Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Leinster have had as many manager changes as Ireland football team over the past 10 years.

On this website by normal punters, yes he's been given criticism. But by the general media he gets a very soft ride relative to performance. Type his name into Google news and see what proportion of the articles about him are negative? Fck all.

You're entitled to your opinion but given the underperformance I think he's getting off very lightly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I dont think there are any eligibility requirements for it? If there are it is internal irfu ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

His priorities should be Leinster and/or Ireland at 15s level. By all means, play for the Olympic Team at the Olympics AFTER the season is over. The only party that has lost out here is Leinster. The Olympics aren't even on right now.

I struggle to see how it's unreasonable for Leinster to expect that they have all their players available to them. But if the IRFUs view is that the Madrid 7s are more important than a URC run-in, so be it. And if there aren't enough tournaments outside of the Leinster season, tough luck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did you read the post you replied to?

By all means do a thing that's not allowed...

• Advertisement

What do you expect from the media exactly? To call for his job? Because every article I've read about the Champions Cup Final and yesterday's game were about Leinsters inability to get over the line and perform when it matters. I haven't seen one article that's shrugged its shoulders.

Well then there aren't enough tournaments for him to make the Olympic team. And that's unfortunate. But it's hardly unreasonable for a team to expect that their players are available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Don't know why folks are getting upset at Keenan. Get upset at the coaches who did nothing to counter such a basic tactic from the Bulls, that everyone knew was likely coming. Just like in the CC final, we saw little adaption to the oppositions game plan, and once again were beaten by an inferior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

I'm sure RG Snyman & Jordie Barrett are really looking forward to playing in front of 8,000 at Lansdowne rd next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think this is correct, that only applies if you aren't eligible under the normal 'birthright' rules.

And sure Keenan had already played sevens for us?

But still, he couldn't rock up to the Olympics without having played a sevens game in five or six years, so the net effect is the same, he had to make the call early, and I think it's absolutely brilliant for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But it's irrelevant. Keenan is world class, but JOB is very, very good.

If we're totally dependent on one guy, even if his replacement is the second choice for the national team, then we're fncked anyway.

And JOB was pretty good yesterday, maybe Keenan would have played better but it wouldn't have changed things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Irfu wanted this and leinster clearly were more than happy to allow him to go play 7s and I don't see why playing for an Olympic medal shouldn't be a priority

What 7s tournaments could keenan play after the 15s season has finished thar would allow him give his best and help team for the Olympics? An Olympics medal shouldn't be so easily dismissed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Just finished watching the match back for review. What a contest.

Disagree with some of the comments that were on here re: Leinster getting sucked into the Bulls kicking game. Leinster lacked territory to launch their attacks for a lot of the first half. There were very few moments in the game where I was thinking "Jesus, why did they kick that?". I'd say there were maybe two questionable kicking decisions in the first half in my opinion anyways: (1) JGP box kick on half way which bounced in field just outside the 22m and went into touch - positive outcome - but from the lineout the Bulls kick downfield and Leinster get a goal-line drop out - so its hard to weigh up. (2) Ross Byrne put up a Garryowen near halfway that I thought they might've ran, but Jimmy O'Brien actually wins the contest. From there, Leinster are slow to the ball and get turned over.

I think the second kick offers a good additional reason of why Leinster wanted to kick so much in the first half. Furlong, the tighthead prop, is the first up in support for JOB. The usually all-action JVDF saunters in late well after he's been played onside, which is very uncharacteristic for him. Simply, I think the Leinster pack were absolutely knackered after 25-30 minutes. They simply couldn't work hard enough to get into shape and build phases - whether it be because of the travel, altitude, minutes accumulated or otherwise. They were out on their feet.

Their only real innings came not from open phase play but set-piece strikes. Doris had a strong momentum carry early on in the game off lineout but got turned over by Hanekom. Inside the 22m line, they learned from their mistakes vs Toulouse and instead of trying to out-maul a stronger pack, they played quickly off the top to their strengths. In the first half, Lowe scores if Sheahan successfully gives the pass inside instead of chucking it on the floor (mind they scored a few phases later anyways). Sheahan was also unlucky not to break through earlier in the half too off another lineout move where Henshaw ran a switch and gave the ball back towards Sheehan coming off the edge. Their territory for Doris' try came from another well executed midfield strike off a lineout. Before the tap and go penalty, they play a nice strike move off the top from deep inside the 22m rather than trying to maul.

At every opportunity, when presented with a set-piece in their half, Leinster tried to attack. I don't think that's indicative of a that didn't want to attack like some posters suggested. When they were put on the backfoot by some accurate kicking and a strong pack, they had to resort to playing for territory. Simple as that.

I thought it was also telling that the phase play only really ramped up from a Leinster POV after the 55th minute when the subs came on. At that stage, all of Leinster's strong gain-line carries were coming from fresh legs: Ala'alatoa, Kelleher, Conan, etc (Doris was the exception to this). That further shows to me that the starting pack just ran out of juice far too early in the first half to put any meaningful phases together.

