Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Absolutely, honestly they could use two. There is no guarantee that Healy plays beyond next season and I think Leinster are about 18 months away from trusting Milne, Boyle or McCarthy long term.

If Healy called it a day, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they brought in a loosehead for a year just to give themselves some breathing room.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What are the supposed rumours?

Ngatai replacement is a bit of a luxury, especially if and when we give up on the Frawley at 10 experiment but a replacement prop is non-negotiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He's looked that age since he was 16. Luke Fitzgerald referred to him as the man-child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

That’s interesting. He’d start at 10 you’d think which is probably the weakest spot in the first choice 15 relatively.

I think it will be Pollard. Same logic, personal connection to Nienebar and I’m pretty sure he is out of contract next year.

The other one would be a THP but i’m not sure who would be available. An upgrade on clarkson as back up THP is second most obvious upgrade in 23 after starting out half. Someone who could let furlong bench if needed would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dmack is contracted to Chiefs until summer 2025.

while its not unheard of to buy out a contract a year early, this is rare enough

Fair enough, was just an internet rumour, don't think it's reported anywhere. This very possibly puts it to bed.

MacKenzie is under contract till the end of 2025; just signed a deal relatively recently with the NZRFU. I'd absolutely love it, but can't see it.

Would not be a fan of Handre Pollard - none of Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne or Ciaran Frawley are ideal or close to the finished product, but that doesn't mean we can discard them. Pollard isn't a fit for me, and would command a lot of cash. I wouldn't want to see this move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is absolutely zero chance of Leinster signing a 10.

Ross would be back up until prendergast is ready, harry i’d guess would leave, and frawley moves up 12 with ngatai gone and becomes officially a very very high class utility player?

With no restrictions, i’d go pollard. It feels like the irfu is loosening up some (which is more of a feeling than fact right now) and i also feel like Leinster are gearing up to be dominant and try to roll off a couple of european cups. He would be very expensive though.

I can’t think of another obvious NIQ slot other than maybe wing which would really upgrade the starting 15 a lot.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Actually with Nienebar’s defensive system i’ve changed my mind. A super athletic wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

A 10/15 is not required though???

Maybe there is a sabbatical clause?

if its a replacement for Ngatai, it wont be an outhalf, it should be a similar utility back.

maybe we could be the ultimate piss takers and bring in Saili for a season or two :D

agreed, it was another posted who presented dmack as an option

Wouldn’t you want osborne to slot in there as ngatai’s replacement?

I can 100% see them going and getting as good a THP as they can. It's utterly logical. Furlong hasn't played big minutes for Leinster in years, and is the wrong side of 30 now. I'm hopeful one of McGuire or Clarkson can come through, but they aren't ready for a heavy workload yet, and will still get plenty of game time as the 3rd and 4th THPs given how rarely Furlong is around.

But if we replace Ngatai (and my preference would be to just extend him if possible), I think it'll be for another relatively more lowkey signing like him, who is versatile.

Can't see the need or justification for going after a superstar style signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Internet rumour from where? Leinster are stacked at outhalf, and not short at fullback. I can't see how the IRFU would allow it.

I don't think Leinster take a big swing on a utility player or a fly half.

I think they are fairly happy with Jamie Osborne and Ciaran Frawley in the utility role with also a bunch of other players well capable of filling in if need be.

Leinster don't have a star at fly half right now but they have alot of depth and some very capable players who can move to the next level.

outside of Snyman and a tighthead prop. If I had to guess, Leinster would spend their 3rd NIQ designation on a loosehead prop.

They are at times getting obliterated in the scrum at times. If they lose Healy and Ala'alatoa, they are losing alot of experience.

