Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

They don't have quality depth in some of the critical positions.

Namely at LH, TH, SH and OH. The lack of quality was laid bare v LaR

I wouldn't put the blame on the coaches for the 2nd half non-performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

This was the winning and losing of the match. Poor execution in a 15-20min period.

JGP out on the full 48'

RB charge down 51'

Lowe out of the full 54'

Lowe slice 56' (30mts out)

JGP poor box kick 59'

JGP poo clearance 65'

It's one thing having a lineout on your own 10 or halfway; another thing getting easy entries into the 22.

Still think we should have gone to the corner on 47 mins vs taking the 3.

A try and we're possibly 30-17 up. They got 1 try in the second half despite a lot of territory.

I agree with this.

Jason Jenkins was exceptionally poor on Saturday for me, and has been poor since his return from injury really. When James Ryan went down the tunnel on Saturday we had just kicked ourselves 23-7 in front, and he had possibly been the best player on the field up to then. Jenkins should be able to deliver at least 70-80% of his impact but wasn't anywhere close.

Michael Ala'alatoa has had a relatively poor season, and had an awful cameo on Saturday. In two crucial moments both with his opposite tighthead he executed poorly and it cost us the game - he couldn't get under their prop to hold up the try down one end, and then he makes a stupid, dangerous and unnecessary clean out at the other end to kill our last attacking opportunity.

On Nienaber - I'm really hoping he brings a ruthless, pragmatic, South African ability to close things out to Leinster next season. Was pointed out on the Molecast that as good at Lancaster is at developing players, he finished 2nd four years a row with England in the 6N and maybe he just lacks that killer edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

For whatever reason, when Jenkins came on I was watching him in particular. There was a sequence of maybe 4 rucks, where he avoided making any tackles, and just walked from one ruck to the next. He looked tired already, despite literally just coming on the pitch. Complete empty shirt.

It's unfair to hang this defeat around Lancaster's neck.

If Leinster had Skelton you could argue that they would have won that game AND have a few more stars on their jersey - & I think they would.

• Advertisement

I'm not remotely hanging it on Lancaster at all. I think he more than any individual deserves the credit for Leinster's (and Ireland's) success, and his record of player development is second to none. I'm really sad to see him leaving, and would welcome him back any time.

I wasn't disparaging him in that comment.

But, I am glad to see a new, contrarian voice coming into the coaching ticket who thinks about and approaches the game totally different to the coaches we have there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If Leinster had signed Skelton when Saracens did they'd have three more stars, even if he never played for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Apparently James Lowes mam died a few days before the final.

Sincere condolences to him.

This is 100% the game right there - all of those incidents came after moments when Leinster's forwards had defended brilliantly and won turnovers, and these mistakes just meant they had to keep going back to the well and making tackles, hitting rucks and defending. Energy sapping stuff.

They came at massive moments too - the JGP one came immediately after Leinster had just kicked the penalty to stretch out to 26 points, and immediately after his mistake LAR got a penalty to pull back the three points.

None of these incidents were indicative of overwhelming LAR power game or dominance, they're just bad execution, which gave them repeatedly easy possession and territory deep in the Leinster half.

Lacks that killer edge?

Give him Skelton (or Brad Thorn type player) and I'm sure there would be a very different narrative.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and I'm critical of all the coaches here, not just Lancaster, but Leinster have repeatedly gotten their strategies and in-game decisions wrong in some of these big games.

For all the good things he, and they, have done, that doesn't exempt him for criticism for this.

The other big one for me - I've defended Ross Byrne plenty on here. I thought he had shown some really positive developments in his attacking game this season, and looked ready to step up for Leinster and deliver, and hopefully to do the same for Ireland if called upon, but Saturday really makes me think that isn't the case.

I'm not critical at all of him for the missed conversions, those are two of the more difficult kicks you'll ever face. I do think we should have kicked the penalty after the Danty hit on Doris, but that wouldn't have just been his decision (and I think he was striking the ball poorly for some reason, even the penalties he successfully kicked kind of went over like a burst balloon).

We were utterly directionless in the second half of the game, as both half backs just got totally scrambled and couldn't grab the game.

He absolutely hid in those crucial end game moments, when three points would have won the game for us. You have to want that moment and demand the ball. He's not the guy, and I don't think he will be.

Skelton wasn't the winning or losing of that game. We marshalled him quite well.

Ryan going off really hurt us. Furlong wasn't fit and losing our tighthead and tighthead lock early doors was very problematic.

Lowe and JGP having inaccurate days cost us very badly too.

We were good enough to win at the weekend but a few important aspects of the game from personnel to execution didn't go our way.

Quite early in the second half I turned to my eldest lad and said we were going to lose. He flat out refused to believe it but at full time he looked at me like I was some kind of clairvoyant. At the end of the day that's the important thing. One of my kids legit thinks I can predict the future and I've leveraged better behaviour out of that. Thanks Leo.

Can't understand not bringing on McGrath. He's not as a good a passer as JGP, but he's experienced and an excellent rugby player. It was clear JGP was off his game in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think there's definitely a need for more impact from the bench and it's an area for improvement. However, it might have given us a bit of an additional boost but I don't think it's going to mean our backs don't screw up multiple exits.

