Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Curious to know whether Leinster fans think the difference between Leinster and Ireland in terms of getting over the line in big games is the non-Leinster players in the Ireland team. It has been said by multiple people within Leinster that the players tend to be quiet and/or introverted. Even if there's not a huge difference in on field production between the likes of Pom, Bundee, Mack and their Leinster counterparts, those guys are all big characters which I think likely has an impact, albeit one that is hard to quantify.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭conquestscarer

Personally think the coaching in Ireland is a higher level. The difference between the Irish Scrum and the Leinster Scrum is often huge even though the only real tight 5 player that comes in for Ireland, Beirne isn't exactly a monster scrummager. The level that Leinster play at is also at a lower level so not having the entire Irish team on the pitch can't be blamed for a lack of trophies.

The games we have lost have all had the same template, beat us in the kicking battle then keep the ball. Our defense is great at stopping teams from barrelling over the line for long periods of time but relatively poor at producing turnovers, this has meant that teams that can keep the ball phase after phase can wear us out. I'd argue that our team is very well coached at set piece moves and general defence but Tactically I don't think we are great. Our tactics of exiting the ball hasn't worked in our 3 semi's and finals this season and we didn't adapt tactically at all to these failures. It's something we need to look at.

Think the coaching staff have been great at developing players but when it comes to a tactical battle in the latter stages of the European cup we have been unable to get it over the line 5 years in a row when we should have at least 2 European cups to show for it.

I definitely think it’s a factor - including Johnny, you definitely have a couple of big characters and experienced guys in an Ireland squad including POM, Bundee, Murray, Beirne etc.

Given how fine the margins have been in Leinster’s losses in the past 2 seasons, I definitely think those guys as both players and characters would have played a part in getting them over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Losing to La Rochelle 3 in a row is tough. But there's a difference in these defeats as to the defeat to Munster.

It's hard to gauge the last 2 euro finals in terms of what went wrong. Should the questions be what are La R doing that cause Leinster to play unlike Leinster and how do Leinster not adapt? We can say luck, small margins, if only etc, but at some point the team need to understand that the coaches do not play. It's up to the players to execute.

On the Ireland side of things, I would guess that there's a belief in the changes Faz has made over the last 2 years and there's momentum from the summer tour last year. Add in the fact that La Rochelle are probably better than some of the teams Ireland have played and here we are. Ireland have really come together and the coaching is top level. Leinster have fine coaching too and the bulk of the national squad, so is it likely that there's a difference between the national coaching team and Leinster's coaching?

I think La Rochelle have shown how to beat or cope with Ireland's style. Ireland and Leinster are somewhat similar in style. Sexton playing well makes a huge difference. There's the notion that Leinster beat La Rochelle with Sexton a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sexton was as guilty as anyone of fupping up our exits in last year's final.

True. But he is a driver of standards. A leader. I think we lacked this after JR was forced off.

It’s not that long ago that people were criticising James Ryan’s leadership too.

Players step up and grow into these roles.

Caelan Doris captained plenty of teams at underage as well, and is someone I’d expect to step up for Leinster over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

If Leinster had pom, Murray, bealham and bierne they beat la Rochelle. (I'm not even a fan of pom but he would have brought leadership and lineout which were lacking)

Maloney isn't in the 42 man squad, he's way off required standard. Leavy was saying he's been picked as a voice which is a concern.

Also la Rochelle are a serious outfit. Antonio/Skelton is a better Pairing on the tight head than anything at international level. I'd be confident of la Rochelle beating Wales, Italy, Scotland and possibly England if they played in the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What if La Rochelle had Penaud, Ntamack, Dupont, Flament...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

i think an O Gara coached France would destroy La Rochelle.

Who gets Alldritt?

I believe Aldritt has an Irish parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He does I believe. His paternal grandfather was Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Wikipedia says:

"His father, Terence, was born in Kenya to Irish and Danish parents and lived in Stirling, Scotland before settling down in France. His mother is French and has Italian roots. He has two older brothers: Tom and Scott."

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

The very best club sides are better tactically and are more cohesive than International sides whatever about the individual quality of the personnel, the World Cup is the only time that Ireland come up against International teams that have a comparable amount of time to prepare as a club side. consequently we have struggled in world cups. An International side would struggle to retain the ball the way LR do for phase after phase, maybe the ABs but even then they only really come alive off turnover ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Any news on release date and manufacturer's of new Leisnter kit? I see Munster have revealed theirs ( it's very nice Adidas) Will Leinsters still be Adidas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

I think the Adidas is done? Word is its Castore, but I've actually heard Nike as well

It’s strange there has been no announcement yet. When adidas took over I think it was announced during the season that it would be happening. I like Adidas in general but have been fairly disappointed with them for the most part over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Actually thought the last few kits were quite nice, not enough other gear available though. Canterbury were always good for a good selection of bits.

Yeah this seasons jerseys were the nicest by far. Overall though across the 5 years it was disappointing. Especially the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Would like Nike , ,Saracans Castore Jersey isn't nice at all

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

Nike's stuff for France before LCS took over was always great & they've consistently provided fantastic stuff for Toulouse.

Castore's stuff is pretty poor in terms of quality, pricing & (consistently noted by fans of their teams both in football & rugby) particularly bad when it comes to delivery. Often very long lead-in times from launch to supply & when they do deliver, it's low volumes. I don't know of any fans of Castore teams who are happy with them.

Hadden to Munster.

• Advertisement

My favorite kit maker is Puma. Not a fan of Nike.

Advertisement