Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It kinda looks like they've blended in silhouettes of each county but... there are there more than 12 shapes there? It's really noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I like it, the off white with blue text looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Joe McCarthy is a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Watching his last couple of games our decision not to play him vs la Rochelle (after playing Maloney not working 12 months before) seems increasingly like a poor call

I think he'd certainly have helped. He's probably starting now. At least when he's available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Jenkins was an empty shirt from the minute he came on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

McCarthy was only just back from injury. Would have been quite a gamble to put him on against that side.

Obviously given Jenkins performance, or lack there of, it probably would have been the better move but it was nowhere near clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Wasn't Jenkins just back from injury himself?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not a two month post surgery injury that McCarty was only back from.

McCarty hadn't played a full game in 2023 at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Senior contract for Sam Prendergast.

He must be seriously impressing in pre-season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

Lee Barron as well. Haven't been hugely impressed by him so far but with Kelleher's injury record, it's probably wise to have extra stock in the hooker ranks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He had a senior contract in the bag months ago. Preseason will have nothing to do with it.

Prendergast starting URC games at out half was a big vote of confidence and this contract is no real surprise.

I've heard through a former player that there's real excitement around him, not just that he's a solid playmaker, his strength / speed / power markers are meant to be excellent. As he fills out he could be a fair unit of an out half which would suit Leinster's playstyle.

It's all hype until we see delivery on the pitch either way, there have been a lot of out halves who've looked the part but ultimately not been able to deliver at the top level of the game. To put down a marker at Leinster he'll need to be able to slot in and run a fairly sophisticated attack, from what I've seen of him so far he excels at the heads up aspect of the game but adapting to the more structured and rehearsed elements will be a challenge.

I like the timing of it though. I reckon there is a decent chance Crowley could push ahead of Ross Byrne later this season and the drama if Prendergast sweeps in and lands the 10 jersey would be delish. I can almost taste the threadbans.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does McKee have a senior contract? With McCarthy coming through this is a bit of an odd choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

McKee does indeed have a senior contract he was promoted last year I believe.

I don't consider it to be strange at all. McCarthy while a strong prospect is still an unknown quantity.

Given we can expect to not have both Sheehan and Kelleher for large swaths of the year with international duty and injury it's prudent for us to have decent depth.

You are obliged to have 2 hookers in every match day 23 which means realistically you need 3 in every extended match day squad in case of a warm up mishap.

Barrons promotion does seem to have come as a reaction to another team offering him a senior deal. He can ply his trade for a year on his dev deal and see where he's at. He definitely does need to show some promise as I don't feel he's at the level McKee was at at the same point of his development as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'd imagine Prendergast was also sounded out from other clubs about a potential transfer and you'd imagine Leinster offering him a senior contract was to try and pour some sold water on any potential move. If Leinster had left him on a development contract then he could easily have just gone to another club for more money on a senior contract.

Congrats to the young lads. Prendergast did need to be signed, he'd have been offered contracts elsewhere. Barron will need to up his game. I think he will.

We're puking out hookers at the moment! A bit of a dry run with the back row. McKee is a damn good player at this point and with Kelleher constantly injured and Tracy retiring, it's very much needed.

He'd have had offers left right and centre one would think.

Any of the other 3 provinces would have tabled a senior deal for him straight away. Especially someone like Ulster.

I'd also be shocked if there were some foreign clubs that didn't at least sound out a conversation with his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

I hadn't realised he was already 6ft4 and 91KG at age 20 until I checked after reading this. If the rest of his game continues to improve and he fills out decently (and even possibly gets slightly taller) and gets closer to 100KG he'll be a very large 10, that'll be something new for Ireland.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I'd be gobsmacked if he gets anywhere close to 100kgs.

He reminds me a bit of Ringrose in that he was wiry breaking through but still had decent kgs on his frame. Garry is 96kg now give or take which is plenty for what he does.

Prendergast doesn't need more than 3-4 kgs on him and he will be fine.

Ross Byrne for example is 6'2/6'3 and he's got about 92kgs on him which is plenty. Johnny is similar too.

Handre Pollard is the biggest 10 that comes to mind for me and he's not even 100kg. And looks a bit of a brute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've been so spoiled by Sexton. He's the complete 10 and has been for years. Very few 10's in world Rugby have as good a defensive game.

He's tall and pretty well built and has for years been able to stop much bigger men from running over him or through him. He has an unorthodox, upright tackle style, but iirc never been carded for a high tackle. Completely different sort of player to say Owen Farrell, who is lauded for his defence but drifts to illegality quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

His height is pretty unique for a 10 at 6'4 you'd wonder if he might be more suited to a second playmaker role at 15 or 12. He has a similar look and frame as a young Jordie Barrett who is 6'5 and about 95 kg.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What difference does an inch or two make to a fly half? I can't really see how it would be a handicap being tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ringrose is 6ft2 vs Prendergast's 6ft4. Its generally roughly about 3KG of weight per extra inch of height, so at a similar build to Ringrose's 96KG Prendergast would be over 100KG.

Pollard is 98KG at 6ft2. Prendergast could very easily be heavier by the time hes 25.

I'm not arguing that having a 100KG+ outhalf is a required thing mind you, just that with Prendergast's size already so young its actually a possibility, for the first time ever for Ireland. Which could result in some interesting new options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

First choice XXIII next season?

I'd be thinking along the lines of:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. James Ryan
    6. Jack Conan
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Jimmy O'Brien
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. Ronan Kelleher
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Cian Healy
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jamie Osborne

Stiff competition for the #23 jumper between Osborne, Ngatai, Larmour and Frawley (if he's not at 22)

Despite sharing many peoples views that Doris best position is 8 he has had the 6 shirt with Conan in Blue and Green now for some time. Overall I think this is reasonably accurate.

Something that fills me with pride is that based on McCarthys recent performances and his clear ability if you told me that was the starting Irish pack I wouldn't even blink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

broadly agree save that ngatai has earned his spot in the 23 for me. Up to others to push him out. Also expect that despite people’s reservations Ross M will remain in 23 for now at least as dedicated lock cover with Baird covering backrow. Also not sure on milne being in starting 23 either

will be interesting to see if new coach has any strong views on selections

I think we will see less of Rhys. Baird will probably get reps at blindside. McCarthy obviously into the 23 at least.

Would not be surprised if Larmour makes a push, if he can stay injury free.

For the weaker opposition, I hope to see Soroka and Boyle. I reckon Boyle will make a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think Osbourne is going to be starting by the end of the season, injury notwithstanding

Advertisement