Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is there an update on the hand injury that James Ryan suffered? I assume he didn't require surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

Thought it was said that he had a minor procedure and would likely have been available for a semi final had Ireland gone through.

So he should be available soon. Although hand injuries are a bastard and some take a long time to heal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"audience members all held their breath, knowing @[Deleted User] 's response was imminent... "

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

He was pictured taking part in training yesterday so presumably he's fit. Outside of Baird, Conan and McCarthy (who all trained last week) I don't think we'll see the other internationals until the game v Scarlets on 18th November at the RDS.

Lowe, Porter, Furlong and Henshaw a week or two later, assuming they're not injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Culhane has started the season well. Put in a good effort against Glasgow and was one of the standouts against Edinburgh.

I don't expect him to break into Leinsters strongest 23, but if he continues his upwards progress he'll nail down the 8 jersey for most league games. He was player of the tournament when Ireland won the u20 Grand Slam in 2022. He has the potential to go very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He’s got huge potential and stood out in a very good U20 team. To use the Caelan Doris route, he started regular games for Leinster in the 2018/9 season. Started his first game for Ireland 18 months later in 2020 6N.

Obviously it’s unfair to compare a 21 year old starting his career to Doris who’s developed into one of the best players in the world, but it shows a potential time frame if all goes well with his development. Avoiding injury and getting meaningful minutes ahead of Doris (25), Conan (31) and Deegan (27) are the big obstacles. Thats an impressive rate of production of number 8s for Leinster over the past 10 years.

You're right about availability being important. Culhane would have more Leinster caps but for injury and illness last season. I think his kidneys failed?

He'll get planty of opportunities if he continues to play well, especially as Doris and Conan will probably have their minutes managed. I also think Deegan is making the switch to blindside flanker too which is helping Culhane get into the side. We don't really have a nailed on starter there for the bigger games imo. Doris has started plenty, but performs better at 8. I'd like to see Baird at 6 long term but he doesn't have the position locked down yet either.

Soroka has been hindered with injury. It's awful for him. His development is hampered and he's only got a handful of appearances for Leinster. This is a lad that I rated and I did think he'd secure the 6 jersey for Leinstet in the urc matches. With the international lads drifting back in, it's hard to see Soroka getting much playing time at all this year.

Culhane is a fantastic prospect. He will probably be on a senior deal next year. Somebody will probably have to leave for game time?

There's good talent at Leinster that will find minutes hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

“It was just from over-training and dehydration and stuff. “It was really out of the blue and I ended up in hospital for like four weeks. It all repaired itself thankfully, but it took a good few months to get back to full fitness.”

Sudden kidney failure in a professional sportsperson. Not suspicious at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm not sure it's unfair to compare him. I think it's quite applicable. They made their senior debut at roughly the same age and stage of their development.

They also had a similar profile at underage.

And they have similar height and builds but Doris probably a rangier slimmer athlete where as Culhane is a bit stockier.

But Culhane as a high performance athlete is absolutely looking at Doris thinking not only should he be getting to that level, but surpassing it. Whether that comes to pass or not is a different matter.

The point I make is Doris is the standard for Irish and Leinster no. 8s at the moment. So it's natural we use him at least as a little barometer for Culhane.

Keep in mind Doris had a full season to breakout for Leinster in his second season (18/19) where he had 15 appearances with 1 European appearance off the bench (although that was a very late replacement for Scott Fardy)

That is Culhanes barometer at the moment and it's a very fair and achievable goal I would think.

And aside from all of that. Culhanes numbers at the moment are very comparable to Doris stats at the same point of his career

I believe Culhane can get to the same level as Doris. Maybe surpass him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Doris is a better athlete imo. If ireland continue to play the same style, Culhane is definitely a better fit than say Gleeson. Although, i’d consider Gleeson a better player. At 6, i think i liked mcnabney a bit better at u20. However, some time to go before any of them make an ireland squad probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

The Doris comparisons are way way too early, let him get to Conan's level or Bairds level first before comparing to Doris. Doris is one of the world's best players, and I'd have him as our best player by a country mile. He has a fair bit of mass to put on the next year or two and then see where he is. I was impressed by his offloading game on the weekend that said, was a lot further along than I expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Oli Jager returning to NH, presumably to Ireland. Would u take him at Leinster? I see he was born in London but went to Blackrock so I assume Leinster is his natural province. IMO Furlong has faded a tad, so a TH backup would be useful. The Samoan lad hasn’t been as good as hoped, I would think. You’d think Jager would get more game time at one of the other provinces though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ala'alatoa has been absolutely grand I think (one moment aside...), but he's leaving anyway.

I'd take him, but I wouldn't expect much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not sure I'd like him to come back to Ireland with Leinster. He's definitely someone who is a case of "far away fields are green" for some Irish fans because he has forged a career in NZ. Ala'alatoa hasn't set the world alight but it's worth noting that he was consistently selected ahead of Jager when they were both at the Crusaders.

As I posted last week, Jager has 20 Super Rugby starts. He's 29 at the end of the season. I don't really see him being any improvement on Ala'alatoa aside from the one (significant) benefit of being IQ.

If Leinster were looking for a Leinster born tighthead to come into their squad, I'd rather they look at tempting Aungier back. He's only about to turn 25 so probably has more scope for development.

Neither will cut it in a big European game though at this point, I'd imagine.

I think he’s improved and was actually pretty decent last season. I imagine he’ll end up at one of the other provinces though.

• Advertisement

Confirmed that leaving crusaders to return to NH. Maybe he’s off to play in Spain…but I suspect it’ll be Ireland somewhere…

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He'll never be a Hayes / Ross / Furlong but he'd be an acceptable back up in most Irish squads.

And he's also had neck injuries which have required surgery which is never a good thing for a tight head prop.

If he returns to Leinster he'll be at a level below what alaalatoa provided, and I don't think he'd have the rugby IP that big Mike could provide.

Could Tom o toole be courted across the border?

The Samoan lad Jager couldn't get ahead of at the Crusaders?

I don't rate Jager to make an impact at any of the provinces tbh. Squad filler for sure but 2nd choice at best in all provinces

They're not too early at all I think.

Comparing him Doris as he is now is pointless.

But comparing him to Doris as he was when the same age is fairly applicable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ringrose and Ryan confirmed as co-captains for the upcoming season.

A good and pragmatic decision. Both have plenty of leadership experience in Blue and Green and would be considered by many as the archetype Leinster players.

Having said that I think captain is largely symbolic these days and not as important as a strong leadership group.

Leinster are clearly prepping for life after Ruddock with elevating an ever more impressing Scott Penny to the role (having just turned 24)

I could see the likes of Tommy O'Brien and Jamie Osborne growing into more leadership roles in the coming seasons also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Interesting that the word on Oli Jager is that he is potentially looking to be released ASAP.

If he is coming to Leinster is Furlong getting a bit of a sabbatical? Or is Healy finishing up? I thought healy might move to tighthead more this season..

Ulster are short tightheads at the moment with o'toole out for a month. But Marty Moores ACL tear was about 10 months ago so you would expect him to be close to return unless he had a set back.

I'd pass on Jager. He hasn't really made a mark in N.Z. I'd rather go with McGuire. He's younger and has opportunities right now to play.

I doubt he'd get 2nd choice at Ulster or Connacht. Depending on the future of John Ryan, he'd be 3rd choice at Munster.

• Advertisement

Advertisement