Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

As impressed as I was by VDF's double jobbing at the lineout, Ireland won that game through the athleticism of POM and Ryan Baird. The majority of Josh's throws were to the front and those two jumpers got off the ground so quick to gather the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'm not assuming he's a superior thrower but he very well could be a more dependable thrower until Kelleher sorts out whatever problems he is having with the task. This is the kind of thinking I guess Im observing in Irish rugby. VDF was not asked to throw in the 6N without having done plenty of practice and being highly coached in the role, same as Murray with kicking. Kelleher is very valuable around the field but his throwing has gone to the dogs, there are alternatives. It is not asking a bus driver to perform brain surgery.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

VdF needs to be focusing on getting his own game back to a reasonable level, not wasting his time practicing throwing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Might we see him on the bench this week:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I would go:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. James Ryan
    5. Jason Jenkins
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Jimmy O'Brien
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Jordan Larmour
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Joe McCarthy
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Cormac Foley
    22. Ciarán Frawley
    23. Max Deegan

Slightly weaken the starting unit to make sure that you bolster the bench.

Leinster are maybe 18 months away from the 6-2 split being a devastating weapon for them. Once Jack Boyle gets up to speed and is on his way to being an Ireland international and once Leinster bring in a starting caliber Tighthead and a quality 3rd lock off the bench, then the 6-2 split should explode into life. You move Porter and Furlong to the bench unit and start Boyle and the new TH. The Leinster bench would dismantle teams in the final quarter of the game.

If we continue with the 6-2 split , I don't think we have the right back up scrum halves to make it work. a slightly more versatile scrum half would be needed who can play on the wing if need be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I was about to get ratty about Boards and their shite takes.

But then I remember @ersatz is quite clearly trolling.

VDF has thrown into a lineout 4 times in his (recent) pro career. won 2 lost 2.

So their suggestion of having a person throw in who has a 50% success rate is a better idea than a pro hooker who is a "guaranteed 7 points for the opposition" is either trolling or just plain unintelligent.

Kelleher could be throwing better but is obviously a better choice than Josh.

Last weekend against Connacht let's look at what ACTUALLY happened with Kelleher...

• We first got outjumped at 2 on a good throw.
    • Then threw an decent throw to the back where Baird got both dropped and obstructed by Connacht. l/o still won
    • Won the next won with Max jumping in the 4 channel.
    • Broadcast missed the 4th one, no way of telling what the issue - let's just assume poor throw to placate you.
    • 5th one was underthrown to the tail.
    • 6th one we win at 2.
    • 7th one we win at 2 again.
    • 8th was won well with Jenkins at 6 with Connacht having gotten 2 men in the air.
    • 9th was won at 2 with a perfect throw and jump given Connacht got up really well.
    • 10th was the poor crooked throw to Penny at the front.
    • 11th was a won with a good throw to 6 where Connacht get a man in the air - good throw good jump.
    • 12th was probably the pick of the bunch - stunning throw to 4 with good movement with Connacht getting a great jump, arced straight over them into Jenkins.
    • 13th was a good throw and win at 4

So won 9 lost 4 for a return of 70%. By no means perfect. But miles away from what you're accusing him of.

And just to add to my point above.

Kelleher was 100% in his previous 2 games against Scarlets and Munster....

So for those of you who are saying his throwing "has gone to the dogs"

Just jog on..... (and please be rest assured while I type "jog on" I mean something else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't like the 6/2 split. Eventually, luck runs out and then we've a forward playing in the backline. As athletic as some forwards are, imagine Penny/Connors playing on the wing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

But what have the Romans ever done for Leinster?

Awful defence.

Smart, skillful play. A walk in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Suggesting an alternative to an underperforming player is not trolling, and unintelligent might just be making a list of events that proves my point. 70% on line outs in a game Leinster should dominate is not a stat to boast about and does suggest there's a problem that may improve with time, but heading into Europe I'd say that line outs will become more difficult as Leinster's season progresses. Both Ireland and Leinster have been suffering at line outs for too long for my liking, steady as she goes is unlikely to be the answer. The Penney throw for me was the one that said loudly Kelleher is mentally out to lunch in that task at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Anyone know when the rest of the stadium will be open for ticket sales for the Stade Francais game on Jan 13th?

Only camera facing tickets available right now - presume it will go on ticket sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Rumoured on LF.com that Connors will start instead of VdF. Horses for courses, that would be an excellent selection to counter LAR's physicality.

