Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DelMcG

Maybe we can tempt NPC champion Michael Bent out of re-retirement 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He won't be. Tom O'Toole just a spin down the M1 to come home when his contract ends next summer.

David Nucifora is brokering it as we speak.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We have to hope a replacement is lined up or, one of the other lads can step up. I think he's a loss. He's a good player and is important during the 6nations. He's no world beater.

Or Porter can return to the other side of the scrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Only Charlie Ngatai and Jason Jenkins count against the NIQ rule. Samoa falls outside the NIQ requirement meaning Michael Ala'alatoa doesn't count against the rule. Again, I would agree that Pieter-Steph du Toit is a completely pie in the sky signing, I'm just saying from a introducing Nienaber's style of rugby and a signing that pushes Leinster forward, Pieter-Steph du Toit would be an ideal signing. Do I think it happens? No.

With Leinster's strength in depth (once everyone is healthy), it is difficult to find a position that requires an additional signing to strengthen and that is probably why they haven't felt the need to spend big on a signing, however, if their objective is to topple the likes of La Rochelle in Europe, they shouldn't rest on their laurels. If a player falls into their lap who can help Leinster get over the hump, then they should make the move.

Possibly. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a S.A lad. Then again Leinster should be putting as much time as possible into McGuire. At least get him into the easier fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Alaalatoa is NIQ. Your thinking of the Lowe, JGP Fardy rule which is different.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agree on developing the younger players, 100% but equally I think you need at least 1 "old head" that will be there all year round and not away at Internationals/Camps etc.

Given the SA links and sheer volume of players available , the obvious choice would be from there.

Someone like Thomas DuToit or the like - A International standard big lump that can play all year round.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,795 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

they mean from the point of view of the EPCR "non european" player... under which Alaalatoa isnt counted as a non european player. (pacific islanders and south africans are exempt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

There's no such rule anymore in European competition. They got rid of it, along with the limit on size of squad, during Covid and haven't reinstated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

The Kolpak rule isn't a rugby thing, it's a ruling handed down from the European Court of Justice and can't just be switched on and off.

thanks, i wasnt sure about that as i hadn't heard of any possible clashes recently and wondered why.

it was "switched off" during covid.

i though that was only temporarily though

I don't think Big M leaving is disastrous. A lad of equal talent can be found. He's not a starter on any of the provinces. He was probably on a nice wage too.

Jenkins will probably leave too. He's not the lad to get us over the hump. Plus he probably will want to go to France for more cash. Would another niq signing be necessary?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The exemptions from any player nationality restrictions are non-negotiable.

Having restrictions or not in the first place is entirely up to sports governing bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Vast majority of Island teams are Christian fundis too, many from much more hardcore sects than the saffers. Doesn’t make much difference. I’d say the tradition and culture of sa rugby and the absolutely anything to win aspect that Rassie brings are much more important.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Asenathi Ntlabakanye could probably be persuaded to move to Dublin. He'd need feeding though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Larmour is probably a high enough profile player for them to want to stick with him in an effort to play him into form, but, purely on merit, he could well be behind Russell for a left wing spot. He hasn't been especially poor, but he hasn't looked all that impressive either. I was slightly surprised at how slow he looked chasing one kick. He looked a bit sort of stiff and lacking in zip.

Given that the need to develop 12s could be quite pressing with Ngatai likely off at the end of the season and Henshaw missing a lot through injury I think there's a case to be made for getting Brownlee into the XXIII as much as possible. Playing slots for backs are quite thin on the ground. Obviously players like Larmour aren't always going to be at their absolute peak, but if others start grabbing opportunities these questions will start to come up.

Early days yet in the season, of course. I can't help wondering though if a season playing 7s would help him rediscover his mojo. Although it's pretty unlikely he'd do that. Others might grab their opportunity under a new coach and it might be difficult to get back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Nienaber can bring that extra defensive solidity to Leinster we'll be in good stead for the season to come. Not only is it aggressive and organised, but I think an excellent defensive set like the above also energises the entire side. Helps to build momentum and belief that they won't get through you or around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think Andy Dunne was advocating that a few years ago.

It'd be interesting to see at least.

Larmour was fine last week. Can't see him moving over to 12. What happens to Frawley? Henshaw is off the pace but he's going to play when he's fit. At least I think he will. I would think Henshaw will need to hit the ground running. Even when he has played recently, he's been average. Ngati should be off at the end of the season, plenty of time for Brownlee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think leinster will sign a big THP and out of left field, a big back row. Both south african.

Shifting Porter back over could make sense but i don’t see the irfu wanting to do it right now or next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think the IRFU/Leinster will want to see how the next 12 months pans out before considering moving Porter back. The imbalance of propping resources makes it a live discussion though now. Boyle, Milne and McCarthy are all well regarded prospects. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't persist with McCarthy as a tighthead though given he was already playing there at U20 level. Similarly, Milne played tighthead at underage level and for Ireland at U20 so he's potentially an option. He also has the size compared to McCarthy.