Aside from that, there is definitely a skill accuracy issue present in Leinster that hasn't been before. It was the same v Toulouse, an alarming amount of dropped balls in general phase play. It used to be the case that when Leinster attacked, there was an air of inevitability around them - that they'd just casually march up the pitch and score in seven or eight phases. This year though, some things just aren't clicking the same. Passes are going to ground or behind players instead of sticking. Who the blame falls upon there is beyond me.

I don't think the Blitz defence is as much of an issue as has been made out by some either. What's weird to me is that in South Africa's blitz system, wingers shoot up like crazy to shut down opportunities. But yesterday, the space down the edges was (for the most part) from Leinster wingers sitting far too deep, rather than shooting up. There were a few times when the ball was barely inside the 15m and Lowe had retreated deep expecting the box kick. This left Baird usually (JGP on another occasion) defending the edge. I don't know whether Leinster felt JOB needed a bit of extra support in the backfield for the game, but it lead to loads of space in the 15m channels. Larmour also found himself deep often on the opposite wing - not really playing that South African style "shoot up and shut down" defence. It just seemed none of the back three were really connected to eachother and the defensive line. None of them were on the same page.

Shout out to Doris, Ringrose (tackled like a demon) and JGP. Kelleher had a strong cameo off the bench as did Osbourne. The entire Bulls backrow were elite, especially Hanekom that absolute freak. He was unplayable yesterday. Also big shout out to Nortje - he's often seen as the "dud" spare South African second row in the national team, but he got through an immense amount of work in the 80 minutes.

Where Leinster go from here, I have no clue. I'm a Munster fan looking in, and it seems that every Leinster fan has a slightly different opinion on who to blame. Some think Cullen isn't offering enough, others think Nienbar has poisoned the place, others again reckon that Goodman is the blame for their stalling attack, while some also think McBryde is underperforming with the forwards available to him. I think someone even asked what Sean O'Brien was offering as contact skills coach. Every coach seems to be catching flak from some angle, and it's hard to pick out what actually needs to change. For me, Nienbar needs a full pre-season under his belt before he can get truly judged. Blyendall is coming in for Goodman already, so we'll see what kind of effect that has. I don't see McBryde or O'Brien losing their roles anytime soon, which leaves Cullen, who nobody knows how much influence he truly has on the team. Officially he is head coach, but is it more a DOR role? Has he taken more onfield ownership since Lancaster left or is that left to Nienbar? These are the kind of questions which need clarity before we determine whether he's at fault for the recent lack of success, and what potential replacements are available.

Anyways, that's a slightly-too-long essay on my perspective. Onto semi-final #2 now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hank the DJ

You said it was the IRFU's fault, I was just pointing out that it wasn't

Leinster rugby is he rugby equivalents of he muppet show - Cullen is a talentless braindead fuckpot - crucifixion would be too good for Goodman Nienaber & is a one trick pony who got lucky - the players are the great academy of he over rated - Ross Byrne should be put down & anyone who he JOB can play full back needs to be neutered

Mod: Warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭This is it

Tell us what you really think

Well that was the first laugh I've had on this thread in the last 24 hours so thanks for that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

inferior? Maybe there’s a clear bias in this statement alone , and the context of long distance away / altitude have to be factored in

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

deleted

Post edited by Billy_the_Kid on

• Advertisement
    Master

Watch out folks ! -we got a badass over here

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

Cruxifiction would be too good for Goodman 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Mod: Edit.

You have been banned from the rugby forum for 2 weeks. Post more constructively on your return.

Post edited by aloooof on

Master

Grrr go get 'em tiger , you are certainly not a person to be trifled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm hopeful for next season. If we get Slimani we could and should be competitive among the top tier. My hopes also rely on Milne; Boyle and lads like Culhane excelling.

As far as the coaching goes, they've got a pre-season with the squad. No excuses! I still don't think we'll see as skillful a side as when Stu was here. I do think Leo will leave, when his contract expires. Failure next year and they all should leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Being beaten in finals and semi-finals is the minimal amount of failure possible and those games were close. Jack Nicklaus came first in 18 majors but he was second 19 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

SA are the reigning WC champions yet again and their club teams are superb. Losing to the Bulls at altitude should not outrage anybody.

Very good post! Wish I could put that together in one post! Lol

I know lads see my posts as negative. That's fair! I perhaps expect too much from Leinster. I see how hard it is to compete on both fronts, especially with a squad that's not together all season. I stand by my points though. Leinster 2nds were poor. The worst version I've seen in years. The skills and attack were poor. The URC losses to Ulster and in S A were devastating to our season. We beat Ulster last Sat and we're on a plane to S A the next day to travel for a full day. And then to play the Bulls at altitude. So in short, this season is probably seen as a turning point from Stu's era. There has got to be concerns going forward? I am very excited for our 1st match next season. I'm hopeful, I am expecting improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Failure is not getting to the knock out stages or getting knocked out in the first round of knock out etc

Getting to a final is not a failure, never has and never will be, unless of course you are just two teams and you don't have to qualify for the final

Advertisement