La Rochelle left two of their subs on the bench for the full game. It's hard to think that the subs are all going to be an improvement on the starters. But I don't particularly like how we did use the bench. We were slow enough to bring someone like Kelleher on. Sheehan is obviously class but Kelleher is probably more powerful in tight exchanges and La Rochelle were repeatedly trying to squeeze us there.

I didn't agree with taking Conan off when he was one guy who was getting over the gain line with his carries. Front foot ball would have been great to have on some of those exits. It was like the Conan move was pre-planned and they wouldn't deviate from it.

The point of difference for La Rochelle's bench was the sheer size of the guys they brought on up front. Two props that are over 130kg each. Two test level locks in Dillane and Lavault and in Bourdeau they've someone who is big enough to play lock also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Our biggest problem is our absence of on-field leaders.

Like, we have genuine world-class players but without Sexton and Ryan, there seems to be no-one who can right the ship when things start going wrong. Luke McGrath might have been a good call in those circumstances.

If I was McGrath, I'd have a few choice words for Cullen. How far can his star have fallen to not get any minutes in the face of JGP playing so poorly?

Who you play at 9 often has a lot to do with who you are playing at 10.

On that topic - Ross Byrne had no impact on the game, showed up well defensively at times but gave the team no confidence ball in hand.

Looked to have pushed on during and after the six nations but Saturday was a poor showing.

Luke went from being a cert to start last season, to not being trusted to come on at all. He's played with Bryne plenty of times, I don't see how that would factor. If I were him, I'd seriously question my future at the club, and start looking elsewhere.

I thought Bryne's lack of speed was exposed multiple times. It almost seems comical, with how slow he is, not trying to pile on him but at this level it's a massive flaw.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭dublin49

from high in the stand 2 things were very apparent in the second half ,there was a daunting yellow wall we didnt look like we could breech when stuck in our own half and when they were attacking they are making progressively more ground as we tired.We literally played no passing rugby for huge stretches in the second half.The winning of the game was primarily due to territory ,we battered into them in their half and caused mayhem but in our own half that wasn't the case although we defended bravely.The mistakes listed above stopped us getting any foothold in their half and I had a bad feeling from a good way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It's strange Molony didn't try to get up for a steal or two when they repeatedly threw it to Skelton. He's good at stealing lineouts usually.

But I suppose the whole team were out of their comfort zone. There's safely in numbers, i.e. sticking to the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Indeed. We said it last year! What was our excuse 2 years ago? One point or not, they are a better side.

Rewatched and still can't see anything positive that Jenkins brought. A complete no show! This type of match was why he was brought in and he was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but this is the **** that really annoys me. Leinster don't do anything that the other top club sides don't, especially with regards to rucking. But they're the boogeyman in all this? Also seen some thinly veiled innuendo that Leinster are going out there to cause serious injuries. It's the New Zealand treatment from a decade ago it seems.

Genuinely do think some people just don't like that Ireland and Irish sides are quite good at rugby. They want them back in their box.

There's a large amount of sticking the boot in for sure. Just have to take it as a sign that you're on top

Yeah that is what it is. Thankfully I can't read that shite, but nothing surprising in it. Watched the game back on BT and the blatant all out support from Austin Healey and Ben Kay for LAR is infuriating.

He criticises JVDF in the first half for the incident where Bourgarit plays VDF miles away from the ruck.

The anti Leinster sentiment among the English media is great! I love it! The premiership is a shambles and is the weakest league in Europe. The national team are shyte! The sniveling bastards hate the Irish doing well. Austin Healy is a fcukstik. A complete twazzler.

It's funny how they are cheerful, chirpy bagmen when an English side is doing well. I hope Leinster continue the glorious run of stomping the snot out of the premiership sides. It's great to watch.

Any idea of what needs to change for Leinster to get over the hump?

They're not going to go out and sign a rake of players or anything, likelihood is very little fundamentally is going to change, and nor should it.

Despite the tired narratives, we played some absolutely brilliant rugby at times on Saturday. We ripped them to shreds at times in the first half, we smashed their massive carriers multiple times (that stat about them having had 12 negative yardage carries by 55 mins), our breakdown was really effective.

We hit the post twice on conversions. We gave them an easy in for their first try with a sloppy knock on after turning them over. We had four or five sloppy, uncharacteristic sliced clearances from our 22 in the second half. We were pounding their try line at the death but for an incredibly sloppy and stupid error which ended the game. Ultimately, we lost by a point in one of the best games of rugby played all season.

As another poster posted, we don't need to throw out the baby with the bath water. I'm critical of Leo Cullen and Stuart Lancaster for decisions they've made over the past few weekends and in games, but make no mistake they've made us an incredibly formidable team that is easily still young and hungry enough to go to compete and win that tournament again next season. The margins are incredibly fine at this level, and if any of the things I described above had gone slightly differently, this Leinster team would be in the process of being lauded as one of the all time great sides.

• Advertisement

I think the best scenario for Leinster is too get Joe McCarthy as much playing time as possible. I don't think we can beat these lads with Ross M and Jenkins in situ. Certainly, we need a powerful carrying threat.

I'm not trying to bash Jenkins. But I'm so disappointed by his lack of effort. Same with Baird. Very poor outing from a laad that gets lot's of plaudits.

Advertisement