If they were going to move Porter, they'll wait a couple of years and it's probably unlikely at that point. They've two tightheads in Furlong and Bealham (just re-signed) that will fill those spots for the time being.

Rory McGuire is quietly becoming a big hope for Leinster, I'd imagine. He's still only 21, is over 120kg and has the frame to put on a few more kilos. If he finishes the season with a dozen appearances including a start or two whilst holding his own at URC level, it will be a brilliant development season for him. The problem is, as usual, that he will attract attention from elsewhere. Munster are likely to lose 2 tightheads next summer and, whilst they're rumoured to be in for a NIQ tighthead, they'll want more than just that particularly given Salanoa seems to have a dubious injury record and Knox is largely a non-entity.

In terms of signings, I wouldn't be shocked to see Leinster focus on trying to bring back one of their departed players like Aungier although I don't think he has developed at Connacht the way he'd have hoped himself. This will be a big season for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Presumably Munster if they signed an NIQ would have Ryan/Archer assuming one stays, NIQ, Salanoa, and then i think 3 academy tightheads? I think McGuire is safe. I really like him as well.

I think Milne played THP underage because he went to school in same year as Josh Wycherly. I think they were in same front row together. He would be an interesting position switch. McCarthy looks too slight to be a THP to me.

Aungier would be a big get to me. He’s is a very good carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Don't forget Larmour was incredibly good for Leinster last season and looked more and more like the Larmour of old in what was still an injury disrupted season.

To me there is no doubt in my mind that he will rediscover his old mojo.

I know Nienaber is unlikely to completely bring in what South Africa do to Leinster. But I imagine there are non negotiables he looks for in his players and back 3 might be no exception. South Africa despite having back 3 options who are diminutive in stature are incredibly good under the high ball. Larmour is arguably one of the worst options there for Leinster (certainly behind Lowe, Keenan, JOB and TOB) and I do wonder what sort of impact this might have on potential selections. We saw again against the Sharks how poor he can be in that department.

I also agree on Brownlee. He's come in a bit like Rory O'Loughlin. Not much fanfare or hype or even knowledge behind him and so far has had strong showings. There's definite potential in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I had a proper look at McGuire last week and he exists in this strange place of looking absolutely enormous while at the same time looking a little bit slight. So your point of having a few kgs to add to his frame stands in my mind for sure. To be fair it's probably par the course for a (just turned) 21 year old. Perhaps I feel he should be bigger because he has an actual proper beard rather than the patchy facial hair his academy peers tend to muster haha.

I know he spent the majority of last season injured and maybe Leinster could have given him some time here and there but it looks like they used that time feeding him steak and they're reaping what the sowed now. He's had 2 promising showings so far so hopefully can continue to develop this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

There is going to be serious upheaval at Leinster at seasons end. Ala'alatoa is gone, Healy will probably retire, Jenkins more than likely will be replaced, Ngatai probably moves elsewhere for a starting role, I could see Ed Byrne move elsewhere for more game time, I could see one or both of Max Deegan and Will Connors going to one of the other provinces for more game time.

Leinster would be relying heavily on the up and coming players like Jack Boyle, Michael Milne, Paddy McCarthy and Rory McGuire to fill in that gap. Realistically, I could easily see Leinster bringing in two NIQ props on two year deals to bridge the gap and allow the young props to develop at a steady pace rather than putting pressure on them.

I can see Leinster making potentially three international signings and an Irish player abroad to improve the squad.

Back up LH - Rory Sutherland is on a one year deal at Oyonnax, I wonder could Leinster sway him back to Ireland after his stint with Ulster. With Porter at LH, it probably would be a hard sell to get Sutherland to accept a bench role.

Back up TH - I could see the IRFU pushing to get Oli Jager back to Ireland to compete for an Ireland jersey.

Starting Caliber LK - A heavy abrasive ball carrier would be ideal.

Utility back - A utility back who could ideally start on the right wing and provide additional depth for Keenan would be perfect.

• Advertisement

Guessing Boyle gets a senior contract and Ed Byrne gets a 1 year deal. That would give the loose head side some depth. A tight head will need to be signed. There's really no choice.

Healy will likely retire and Ala'Alatoa leaving on top of the fact that Clarkson isn't making an impact.

I'm curious to see what happens with Connors. With his injury profile, it's unlikely that another province would sign him, unless it's cheap. There's no getting around the fact that he's played less than 40 times for Leinster.

Frawley is also another piece that's very interesting. He's playing at full back and is definitely behind Keenan. Leinster still don't see him as an out half and he's 3rd choice 12. I can see him move on to another province when his contract expires. Would he be happy to bide his time waiting for Ngati to leave? He'd still be behind Henshaw?

Interesting times ahead.

Advertisement