Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You've made that argument before and I don't buy it. If you selectively call offenses, you create ambiguity on when they are applicable. You bring doubt and unfairness into situations, undermine the confidence in the ref and encourage teams to push the laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its not selectively calling offences and every ref in the game does it. at any given ruck you could penalise a lot that doesnt mean refs are selectively choosing infringements of the law.

Which is the entire proble You are literally contradicting yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

ROG has the cheque book again for Jack Nowell so I'm sure LAR will be better too, they'll probably add a few players who are finishing up international rugby post WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Im not. refs are penalising the most material offence. that isnt selectively choosing an offence. they are following the criteria/procedures in place

• Advertisement

That assessment is an entirely subjective affair, despite what guidelines might state. That is patently obvious when you see two refs adjudicate games differently. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We did. Pity about what followed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d personally turn down any one/two year loan deal from leinster on a young player. I’d do it for someone like ruddock/Deegan/Penny no problem. I just have no interest in being the development vehicle for a young outhalf who is leaving in a year or two. There isn’t much upside for Ulster in that deal.

To clarify, I’d Harry Byrne or Frawley on a two year loan. They are already good players and would contribute to winning immediately. Zero interest in Tector. Maybe on Prendergast, but probably no on him too. Most likely ir would be year two before he plays a lot of minutes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The upside is plugging a gap while a young Ulster player comes through. And a two year deal can turn into a longer one if the player fits and enjoys their time there.

• Advertisement

Plugging a gap for when we play Zebre? A 19/20/21 year old OH depending on where they are on their dev path are getting minutes that are setting them up to be a real contributor 1/2/3 years down the line.

Those minutes are resources that i wouldn’t want to spend on guys who are explicitly are here on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

For next season on where Leinster can improve, a lot will depend on how banjaxed players will be after the World Cup, Furlong looks like he could do with a break, truth be told he hasn't captured his old form since the Lions tour

● Baird needs to start 6, he's too powerful and athletic to leave on the bench, could a Baird, Doris, Conan backrow be viable against the bigger sides? eg La Rochelle

● Joe Mccarthy has that heft and ballast power we need to partner Ryan in the second row and is a mongrel on the deck as seen by the Munster game.

● Jenkins should be better next season as many new arrivals struggle initially with Leinsters fitness requirements, Jenkins looked well of the pace on Saturday not fully match fit after spending so much of the season out with a hamstring injury.

● Milne and McKee gave had great seasons especially the latter and should push on again, Milne's carrying is excellent and has improved in the scrum but needs further development, hopefully Nienbarr helps.

● Leinster need to compete more on the deck, feel like our defensive system is more reliant on keeping everybody on their feet for the defensive line

● Tighthead prop is a major concern once Furlong is off, Ala'alatoa is good but not at his level so there's no quick fix here, minutes will be needed for Clarkson and Maguire.

● Kelleher is hopefully over his shoulder injuries and can get back to the form that made him an Irish starter, with that Leinster will not have to rely on Sheehan playing so many minutes through out the season.

With Milne coming along, perhaps a move back to TH for Porter after the WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Baird needs to start 6, he's too powerful and athletic to leave on the bench, could a Baird, Doris, Conan backrow be viable against the bigger sides?

There is no scenario in which leaving VDF out is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Will Nowell help them? To me he's a little over rated. Fair play to R.O.G. He's done incredibly well.

There's always the chance that the loaned player might not want to come back

There's tons of minutes available at Leinster. Turner played a lot of minutes. So did Milne. Injuries will always open a door for the tykes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My ideal backrow would be Baird/VDF/Doris. But it's exceptionally difficult to move Conan out of the starting 15 considering his form.

I do think we need Doris at 8 however. He simply plays better there. Which isn't up say he struggles at blindside either. Just makes greater contributions on the ball at 8.

I'm hoping that Cian Healy retires post world cup. I'd hate to have him block the development of Boyle. Besides, Porter, Milne and Byrne is a good strong trio! I'm looking forward to seeing Boyle get more involved.

I saw some rumour on a whatsapp group that he is going to Munster. I’m not sure how they would know (they are an ulster fan) but that’s the rumour.

I put it in the ‘i have to see the announcement to believe that’ box but i thought i’d mention it.

edit: boyle not healy in case that isn’t obvious.

Well that would be shyte. Awful for Leinster if true.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t stress it. I find it very hard to believe.

If it's a possibility, Leo should sign him today. It's Exeter last week and possibly Munster. This would be poor on Leo if he leaves. Wtf.

Apparently, Hadden, who I rate, is going to Connacht. It's beyond ridiculous at this stage. I thought Hadden looked a better prospect than McCarthy.

Well they play different sides right? Although McCarthy certainly looks physically better suited to the loosehead side.

To me someone like McCarthy who looks like a back row and plays like one in the loose, the fact that he was even able to hold up in the scrum at u20 level is very encouraging. I think if he can successfully put on weight he will be a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Well on balance Baird, Doris and VDF starting backrow with Conan as bench impact is ideal against most teams but when we meet that heavy mutant team like La Rochelle or prime Saracens the pack struggles to impose themselves and have to soak tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It's correct, ref's can't ping everything as they would kill the game. You have to judge materiality, trends, lots of things and then get the things that impact the game and tweak it for the level you are doing as well.

It's a hard job being a ref. Every single one, in every single match gets things wrong. You are looking for around a 95% accuracy and to keep up with play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Boyle is going nowhere

His agent probably looking to get him off the academy deal early.

Interesting to look at who started in 2018.

The team has changed a lot. Only 4 same starters (furlong , Ryan, ringrose and henshaw) quite a few retired, some on the bench now starting. But maybe there is a lack of winning experience in the team now.

We can see that refs don't come close to that standard, and given that the ruck is the most important area in the game, the fact it's so poorly reffed is a massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'd like to see him switch fulltime to tighthead instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leinster are more in need at tighthead so McCarthy had to get a place. To the point where one of the academy looseheads (Lasisi) is after spending the last year converting to tighthead.

Speaking of academy props any word on what Marcus Hanan is going to do next year. I presume he leaving with no promotion announced and Boyle having overtaken him. Will he stay in pro rugby or do something else?

Wikipedia is listing him as year 4 academy but I doubt that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that. Furlong and Big Mike will probably both be in the RWC so having a 3rd choice to eat up some minutes.

Mike was the player with the 4th highest Leinster minutes last season (behind Moloney, Ross Byrne and Jimmy O'Brien) and prop is a tough position.

I reckon his international minutes will go up with the rwc so he might not manage as many minutes with us.

Advertisement