Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster dominated the second half. Completely blew Sale away in contact on both sides of the ball.

It's frustrating that we allowed them two soft trys right at the end, but overall I thought it was a decent performance. The side will improve with more time spent under Nienaber. At the minute they're not quite there when it comes to the rush defence.

Attacking patterns need some work as well. But I think some of that might be down to Ross Byrnes absence. He's a significantly better 10 than Frawley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Harry isn't back for the next game it had to be Prendergast at 10. Frawley is a great player but he's a 12 playing 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Can't wait to watch this one. After reading the posts in the 2st half, I thought we was fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Or maybe you give Frawley another opportunity to start a game at 10. Potentially with a different scrumhalf.

Such as? You think Ben Murphy or Gunne will be better than the Irish starting 9?

I like frawley as a player. I'd genuinely consider starting him at 12 over Henshaw. But he's not a 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I didn't think Frawley was bad, but I would much rather Prendergast be given time at 10 than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst it's easy to point to kicks from hand or a spill as reasons why Frawley was underwhelming, it's the less direct issues that mark him out as a centre playing outhalf for me.

There were a couple of occasions, particularly in the second half, when we had possession and clean ball off an early phase/set piece where our backs looked like a collection of individuals before the ball even came out to them. The alignment was ugly, there was no urgency and, when the ball eventually came out, they all looked on a different page. We went nowhere and it looked like it would take a defensive error to break Sale down (the winger slipping on VDF stepping in was one such error).

That's where an outhalf earns their corn. Ross Byrne will never be an elite athlete. He's barely a professional level one in terms of physical gifts. But between his ears, he's so bloody far ahead of what we saw tonight. He tells people exactly where he needs them. People know their roles and what they need to do. They have a conductor. There are so many tries scored by Leinster/Ireland where Byrne had a touch in the scoring phase.

Tonight, they didn't have that conductor and it showed. Frawley is a great player. He goes well when we are playing fast, off the cuff, front foot rugby. But when the slower more deliberate elements come into play, he's found wanting. Maybe it's a matter of experience in the jersey but he doesn't have time to be allowed learn the trade when there are three other guys desperate to play in the senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

on a more positive note thought jdvf was excellent on both sides of the ball tonight. A lot of big impact plays. Looked hungry which is great to see post rwc

I think JGP has been poor over the last 6/ 8 months. Was one of the main reasons leinster didn't get over the line last season v la rochelle. Maybe being left out for a game or 2 will bring him back towards his best like VDF this evening.

Besides I think JGP was injured leaving the field this evening after his last poor kick

Leinsters bench made a big impact after coming on and played a big part in the side pulling away from Sale in the second half. Joe McCarthy and Charlie Ngatai were especially good.

I really hope the injury to the latter isn't serious. He's in the final year of his contract and going out on an injury is horrible for his prospects for next season. I'd hope Leinster do the right thing by him and offer an additional year if he's out long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Some reports give jgp man of the match

The online reaction to this result is a strange one. Sale got a few consolation scores at the end of the game and now they should be apologised to after being accused of disrespecting the competition?

Leinster battered them for the entire second half and were comfortable victors in the end. It was 26-0 for the half with three minutes to go. If Sale didn't like the criticism they should have actually named a stronger side.

The single overwhelming reason we lost both finals was an inability to clear our lines. That was partly on JGP but mostly on sexton and Lowe.

I don't think JGP has been great but the alternative is Ben Murphy. So this is not a sensible suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It actually should be the opposite.

Sale looked competitive for stretches and did score on leinster, so therefore it was their mistake not to name a stronger side. This performance should lead to more criticism of sale not less.

Its similar to the leinster connacht game, in retrospect connacht should have went entirely full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

An upgrade over whoever else is the third lock. Point stands though, Leinster would benefit enormously against those teams they've struggled with for years. One of the SA or English teams could be this years model to add to Saracens and LAR in the past. Best player stuff is neither here nor there. Willie Le roux has world cup medals, is he a world beating full back? Not really. But he does the business in that SA team better than anyone else. Its a very subjective measure. Snyman could well be the answer to a very particular area in which Leinster struggle. It doesn't really matter whether he is a better player than Ringrose or Keenan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is James Lowe injured ?

Didn't play since the world cup

He was in the players section in the stand last night.

I think he was given some extended leave after the world cup to go home to new Zealand for a few weeks. Hopefully he might see some game time next week and over Xmas.

I get what you're saying. He does add a lot, if he's fit. There's the rub! If he's fit.

That was shocking in the last final. I couldn't believe my eyes. JGP was also poor kicking.

We lost to these guys 3 years in a row. What stands out to me is, when we lose a key lad, we suffer in quality, LaR don't suffer quite as bad.

So for the Munster match, Furlong to start? Clarkson to get another crack? I'm really hoping to see Soroka get into the squad. My guess is there's going to be rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Stade will be sending the espoirs Iin January.

Conor Murray not getting any plaudits on the Munster thread! Yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And that's relevant to the Leinster thread how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hope TOB can come back in soon. JOB has been very hit and miss so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Agree, think there’s a spot on the wing for TOB, but ahead of Larmour at the moment. He’s getting on the ball and been tidy but I can’t remember the last time he backed himself to take his man on the outside. Always cutting in against the grain. JOB was poor against Munster but has been good since. We’re missing Lowes power, finishing and boot on the left.

Just watched this. Fair play to Sale, an understrength team and they put in a fantastic effort. Happy enough with the win. Nothing great about Leinster, still sloppy and underwhelming.

VDF and Ryan were outstanding. Frawley was ok. Ringrose was poor.

Can we get Stu back! Lol. Goodman can't seem to get it together.

• Advertisement

Planet rugby saying that Porter got away with murder strumming. They also say he got by on reputation? Porter is not known as a top scrummager, lol.

Advertisement