I'm not saying Leinster need to sign players for the long term but a one or two year deal until the likes of Jack Boyle, Paddy McCarthy, Rory McGuire, Tom Clarkson and Michael Milne are ready to take over would remove a huge amount of pressure of Leinster's shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PMC83

I read it being discussed on a Leinster FB group yesterday, can't find a thing online about it. Could very much be forum gossip and nothing more. But I'd prob have said similar about RG this time last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

From Wikipedia

In his first season back with the Chiefs, McKenzie guided them to a 31-10 win over the Crusaders in Round One. In Round Five against the Waratahs, McKenzie played his 100th game for the Chiefs when he started at fullback. In a round 6 clash vs the Blues, McKenzie scored 10 points as the Chiefs won six out of six games before heading into their bye.

Bound for Leinster for Championship rugby 2024 to 2025

• Advertisement

It would be surprising if the irfu okayed a loosehead. You’d think Boyle and McCarthy would be priority development guys. Its probably ireland’s weakest depth chart in terms of what is below Porter.

Also, the likelihood of Boyle being ready for euro bench minutes next year seems reasonably high.

I was thinking about a wing but I just can't see Leinster pulling the trigger on bringing one in.

James Lowe

Jordan Larmour

Jimmy O'Brien

Rob Russell

Tommy O'Brien

Aitzol King

Andrew Osborne

Maybe if Lowe went back to New Zealand, Leinster would chase another winger but I've a feeling Leinster will poach Ike Anagu off La Rochelle to get him back over to Ireland so he can be part of the Irish set up. He has played with the Ireland U20's I think the IRFU want to make sure he isn't claimed by South Africa or potentially by France.

Yeah, no way I could see a LHP signing, even if Healy retires and Ed Byrne moves on. Michael Milne is at an age where he has to be capable to back up Porter, and then you've high potential guys like Boyle and McCarthy to get minutes into as well.

My guess is they convince Cian Healy to stick around for one more season after this and just mentor Boyle and give minutes towards the end of the game when he can, but if that isn't on the cards, I think Leinster wouldn't hesitate to bring in another prop. He doesn't have to be starting quality or even be a guaranteed bench player, but just another loosehead with experience.

Leinster seem to go out of there way to make players earn the jersey rather than hand it to them. I think they want Milne, Boyle, McCarthy, Clarkson and McGuire to muscle the jersey away from players rather than just be the natural heir to the jersey.

I wouldn’t waste an NIQ spot on anything other than starting quality if I could help it honestly.

On the wing, it is a feature of his defensive system to have highly athletic aggressive wings. Could be a decent option depending on who is available.

It screws Ireland though from a LHP perspective.

All we have is Andrew Porter.

Nothing in Ulster - and Kitshoff is starting the games that matter. Andrew Warwick is done, and was never close anyway, and Callum Reid doesn't look up to much. Hopes for guys like Jacob Boyd etc, but he's a good few years away.

Denis Buckley is close to the end - and equally never international standard. Can't see Peter Dooley or Jordan Duggan being either.

Jeremy Loughman will be in squads, but he's a guy even Munster fans are keen to upgrade. Kilcoyne is surely very close to retirement, and isn't good enough anymore. Josh Wycherley has never looked more than a URC level player.

The minutes have to go to Milne, Boyle and McCarthy - with an eye on RWC 2027. No other options there. They aren't going to insert an NIQ in there to block those guys and don't think they need to.

I would lean towards they don't obstruct the young LHP's and just get Healy to stay on for another year. It would be extremely beneficial for Leinster if they could pick up someone like Trevor Nyakane who can play on both sides of the scrum. It would give Leinster a massive boost and his age profile is old enough that he won't obstruct players long term on either side of the scrum.

These rumours usually turn out to be true. Cullen is greedy.

But surely McKenzie wouldn't want to rule himself out of All Blacks selection at the age of 29? Unless he thinks he'll be out of favour with Robinson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PMC83

Wikipedia isn't exactly bastion of truth tbf! For me a very strange signing if true, unless he's intending to stick DMac at 15 when Kennan is away. You would hope we have enough at 10 tbh

• Advertisement

Can Ngatai really be characterised as a utility back based on where he's played for Leinster? Has he ever played anywhere other than inside centre - even moving mid-game or coming off the bench? I don't think he has.

Advertisement