast’s minutes or losing Harry to abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Harry doesn't want to play for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I was watching some highlights of Hurricanes games to try to gauge how dangerous an attack coached by Bleyendaal looks. Super Rugby seems so boring now. Where are the long-range tries, changing of angles, offloads?

Hopefully Bleyendaal won't be expecting Leinster to present him with a zebra in a cage for him to shoot as a welcoming gift. He seems to be into that canned trophy hunting where someone drives up beside a semi-tame animal in an enclosure and shoots it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Well we don’t actually know that unless you have spoken to him about it.

We can assume he wants to fight for his place at Leinster from signing his latest contract (which as far as I’m aware is usually done early in the season, when he was getting more game time, and announced towards the end of the season) but if he wants to live up to his potential, and we’re still talking potential here as he hasn’t established himself as a first choice 10 despite having a great opportunity this season, he may need to consider other options sooner rather than later as he seems unlikely to get past his brother under this coaching ticket and Prendergast is putting an increasing amount of pressure on him and I think will overtake Harry next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

None of the 4 Leinster options want to leave or else Frawley or Harry would have left instead of signing new contracts this year.

Nusofora is out the door so he really doesn't care but it's a situation that should be resolved next year. Realistically it's not a great use of the IRFU's assets having a back log at 10 at leinster and a deficit of Irish options at Ulster and Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

They made some good points on the counter ruck podcast today that the THP they are rumoured to get is pretty low quality to spend an NIQ spot on. I kind of agree. Kind of feel might be better to wait and see if someone shakes free midseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But...he was dropped whilst his form was good? He was absolutely our form 10 prior to the QF and Ross was parachuted back in with no form to speak of.

Load of bollix.. pundits who have no idea about scrummaging.. James Tracy raved about it and he knows what he is talking about it.

This isnt football manager.. harry has turned down moves to multiple provinces.. he doesn't want to play for the worst province in Ireland with the worst coaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Like, of course he doesn't. But he also doesn't want to be third choice at Leinster which I suspect he will be next season.

So what?

He is a year long signing to provide depth and scrummaging power while younger options develops.. he is a valuable signing and needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭hold my beer

There has to come a point when we tell one of the 10s they're surplus to requirements. When will that be based on contracts?

He'd rather be 3rd choice at Leinster than play for Connacht. Like most Leinster players.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's why sending one on loan to connacht is a good option for leinster. They get to concentrate minutes on the others AND see the loaned player get minutes at connacht.

Everyone appreciates JJ and Jack are doing a good job behind a struggling pack. Nobody is suggesting they play for iteland, but they're acknowledged as doing a decent job. Sam or Harry could show their skills for a year while everyone knows they are hampered by a poor pack, and leinster can make a decision on them by the end of the year.

In Harry's case it would likely be a decision to keep him or let him go. In Sam's case it would more likely be to promote him or not. They're at different stages in their careers so they're fighting to prove different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭conquestscarer

Agreed. Ross is limited when it comes to the top level, everyone knows that including himself, not giving Harry a chance was a negative move that cost us in the long term IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I agree. I'd be asking Harry and Tector to go down. Prendergast stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd be more than happy if we signed Slimani. Leinster's scrum actually proved quite potent in the knock out stages of Europe. It got the better of La Rochelle and Toulouse. Replacing Ala'alatoa with someone who is, on paper, a better scrummager is a shrewd move.

• Advertisement

Well we don't know this cause he hasn't had to face that choice yet. I guess we shall see.

Obviously there is also a scenario where Prendergast becomes first choice and Harry is seen as a better backup. Who knows.

But I'd be shocked if we go into the 25/26 season with all four of the current guys on the roster.

Id agree one will leave but I doubt any will go to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭conquestscarer

I think Clarkson will be the replacement honestly. I'm not sure he's there's much between him and Al'alatoa at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

That's one reason I'd like to see him have a lash in Connacht. Obvs there are drawbacks. Connacht aren't great at the moment and don't look likely to get a whole lot better. In a way that's a good opportunity for someone like HB, can he galvinize the team and figure out the best way to play given their limitations? In any case, just having to show up every Friday for a sustained run would be fantastic for him. Most players who experience this kind of stop start in and out of the team exposure find it hard to get any rhythm going, and he seems to be one of those players. I'd just love to see him play 6 or 8 weeks on the trot and see who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Ross isn't recovered from his injury who starts at 10? I have a feeling that H Byrne might be out of favour after two terrible performances in a row against Lions and Ulster.

Is the door open for Prendergast to start? It would be the biggest game of his career to date, but I think he has the temperament for it.

It's unlikely, but there's a lot of uncertainty around the back up to Ross. Frawley is the ideal backs cover from the bench whether it's a 6/2 split or a 5/3. If Ross is injured there's a chance Sam starts.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,818 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Theres a lot to be said for 'form' in the debate alright. Sam had a great game last week, whereas Harry came on and missed a conversion and was taken off the next one. This following one of his worst games in recent memory against Ulster.

I'd be backing Sam to start if Ross isn't available. That said, nothing to suggest Ross is unavailable.

Ross wasn't mentioned on the injury report so I assume he's available. Who is on the bench is the more interesting question and the 6/2 vs 5/3 plays into that a lot.

It was interesting they moved Sam to 15 for the last 20 mins last week.

I still, kind of assume Harry would start if Ross wasn't available but I'm not as sure of it as I would have been a couple months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think the 6/2 split doesn't work for leinster. They don't trust Mcgrath so that means they have one back to cover the entire backline.

They have lots of forward options but they'd be better with 6/2 split which 2 good back options when would have an impact, plus Mcgrath who they can use when they they really have to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Shows a real lack of ambition if that's the case. Rugby is a game that is all about heart and motivation, a guy who folds under pressure is never going to get ahead of the guy who is ready to die for you, even if he has a far higher skill level. Similarly a player can be absolutely fantastic in the skills dept but if he's a poor team mate coaches won't pick him. A player who sees his future as a bench warmer or sitting in the stands in his overcoat watching big games won't be third choice for long, he'll be let go as younger lads with heart come along and push him aside.

Advertisement