Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I was there a few weeks ago. It's every bit as expensive as you remember.

Better off sticking to town and having a longer walk to the Aviva. The Swan on Aungier Street could be a good spot. It's an old rugby pub and you could start from there and head towards Merrion Row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris has won Ireland Players Player of the Year. He beat out Keenan, Sheehan and Hansen.

He's a well deserving winner. Been a consistent standout player in last year's New Zealand tour; the November Series and Six Nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

They also mention the penalty on 71 minutes that Barnes should have given for Ala'alatoa.. it still irks me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Just listened to OTB there. Jesus, you'd swear La Rochelle have blown us off the park in the most recent meetings.

I'm feeling confident personally. I reckon we will change tact in how we played them previously in that we will be going to the corner unless it's a gimme 3. I do worry about who we pulled as ref as the breakdown is going to be key but still think we will rise above it.

I've been thinking about the selection and I do wonder if we will take a page out of the Ireland playbook and put a centre into the 23 jersey. Ngatai feels like he's playing too well to leave out completely. He would be huge to bring on at 60 for Robbie. JOB can cover fullback and Ringrose the wing.

Can't decide if I want Conan or Baird to start. I would probably prefer to keep Caelan at 8 so maybe Baird!?

Bursting for Saturday to come now. Massive shout out to Kuang1 who sorted me out with a couple of tickets. Not the first time I've managed to get one through here so hope I can return the favour one day.

• Advertisement

In the name of god is that a penalty to La Rochelle.

Sorry, thought you were agreeing with Barnes on that one .😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shane Horgan was almost laughable on Second Captains, his negativity went so far that he was claiming Leinster being at home might be a disadvantage, before he finally got interrupted.

I've employed a strategy of not listening to any podcasts/media this week previewing the final, and not really reading anything on it either (once I got the Leinster injury report).

There's nothing to be gained from it, just the same tedious talking heads filling hours with the same boring talking points. Will just make me more nervous for Saturday.

Would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Looking forward to the Molecast but other than that I haven't found any Irish podcasts worth listening to since the42 went behind the paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The second worst part of that decision (after how categorically wrong it was) was look at the penalty that LAR got straight after second half kick off.

Aldritt hits Conan, their LH jackals (from the side) but Aldritt who makes the hit completely impacts Sheehans clear out and LAR get the steal. Sexton even points to Aldritt and Barnes audibly said he thought he was ok.

It was so much worse a picture than Ala'alatoas example it's not even fcking funny. We got absolutely shafted by that. They kicked 3 from it and we got absolute nothing. I'm so angry about it on rewatch again.

If you argue one of those is a pen to the attacking team they both have to be

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah had to turn the pods off this week, nervous enough. Heart of course says we do it, head just feels they'll break our hearts again. I'm sitting here shaking my head thinking about last year, it really was a tough one. Just have to have faith Leo and team have the plans and some plays in place and no nerves for the team. I think the crowd will be noisy especially with the kick off time, jesus just can't even go there thinking about losing.

I'm confident.

Leinster were way off last year - we didn't click in the final, decision making was poor at times, big players made some uncharacteristic mistakes and we were the second best side on the day, and even still, in France, it took a try with the last play of the game to beat us.

This year, they don't have the 'gotcha' factor of announcing Skelton late in the week. They don't have virtual home advantage. And the form of some many of these Leinster players is streets ahead of where it was 12 months ago - James Ryan, Garry Ringrose, Dan Sheehan, Jack Conan, Ryan Baird are all way better players now than they were then.

We've a big collection of players who've beaten everyone in the world this year - from the All Blacks, Springboks, Aussies, French, English etc.

Very confident we're getting that fifth star on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

me three. Usually consume about 3 or hours of rugby podcasts per week at this time of the year, but cant do it this week. Have been listening to a lot of music on my runs and cycles instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It's aspects like this that I think the Munster defeat could work in our favour.

The stakes are so much higher than they already were and a lot of people will definitely be feeling it. I don't think a lot of people expected to lose last week and probably were a little bit taken aback.

The Aviva can fall flat at times but I've been in there for some great days. The atmosphere for the Toulouse game was absolutely electric. I think it will be raised a significant extent for this too.

Can't wait

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the reason atmosphere can be poor at leinster games is because they are more often than not blowing the opposition away.

close games make for great atmosphere.

i think this will be a very close one. i have no doubts the atmosphere is going to bw electric again

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’m the opposite, my head says we will win. Home advantage, less lenient ref, experience from last year and players who are playing far better this year. All logically tell me the bookies are right to have us 7 point favorites.

My heart tells me to expect heartbreak again because of last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Reasons to be optimistic:

1. Home advantage
    2. By pretty much every metric, we've been the best team in the competition this year
    3. Nearly a full squad to choose from, mostly well rested after last weekend
    4. Losing to Munster should have been a kick up the arse
    5. Two losses to LAR in last two years should mean zero complacency
    6. In five previous seasons, LAR have played two European knock-outs outside France - a loss at Scarlets and a win at Gloucester in 2021.

Reasons to be pessimistic

1. Two losses to LAR in last two years
    2. No Sexton
    3. Not clear if Lowe is 100% fit
    4. They have some really big bastards and they won't run out of gas like Toulouse did
    5. They also rested their front liners last week
    6. Even allowing for the selection, the performance against Munster was off

Good post - agree with all of it.

One point to note - LAR played three European knockouts outside France - they lost the final in Twickenham two years ago to Toulouse too.

Botia got sent off after 20-something minutes. Be grand if he could do that on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I remember Skelton when he was with Sarries. He was monstrous but wasn't the player he is now. He has come on leaps and bounds. Obviously, sheer size helps him and he's a tough man to play against. Fitness is key and Leinster are very fit but, having to match up physically with him, Aldritt and Antonio would wear the fittest man down.

That's why Jenkins was brought in. A big robust 2nd row to negate the size differential. For me, Jenkins starts over Molony. As good as Molony has been, I think we lose a lot of power v a very big pack if RM starts. Imposing our game is the winning of this match and we didn't impose it in last year's final. We were poor in the final and whatever role Barnes played just isn't an excuse. Our sloppiness and our inability to play like we do cost us that match. If we don't impose ourselves this Saturday, we will lose.

Peyper as the ref. Does that improve our chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Roll of the dice. Both teams will get screwed over by horrendous decisions. It's just a matter of fortune and not being the worst affected.

I guess that's true. I was surprised not to see Pearce or Barnes as the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Pepyer will not be afraid to give a card for repeated infringements. Barnes is definitely more lenient in that regard. Probably would have preferred Pearce but I’d be happy enough with Pepyer

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed, I've no real problem with a bit of laisse faire by both sides at ruck time, as long as he's consistent and calls it as he sees it. Barnes certainly made a conscious decision not to call things last year (remember he saw the trip on JGP clearly, but it needed the TMO intervention to deal with it). Peyper will not let the crowd dictate how he refs, which will be a good thing

• Advertisement

He reffed La Rochelle v Exeter and the breakdown was like the royal rumble, he seemed really reluctant to ping anything, I don't think that helps Leinster.

Advertisement