Connacht ALWAYS pick off Leinsters lineouts regardless who is throwing. Sheehan had similar nightmares last season.

In Dowling and Josh Murphy they have/ had 2 excellent defensive jumpers who know Leinsters system. In Fardy they have similar. They also have Niall Murray who led the league in lineout steals for a large portion of last season. His brother is also a phenomenal defensive jumper. It's not just about calling. It's about reading body shape, tells, movements etc. Connacht read these brilliantly.

Connacht go after lineouts and they make people work hard for it. They're combative and it's a strength of theirs.

70% is not a good return but games like that happen. It's not ideal but they do

But you've conveniently skipped over my point of Kelleher being 100% in his previous games.... so what you're saying is you're not happy going into Europe with a hooker who has a 90% success rate this season with Leinster?? Yeah I'd say that's either trolling on unintelligent. You're calling 90% "underforming"

Key other phrases include "ROG would consider this a 7 points in the bag" and "his throwing has gone to the dogs"

Unintelligent for being incorrect is a bit harsh. Not admitting how wide of the mark you are after indisputable evidence is another story though...

The Penny throw is cherry picking a poor moment to suit your narrative. It would be like be pointing to Ngatais poor drop from Osborne and saying his handling is poor at crucial times

They usually wait until the rest of the stadium is 90% full or more before they consider it. At a quick glance it looks like the majority of the upper tier that is available is still unsold. I'd be surprised if it opens at all tbh.

Stade Francais just isn't a big draw. We haven't played them in years and they're not a club that have been at the forefront of Irish peoples thoughts in a long time. It's a pity we don't get LAR at home. That would be box office.

If we get 35k through the gates for Stade I think that would be a good return

Post edited by arsebiscuits1 on

We all know what Will brings he brings in spades. We were crying out for someone to stop their momentum when Ryan came off last year. Connors is one of the most technically proficient tacklers I've ever seen.

I sure as hell wouldn't have picked him but mostly because of how lightly travelled he is this season. 1 start against Dragons and then a mere 43 additional minutes across his 3 other games off the bench.

I'd agree with your point about his tackling. The other side of the argument re his lack of gamete is that he's fresh, and VdF has been well out of form recently.

I think to VDFs credit he has been very good. The problem is our barometer for him is World Player of the Year. I don't doubt he's been off the usual high standard that we've become so accustomed to.

But the thing is I still don't think Connors at 100% is what VDF is at 90% (barring tackling which is outstanding always)

Having said that. What Connors can bring is a point of difference. And trying something new isn't a bad thing.

I just don't think Connors is as good at throwing into the lineout which is a major downside on VDF tbh............

• Advertisement

5-3 split. Harry starts. Connors starts. No Conan at all. No Furlong at all

15. Hugo Keenan (58)

14. Jordan Larmour (94)

13. Garry Ringrose (118) CO-CAPTAIN

12. Robbie Henshaw (79)

11. Jimmy O’Brien (74)

10. Harry Byrne (56)

9. Jamison Gibson-Park (129)

1. Andrew Porter (110)

2. Dan Sheehan (49)

3. Michael Ala’alatoa (52)

4. Joe McCarthy (22)

5. James Ryan (75) CO-CAPTAIN

6. Ryan Baird (56)

7. Will Connors (40)

8. Caelan Doris (70)

Replacements:

16. Rónan Kelleher (50)

17. Cian Healy (266)

18. Thomas Clarkson (30)

19. Jason Jenkins (24)

20. Josh van der Flier (130)

21. Ben Murphy (8)

22. Ciarán Frawley (74)

23. Charlie Ngatai (20)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭LostArt

No Tadhg or Jack, feck

No mention of injuries to Furlong or Conan earlier this week. But can't imagine it's a selection decision either.

I like the look of the Leinster pack all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well that team ain't winning.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Comparing the 2 teams I think this has the potential for La Rochelle to put a serious score on Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Aren't La Rochelle in rubbish form? It'll be a tight game

LAR are clear favourites, but it's rare for any team to put a serious score on Leinster.

That's a good Leinster team still. Think we'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

LAR without their star players are in rubbish form. LAR when they brought on the bulk of their big names at half time last week beat Perpignan 28-0 after the break.

I'd pay little or no heed to their early season form when it comes to this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Frawley, Ngatai and Russell absolutely shafted (as expected) by Leo.

This could be ugly

Advertisement